Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 11:02:13 AM EDT
Have an 85 Dodge pickup with a slant six engine.  Great little truck, even better engine.  However, I need more power (well, would like more power) to haul my little fold down camper.  Wouldn't be too bad but the kids have to bring all their toys with them, which adds weight (I have a couple as well, but it's easier to point the finger elsewhere!!).  Other than upgrading my pickup or swapping motors, is there anything kinda easy I can do to the old girl.  Has 86,000 original miles on it and runs super.  Thanks a lot.

vmax84
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
honestly the cheapest and most effective way would be to upgrade to a 318 or 360 motor..ya got plenty of room in the engine bay..and it might bolt right up to tranny..other wise..the usual intake, exhaust really wont do much..
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember reading in old issue of "Mopar Power" about a fellow who was making tremendous amounts of power in a funny car equipped with the 225's lil' brother: the 198 slant six. I don't recall the details, but seem to remember that a lot of the tricks were in improving the head.

The slant 6 is probably one of the most durable gasoline engines in the entire world, so it should be able to handle some serious power increases without breaking.

You might try doing a search and/or inquiry on [url=http://www.allpar.com]AllPar.com[/url].
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Get one of those:

[img]http://www.netaxs.com/people/ebailey/v2motor2.jpg[/img]

Available from every decent milsurp dealer :)
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheapest horsepower around
K&N airfilter

Hands down the easiest power. That then put in exhaust. ANd get the ignition system reworked, Kacobs makes a nice system but they are pricey
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cheapest horsepower around
K&N airfilter

View Quote

Amen!

instalation takes 20 mins. and you get at least 10+ hp and much improved gas mileage.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sell it & get a real truck.

Sorry, sometimes you have to just say the truth.

You want power, get a truck with power.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Obviously not alot of Mopar heads out there.

The slant six was one of the strongest sixes ever built, even though they all leak oil, and was very popular on the drag strip.  This means upgrade parts are available.

Easiest upgrade is to put a four barrel racing intake, Weiland (spelling), and Eledebrock bolt on and forget four barrel carb.  Need to check your airflow and a low flow restriction muffler would add a bit more.  A hot coil and racing wires should about do it and all for around $600.  Your gas milage without romping on it will inprove and you should pick up another 25-30 hp and about 15-20 ft/lbs of trourque.  

If you really want to get crazy you can add a cam, solid lifters, and racing rings on the pistons but I didn't get the impression you wanted a hot rod just more power.

View Quote

I would do the camshaft upgrade first, adding a bigger carburator is'nt going to help much if all that gas has no place to go. In my opinion, the cheapest way to increase performace would be a lower differential ratio. A new ring gear and pinion can be had for ~$125. + labor to install. I never had much faith in K&N airfilters, they require cleaning and oiling, expensive to buy, and you can test the performance effects of a airfilter upgrade by simply running without one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes the answer to a seemingly complex problem is amazingly simple.

For example, if you leave the quad .50 at home on your next camping trip, not only will you lighten the load on the truck itself, but you won't need the trailer to haul all that ammo.

cynic
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I always heard if you take out the windshield and back window you can make anything go faster, or was that makes you feel like you are going faster. hehehe  
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've rebuilt a Chrysler slant-6. They are truely well-built engines in its time. When I rebuilt my slant-6, I broke a bolt that was holding the exhaust and intake manifold on to the head. That was definitely no fun. I knew a fellow who put in a new intake manifold, and put in a small Carter AFB carb, used up a lot of gas, and only got so-so amount of power.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Put in a Nitros System.

LOL
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/news/2002/june/nos/03403.jpg[/img]
NoKarma
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The 225 Slant Six is a problem.  It's got a tremendously long stroke so you can't make a ton of horsepower with it, you have to make torque.

I solved my slant six power problem, by changing the K member (front crossmember) in my 1974 rusted out Plymouth Duster with one from a B-body (I think) car and dropping in a 440 that was taken out of a motorhome because it had a bad main bearing.  

From no go to melt the tires off that sucker in a few hours.
View Quote

WHOA!!!  I guess!  I had a 440 Magnum in my '69 Charger and that sucker would light 'em up and keep 'em spinning as long as I kept my foot in it.  Monster torquey engine...but what a gas hog.  10-12 every day...every speed.  Didn't matter that sucker sucked fuel.  In a truck...with no weight to speak of in the back?  Wheeeeeee!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the help.  Will try a few of the cheaper suggestions, but for now, I'm basically pretty happy with the truck.  Not much sense in trying to make it into something it's not.  But all in all, it is a nice little truck that pretty much does what I want for a fraction of the price of what something new would cost.  Thanks again.

vmax84
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
There is no way to make real power cheaply or easily. I would suggest a junk yard turbo setup, or a supercharger.

You could make your own ram air setup.

If you want free power, try to eliminate paracitic drag, e.g. remove the airconditioning, power steering.

You could also try to shave as much weight out of the vehicle as possible. Try removing the sound insulation under the carpet, leave the spare and jack at home and get AAA, cut as much crap out of the engine bay as possible that is not essential for operation.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Slant-Six is a great motor... May not be a powerhouse, but will run forever. This and a Ford 300-I6 are two of the best pickup truck motors they ever made.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#19]
[url]http://www.slantsix.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Performance+Tricks&number=18&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=[/url]

This is the performance thread on

[url]www.slantsix.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Who the heck would of thought there would be an actual web page devoted to a slant six engine??!!!  Great info.  Thanks a ton.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top