Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 10:51:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
This has absolutely nothing to do with Latin, but...

I recently took a trip to Belton, Texas to visit some friends and traveled up Hwy 36 and thought of you and your aviator.  There were signs on the highway that said, "Dedicated to the Texas 36th Division."  A proud unit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Tex legislature designated SH 36 in 2000.  I remember they named some other roads for divisions and people that session.  SH 36 and SH6 stick out in my mind because I was working for TxDOT and we had to put up the signs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I took 2 years of latin, but because I don't remember much of it, I was not designated latin translator.

This is the best I can do:

Ferio neco.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll ask my dad and see what he comes up with, he has a degree in Latin.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Good!  Ask him what "I'd hit it" and "In before the Lock" are in Latin, too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm on it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Why does everything always head in this direction?  [rolleyes]

Bob
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why does everything always head in this direction?  [rolleyes]

Bob
View Quote

I don't know, but your user name could be interpreted to be a conduct code violation [;D].
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
[lol]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I took 2 years of latin, but because I don't remember much of it, I was not designated latin translator.

This is the best I can do:

Ferio neco.
View Quote

Another tidbit for the profile.....[snoopy]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Warning: Watch for exploding profiler heads.

cynic
p.s. Hey Sylvan, don't mind us. We're just kind of loitering around here, killing time on your thread until cduarte returns with an answer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Alright all you smart lawyer types.
I need a grammatically correct translation for "Hit to Kill"  If anyone knows the Greek and or Latin translation for this phrase, that would be great.  Classical Latin/Greek is preferred.  Please don't just go to the dictionary and look them up.  I need to get the phrase correct and need a tranlation from someone who has actually studied the language.
THANKS!
This is very (well, sort of) important and I will tell you why later if I can.  
View Quote

Is pig latin ok?   Ithay otay Illkay

TT [wave]

ledo neco - plain ole latin.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
my dad's trying to wimp out on me, saying that it's been 40 years since he studied this stuff...hmm I'm working on him, can't promise anything though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
My girlfriend is working ont his right now....

Even with a Masters in Classics, it takes a bit to wrangle English idiomatic speech into another language!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top