Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 3:30:12 PM EDT
Anyone into kayaking?

Any suggestions as to an all-around decent one for under 1K?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of kayaking?  Are you going to do Whitewater or Touring (Ocean, Lake)?  I've done both (mostly Touring).

If Touring, then Dagger and Perception make nice plastic boats for under $1000 - and there are some great used fiberglass models out there (much lighter and faster through the water but not as forgiving with regards to rocks and such).

As for whitewater - again, Dagger makes nice boats, as does Liquid Logic.

I'm sure there are a lot more people who know a lot more than I do on this subject - plus you could do an Internet search for some Message Boards.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I do mostly whitewater but have tried some of teh touring models. Whitewater akayks are acually a pretty personal choice. It depends alot on the type of whitwater you want to run and if you want to "play". I have two whitewater yaks. A big and long and very old preception. And a new "riot sick". In a touring kayak I would say start with one of the smaller wilderness systems setups. THeir pretty nice, comfortable and stable. They work well for beginers. And you can probably pick up two for a grand if you get something like a pungo 2. Kayaking is like riding a motorcycle in that it's more fun in a group. Don't even try to take a kayak touring with people in a canoe. We do that often and I have to do alot of waiting or not padling to let the canoes keep up. My fiance and I both have kayaks so it's alot better when it's just the two of us.

Give me a better idea on what you are going to do with it. There are some good websites out there for reviews on different yaks, and lists of peole selling used ones at a great savings. I always buy used boats that are still in good condition at less than half the original price.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Touring/recreational.  Paddling on bayous, local lakes, and a protected bay.  My buddy has a Perception - forget which model - and it looks like I'm gonna get a great deal on a Necky Santa Cruze.

It has enough room in the cockpit for my dog or a beer cooler in addition to me!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm into touring, in the bay and ocean.  Nothing like paddling with the smell of salt water in the air.  I spend most of my time in a Wilderness Systems two-seater, but have an open ocean kayak also.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top