Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 10:12:49 PM EDT
The lighning bug post reminded me of when we were kids and MAN! I would not trade my childhood for ANYTHING!!

I remember growing up in Long Island and hanging out with my buddies til midnight and we were only 12-13-14 years old and my parents knew I was safe.

Now my poor kid leaves the house with one of my pagers and has to check in every hour or so and that is in the day time. I would dream of letting her out until 10 let alone midnight.

I just hope that when we die and go to heaven we are able to rewind and go back to certain times in our lives when all was good and re-live those moments.

Or what about when you hear a song and reminded of certain moments.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'd save my allowance and buy a shit load of Microsoft stock. [:D]

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure. It's one of those things where you wish you could hurry up and grow up at the time and now wish you could be a kid again. The main reason I'd like to be a kid is to see my mother again. Plus having no real worries was nice.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I am 17 now. I am a college student, when Im not studying, like on break and such, I am a laborer in the masonry business. Part of me misses what I used to do. Screw around, sleep in, play all day when I could. But that wont get me ahead in life. Working and studying will.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife says I'm going through my 2nd childhood.  I tell here I've never really finished my 1st.  [8D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Being dirt poor in northern Nevada in the 50's wasn't exactly spectacular.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell no.

There may have been some good times, but the ratio of good-to-bad was probably 30-70.

My life didn't start until I graduated from high school, perhaps even college.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Im STILL scared of what lives under my bed...

I have to jump and RUN to the bathroom.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I loved my pre high school days.  High school you can keep.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Gee, that's a scary thought.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to live my childhood over again.  I'd get into more fights with the people who picked on me when I didn't realize how much bigger I was than they were.  I'd have been a lot more forward with girls, and I'd have had a hell of a lot more fun.

But I can't complain.  The Lord has truly blessed me with where I am today, and part of this is knowing some of you knuckleheads!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#12]
All the time. And this time I'd be sure to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah it would be cool to be like 8 again and have the knowledge I have now.
AB
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I owuld say yes but then I may make a different choice that would change who I am today.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah it would be cool to be like 8 again and have the knowledge I have now.
AB
View Quote

Thats the only way I would want to be a kid again. My childhood was not very good.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Only if I could just repeat the fun, carefree parts of it.  
I am not overly protective of my children, but when they tell me they can not wait to be 18, I tell them to have fun now and enjoy their childhood.  They better act like kids now because being an adult is not fun.  All I have to do is start listing my responsibilies and it always ends the discussion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Only once in my adult life have I wished to go back and relive my childhood.  That event occurred in June of 1999 when I first visited the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs.  I never saw a more inspiring and beautiful campus.  The fact that the USAF Thunderbirds were flying over the campus that day only cemented the first impression.  I wished I could go back in time, take school seriously, and apply for admission.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd try to get laid more if I could go back to my teen years.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#19]
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of my childhood. While there was never many kids in my area the same age as me to do stuff with, I was never bored. I spent much of my Summer's each year playing army in my grandfather's apple orchard. I had the coolest pre-ban toy AR-15 I ever saw! All black, none of that red crap on the barrel and it looked very realistic. I could pass an entire day in that orchard in what seemed like a couple of hours.

I can also remember my first hunts with my .410 shotgun. I loved being in the woods and it gave me much time to spend with my dad and grandfather. I learned a great deal from both. Now my grandfather is no longer with us, but I vividly remember and cherish the time we spent together and the things we did. He kept and maintained a farm until very old age and I always got to assist him there. It sort of gave me a look and what hard work was like. I experienced things that no classroom could ever teach. And I learned quite a bit about values.

Well, now I find myself a bit older and hopefully a bit wiser as well. I have since finished college and have started my career. My childhood has now faded into the past but it always will remain in my memory. Although one would not think so, I actually took time to notice and appreciate many things then that I no longer bother looking at because I am too busy or my mind is too occupied. Stuff like sunsets, rainbows, the smell of honeysuckle, the sound of the insects at night, the moon, etc. It's amazing how all of those things affected my senses, but now I may not even give them a second glance. Things were so much simpler then.

The only major regrets I have in later childhood (adolescence) is the money I wasted on junk, such as stereos and speakers in my car, guitars, amps, drums, etc! I wasted so much money of electronics and other junk that I could have bought some really nice guns later on if I had used my head and saved it! Oh well, as I said I am older and wiser. But I am glad you started this thread Dr. Fridge. It's fun to sit back and reflect on the past...all of the fun, foolishness and goofing around we did, as well as the more serious times. The memory is an exceptional thing and we should use it more often.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a really cool childhood. To some degree I've been able to relive some of it through my kids ie. (sports, camping, hunting, and stuff)

However, one of the cool things about being an adult (at least at some point) is being to afford the stuff you wanted as a kid. I grew up in the 1960s and always wanted a Honda Trail 90 motorcycle. I saw one for sale a few years ago and now I have two of them.  I always wanted a Remington Nylon 66 when I was a boy. Now I have 5 of them and a whole mess of variations.

I don't spoil my kids, what I have was earned by me. What they have or want they have to earn. Otherwise what's the point of dreams?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#21]
If I repeated it WITH MY MEMORY INTACT I would have to do something that would destroy my present reality.

My father died in an accident at home on December 27, 1965.  I remember the exact time and circumstances.  If I had gotten to him 10 minutes earlier I could have saved him.  I don't know if I could allow him to die again.  I have had a pretty good life.  I would hate to risk messing it up by having him NOT die on schedule.

Christians may view this as not wanting to mess with God's plan.  I see it as a Heisenberg's Uncertianty Principle thing at its root.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#22]
No way. life for me began at 40.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My wife says I'm going through my 2nd childhood.  I tell here I've never really finished my 1st.  [8D]
View Quote

I can relate to that!![:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No way. life for me began at 40.
View Quote

Same here, same time......blows me away. We need ta have a brew sometime.

I DO miss the Maine lobster boats from my childhood....
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Knowing what I know now?  Yes, I would love to go through my childhood all over again.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#27]
my childhood was an embarassment..... even through highschool I did EXTREMELY stupid things which I will not list here. They're done, but buried and I'll keep it that way.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Nah...I don't ever want to go through that again.  My folks had trouble raising me.  We were not very well off financially and they never should have had three kids...least of all a smart mouth like me.  They were abusive and life was pretty violent around our digs, until I finally fired back on the Old Man during one of his tirades when he was beating the hell out of me...which is why I hauled ass at seventeen right after that fight to join the Navy.  Shit, bootcamp was a cinch!

My adult life has been totally different.  Spent 28 years in the Navy, E-1 to O-3E, finally got my HS diploma and graduated from college with honors, married 30 years to the same wonderful woman, two grown kids, super grandkids...good paying job...and just enough evil black rifles.

But...go back and redo childhood?  Never!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I would love to do it all again, but I would do it the same way. No regrets.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hell no.
View Quote

What he said...I just now am starting to feel like I'm living a good life.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Only if I could go back knowing what I know now...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would love to do it all again, but I would do it the same way. No regrets.
View Quote

I can say with 99% the same thing.

Dilemna: One of my VERY close friends committed suicide. His death kicked me hard...REAL HARD. I went into a serious depression for MANY years.

I miss him... A LOT.

Yet the depression I went through made me stronger and appreciate life. His death gave me the gift of life. Stopped acting stupid and selfish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top