Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 3:47:39 PM EDT
On the 50th anniversary of the Flint/Beecher tornado, the most deadly single event tornado to date, mother nature presented the same general area with more tornados.
The 1953 tornado hit the northern area of Flint Michigan in the Beecher area killing 116 people, todays tornado hit just south of Flint. As of this time there has been no reports of serious injury but lots of damage.
I remember the 53 storm as a kid and hoped I would never see another, but as everyone knows Nature does what whatever it wasnts.
Sure hope the injuries and damage doesn't match the 53 storm.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/?page=stories/talesjun[/url]

[i] The final tally of people killed in this storm reached 116, making it the eighth deadliest tornado in U.S. history and the last single U.S. tornado to kill more than 100 people.[/i]

[i]Like many others, this tornado was not without its remarkable tales. Take for instance the lady who, with her six children in her car, literally put the pedal to metal and drove frantically at 100 mph to outrun the tornado. Luckily, she did without an accident nor a ticket, but this is not advised in tornado safety rules. Or how about the sick woman in bed who saw her roof collapse and then threw her hands over her eyes. The next thing she knew, she was in a field about 100 yards away, still in bed with her purse next to her. Then, there are the stories of a huge 100 year old elm tree pulled out of the ground by its roots, the two-by-four driven deep into a concrete pillar, and what about the man who found his house trailer he had parked in his yard...some eight miles away, near Columbiaville. Stories (and pictures) of defeathered chickens, roses with all petals intact sitting next to a completely leveled house and one of the most astonishing, [red][b]a letter was "air mailed and delivered" from a couple's home in Flint to 60 miles away to its addressee, their second cousin.[/b][/red]

[img]http://www.hollylisle.com/smiley-gifs/jaw.gif[/img]

All sorts of papers and debris were found across the Thumb region of Lower Michigan and as far as 200 miles away in Southern Ontario.[/i]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top