Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2003 7:08:03 PM EDT
Anyone seen the video for Johnny Cash's remake of Nine Inch Nails's song "Hurt"? It's amazing. I HATE music videos and this is incredible. Very down to Earth.

[url]http://207.36.117.143/video/cash_h.mov[/url]

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You're right, it is AMAZING! Blew me away the first time I saw it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool video.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
your download didn't work so i got it off of kazaa

i bought the album when it came out, but don't use the TV much

i like his take on the song a lot, and the video is cool
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I love that song. Jonny Cash did it a lot better than NIN did. I need to buy that CD.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I love both the video and song but its damn depressing.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree, the video is awesome. Really creepy and depressing at the same time.

It's really depressing now that June Carter Cash is dead.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
It will be a sad day when it is his turn to go.  I look at that video as him saying good-bye.  One of the most powerfull videos I have seen.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw the video on CMTV about a week or so ago...

They were doing the top 10 countdown..

He was #1...

A very "moving" song and video...

As a kid in the 70's I remember listening to his 8-tracks whenever we went on a roadtrip...
He was/is always my favorite...

Really sad to see the guy grow so old and whither away...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It will be a sad day when it is his turn to go.  I look at that video as him saying good-bye.  One of the most powerfull videos I have seen.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
mirrored at [url]http://www.public.asu.edu/~rwultsch/media/Cash.mov[/url]

OT:my general site is [url]http://www.public.asu.edu/~rwultsch/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Great song and great video. Hearing him sing that runs chills up my spine. Even though it may have been a Nine Inch Nails song, it seems as if it's coming straight from Johnny's heart, very personal. It is weird sounding, creepy, morbid and depressing. It's as if he's saying "I am at the end of the my road" and looking back on his life, reflecting his mistakes. This has to be the most moving and powerful song/video I ever heard/saw.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:56:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I cannot agree more.  Johnny Cash is a personal favorite of mine as well, and when I saw that video I literally cried.  Johnny Cash's music is tied to a decent bit of my childhood, so it was like watching an old friend on his deathbead.  I agree that it was like him saying goodbye, and that was really very sad for me.

It's definitely one of those covers that's a million times better than the original.

Remember The Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I was deeply moved when I saw that video on CMT.  It sure is powerful and depressing - but then again I like depressing music.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw it the day after June passed. Made me cry for him. She was such a source of strength for Johnny. Helped him, get off amphetamines and thats no joke in Nashvile. They were the king and queen of country to me. I fear we'll lose him too very soon. He's THE man. Made a Depeche Mode song sound un-Faggy. That's got to be against the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#16]
He did a great job on NIN's song. It seemed very natural for him. Although their styles and delivery method are quite different, Trent and Johnny are 2 of a kind.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I've never much listened to Country Music ....
(I'm a Classic Rock kinda guy) [headbang]

Now that I've been shown that most country folk are conservatives, I'm much more receptive to their music. [:)]

That video was very moving -- Knowing nothing about his past music, my take on it is that this is his last performance.  

Is Johnny Cash a conservative?  Does he like guns?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Even my mom likes it.  I do believe it is a Swan Song...any one else see the "Cash Museum, Closed to the Public" sign?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#19]
If you buy the album on CD (whatelse is there these days?) you get a DVD with the video included.
I remember readin a statement made by Trent Reznor (the guy behind Nine Inch Nails) where he said he was in the studio with some friends when Cash's cover aired for the first time. They all sat down to view it, and afterwards there was a long silence, then they went "Damn..." Trent Reznor said Johnny Cash totally made the song his own, and that he was glad he did. Cool stuff.

I'm afraid Johnny Cash won't be with us for much longer now that June has passed. [>(]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I loved that song when NIN put it out.

But after seeing that video, its like it was written for Johnny.

I have a lump in my throat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I tear up everytime I see the video, it's almost like Johnny did the video/song as a goodbye.  Lots of implications in the video hinting at such
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top