Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 9:57:13 AM EDT
I found these pics on the net.  I figured everyone could take a look and see what not to do :)

[IMG]http://www.piscitella.com/JOE/tony_visit/shoting/shooting1/MVC-026S.JPG[/IMG]

Not exactly sure why this kid is shooting the way he is.
[IMG]http://www.piscitella.com/JOE/tony_visit/shoting/shooting1/MVC-028S.JPG[/IMG]

You have to admit though,  the outfits are supercool!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Sloppy is one thing. Complete lack of is another.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Guns and crack don't mix.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Are they related???

Obviously the kid has his support hand low so his thumb & web doesn't get hit by the slide[LOL][NOCLUE]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the top guy doing wrong?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Leaning back, cup and saucer grip...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Not wearing eye or ear protection for one thing.....
--RR
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Cupping for one.
A little backward lean.
Weight distribution seem to be on the left foot instead of even. May just be the angle of the pic though.

On an isoceles stance one should be semi sitting. Knees bent and looking through the sight for proper sight picture. There should be a slight forward lean to the stance.

Kinda like this guy in the white t-shirt and shorts:

[url]http://www.tdsa.net/photos/David%20Shooting.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Is that Geraldo?

ARH
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I've picked up some good pointers from thy Matt Burkett CDs. His comments follow;

Most of the basic shooting problems that I see come from an improper grip (this includes tension and hand placement) and incorrect upper body position.
The basics: Keep the head up and straight - not canted left or right to the gun. Shoulders square. The arms bent. Hands together. Trigger finger free for movement. Both eyes open.
Place the strong hand on the grip as high as possible, both front and rear. The strong hand thumb should always be on the safety. (when shooting weak hand the thumb should also always ride the safety) I relieve the bottom rear of the trigger guard on my guns to put my right hand at a more natural angle and reduce the pressure on the joint of the middle finger.
The trigger finger should not touch or rub on the gun anywhere other than the trigger. The pad of the finger should be used - not the first joint. This will provide better trigger control.
The placement of the weak hand in a freestyle grip is where most people make mistakes. First the fingers should all be under the trigger guard. Your weak hand index finger should never be on the front of the trigger guard. Second, there should be total hand to hand contact at the left rear of the gun. (this is based on being right handed) The left hand should not sit straight forward on the gun. It should be canted at an angle with the back of the hand being higher on the gun than the front. If you trace you thumb on your left hand back past the knuckle to the base by the wrist, this should be in between the first joint and the knuckle of the right thumb. This is going to cock the left hand at an angle and complete the contact between both hands. This also serves another purpose of bringing different arm muscles in on controlling the gun. You should feel the muscles on the top of the left arm by the elbow doing the work. If the hand is straight you will feel the strain on the bottom of the arm.
Both thumbs should be pointing at the target and your arms should be pushing out in a positive tension against the gun. Several schools teach a push/pull technique. Why should you pull on the gun when it is already going that way during recoil? Also be sure not to lock the arms out. This transfers all of the guns energy into your shoulders also does not allow you to work on the recoil of the gun.
The left arm should be more straight than the right arm, which is probably the opposite that you've been told. (If your shoulders are relaxed, not hunched up, and you are standing square to the target, your left hand has to be further out than the right hand.)
Grip tension should be about 60% weak hand and 40% strong hand. Do not strangle the gun. More tension in the shooting hand = less trigger speed. If you have a proper grip you will be surprised at how little work you have to do to control the gun. There are several drills I have to develop your grip, but, a good starting point is to use the same grip on the right hand that you would on a hammer. (what you use to hit nails with J ) Use slightly more tension in the left hand. If you are seeing a significant upper right torque on the gun try increasing the grip strength on the left hand and decreasing the strength on the right. This should straiten the recoil path out for you.
This grip may feel uncomfortable at first. Try it out for a couple of weeks and I bet you will see a difference.
As for the stance I use check out the following:
Have you ever watched boxing? Notice how they are leaned slightly forward, standing on the balls of their feet, knees bent, feet about shoulder width apart, tip of the weak foot approximately 3-6" in front of the tip of the strong foot and their body is loose and relaxed. To find how much to bend your knees, I visualize a vertical line from my kneecap to the ball of the foot. The hips should be in a natural position with the back and your center of balance low over the balls of your feet. I prefer to have the front of the shoulders a minimum of an inch in front of the hips. I lean the entire upper body forward. If the shoulders are at or behind center you will not have any control over your shooting. You shouldn’t feel any pressure on the back or neck muscles in this position. If you are, you most likely are leaning the shoulders forward but not rotating the hips with them. I breath through the stomach for shooting as upper body breathing disturbs the gun. I also try to maintain about 60% of my weight on the balls of my feet.
Get into this shooting stance and have someone push against your outstretched hands. You want them to use a solid constant pressure. If they can push you over, you are too tight or your legs or elbows are locked. As more energy comes in make sure that you don’t rock back on your heels. Your body will overcome it for you if you just let it; rotate the hips and upper body more and bend your knees slightly more.
This will show you how to apply positive forward tension with your whole body.
This is the way to the fastest shooting. Relaxed but in control.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Cupping for one.
A little backward lean.
Weight distribution seem to be on the left foot instead of even. May just be the angle of the pic though.

