Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 9:03:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
My mixmaster, built on a Cav lower, has never seen a buffer detent and runs without a problem.  All you need to do is remember hold the buffer with your finger when you seperate the upper from the lower.  It can rest on the decocked hammer.

Either way, make damned sure that you get all the little chunks of the old part out, or it'll make your next several outings miserable.

Edit:  voted yes, but only for the convenience factor.  It has no effect on function either way.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Fix it...

..cause you know you'll forget it's not there !

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
its a 10 minute fix and a 2.00 part (shipping might kill you though)

go ahead and fix it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Flip a coin, either way you'll be fine and the gun will function.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
As a designated gunsmith, I have never encountered a broken buffer retainer pin. The only way such damage could occur through regular use is due to the incorrect fit of the upper and lower. In an properly functioning gun, the buffer is slightly depressed by the rear of the bolt carrier, thus preventing the any buffer to retainer contact during firing.

A more common type of retainer failure occurs with improperly installed collapsible stock tubes. The thread timing is often off, preventing the lip of the buffer tube from covering an adequate amount of the retainer, barely holding it in some cases. The only way to remedy this is to file the edge of the buffer tube down to allow the lip to cover the edge of the retainer up to the raised stem.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Fix it.They didn't put it in there for no reason.Yesterday I ordered a detent and spring from Georgia Precision,if he can fit a part in an envelope he'll only charge $1 shipping.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes fix it,while changing my pistol grip out,you guessed it my safety detent spring was lost to all but god!   I put a bic lighter spring in untill I could find one at the gun show(75 cents)  hell do it right!

You are that kind of guy!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
You are right about that for sure but the average grunt as you call him,don't need nothing more to slow him down or confuse him!

But like said ain't needed!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]
"designated gunsmith"
[hail2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
A Colt Armorer's School they said that it wasn't strictly necessary, and was more for ease of takedown than anything else. The weapons should function fine without it.

If you find yourself with a need to tear it down quickly, you will probably wish that you had one. I say replace it, but you don't necessarily have to be in a hurry to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top