Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 12:05:41 AM EDT
I kept having problems, you guys set me up with Ad Aware, Spybot & ZoneAlarm. They worked well.

I was looking thru them, updating & such and found the ZA alarm log.

Every 15 minutes or so I keep getting sent 'packets' from 12.231.192.157:XXXX (these 4 numbers keep changing-1868,3862,3617, etc). They were all blocked.

They are not the only ones sending them.

1)What is a packet?

2) Who is sending these and why?

3) Can I see who is sending these/how?

Thanks!!!

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you check the log viewer in Zone Alarm?

I use the free version. Just click the "Alerts & Logs" tab, select "Log Viewer" up in the right-hand corner, highlight an event in the list, and click "More Info" down at the bottom. That should bring you to the Zone Alarm web site and display a blurb related to the event you selected.

There is also a shareware program called ZoneLog you can get at [url]zonelog.co.uk[/url], that will import your Zone Alarm log file and give you detailed info regarding attempted intrusions (which may just be pings from your ISP).

BTW, a packet is a piece of data. When you send a message or a file over the Internet, the data is divided into little chunks called packets. Each packet contains the sender's IP address and the destination IP address in a special area of the packet called the header.

Overview here
[url]www.ipanalyser.co.uk/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I think that the numbers after the colon are port numbers.  So, if you look at your logs from this site, it would look like (66.202.29.77:80).  That is because port 80 is the HTTP(web pages) port.  It looks like someone could be port scanning(Trying to find an open port on an unsuspecting computer), if these are incomming.  Are you sure that these are incomming and not outgoing?  Is the IP address that you gave your IP address?  That IP address is with attbi.com.  You could always check with them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that is incoming and not my IP address...

After I saw AT&T, it kinda rang like what matt said...'pings from my ISP'...

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
A packet is a block of information.  ANYTHING you send or receive over a network is broken down into packets.  (Imagine the London Bridge.  They broke it down brick by brick, labeled them, shipped them to AZ, and reassembled.  That's what happens when you send or receive anything over a network)

the number after the colon is the port number.  I'm not sure if that's the incoming port or the source port.  Probably the incoming, meaning, the packets were trying to address those ports.

A port is a virtual address that networked computers use.  For instance, port 80 is for websites.  When you request a website from a server, your request is routed to port 80, so that whatever program is acting as a web server, gets the request.  

You probably don't need to worry about it. Zone Alarm is blocking them, so whoever is sending them is wasting their time.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct. The colon is a port #. If it is a specific port number each time, it probably means that something is trying to communicate with a specific service or piece of software set-up to run on that dedicated port. If it's a bunch of different port numbers, then it is probably a hack tool like a port scanner trying to identify an unblocked or open port.

You can always dig a lot of information by doing a WHOIS or a TRACERT on the IP address.

Here's a convenient site that has a lot of tools listed on one page for lookup: [url]http://www.samspade.org[/url]

If you put the IP address in the "Do Stuff" field, it will return a bunch of information about the registrant for that subnet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The zonelog links to whois, but the best part is, these guys are computer gurus like you guys. The 'normal' incoming hits are all traceable, the 'trojan' incoming ones are not traceable. whois is unaccessable.

This computer stuff is way much from my days of Fortran and mainframes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh stop. I still code in Microfocus Cobol on an F-50 running AIX. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top