On an isoceles stance one should be semi sitting. Knees bent and looking through the sight for proper sight picture. There should be a slight forward lean to the stance.

Kinda like this guy in the white t-shirt and shorts:

[url]http://www.tdsa.net/photos/David%20Shooting.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Is that Geraldo?

ARH
View Quote

Probably, looks like he has his ear protection above his ears... he must be firing blanks [:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
i see once again you guys are not in the know.

Guns and Ammo is touting these as the 21st century techniques.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
second picture is really sad because he looks like he has a Wilson Combat or some sort of custom 1911.....

sad , so sad

t
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like they all need to take a shit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
second picture is really sad because he looks like he has a Wilson Combat or some sort of custom 1911.....

sad , so sad

t
View Quote

Looks like a plain Springfield Loaded PX9109L parkerized.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Gucci-flage kicks ass!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
cut-offs are still 'in'?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#20]
That area looks an awful lot like west of Rio Rancho, a suburb of Albuquerque. Those mountains in the first picture look a bunch like the Sandias just east of Albuquerque.

If this is New Mexico, you guys are all wrong. This is the recommended shooting style for our local gangbangers and anyone else that has had a bad batch of green chili burritos. It is known as the "EEEE, I gotta take a shit, Homes, but lets busta cap or two first, OK Homes? Shit, pendajo, odaley yaknow ese bro?"
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#21]
At least they've got a decent place to shoot in their state.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Well....at [b]LEAST[/b] they are not shooting "[b]GHETTO FABULOUS[/b]" style.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Don't be playa hatin my shootin style. I shoot and train Ghetto tactical.
View Quote

How ya pimp hand?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Help out a dummy here please, what is wrong with the cup and saucer shooting style ??? I have done it for years ????
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL! These guys are great! Check this out:

[img]http://www.piscitella.com/JOE/tony_visit/shoting/shooting1/MVC-012S.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.piscitella.com/JOE/tony_visit/shoting/shooting2/MVC-009S.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#27]
DOH!  I was going to post that second pic as a reply to Aimless's post about them being a nice family [:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#28]
lmao!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Help out a dummy here please, what is wrong with the cup and saucer shooting style ??? I have done it for years ????
View Quote

From one [i]dummy[/i] to another, the cup and saucer style is used a lot on TV, but from a control and accuracy standpoint, the "cup hand" is basically rendered useless. Instead, try extending your shooting hand/arm as if you're throwing a punch, and then hold it at the point you'd be delivering your blow--this is the position your arm has the most control and power. And then, to stablize the pistol for aiming and a shot, (assuming you're right handed) rather than "cupping" the left hand under the grip hand, clasp your left hand over your grip hand (and under the trigger guard), and pull backwards with your left hand at the same time your grip hand is pushing forward towards the target, so there is a stabalizing resistance. I hope that was clear, there are better discriptions and many other techniques, styles, and personal preferences. Check out The1_roadrunner's previous post for a better discription of [i]proper[/i] grip.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#30]
That second set of pics......uh........I dunno, man.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

nothing is wrong with it...  if you are a slow fire revolver shooter.

it just offers less control.  you have 2 hands, you re shooting with 2 hands, you might as well get 2 hnads worth of control, ya dig?

try shooting a string of 5 in rapid sucession. somewhere in there your hands will probably separate.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top