Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 10:10:51 PM EDT
What is the law on carrying a folding knife? It will be in my pocket clipped with the top of the knife exposed. Also, I know the anti-smoking laws are pretty harsh. Where can you smoke?

I'm heding to San Diego in the morning and want to avoid any touble.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as it's not an auto knife.  I'm not sure about length, I've heard there is no length limit but just to be on the safe side...
No smoking in restaurants and in public places.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
[url=http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html]California Knife Laws: A Comprehensive Guide[/url]

a guide by jim march...good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy (LA cop) says that it must be in a sheath, and not hidden.

As far as smoking goes-just do it outside.

"just keep it visible and no shirt covering the top" is what he said.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Not hidden?  How about knives with clips on the inside of the pants pocket, with the top and clip visible?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
he said it should be ok.

"just keep it visible and no shirt covering the top"  is what he said.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up guys. Last forecast said 68 degrees in San Diego. Ohhhhhh I can't wait!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My buddy (LA cop) says that it must be in a sheath, and not hidden.

As far as smoking goes-just do it outside.

"just keep it visible and no shirt covering the top" is what he said.
View Quote

Thast is incorrect. its 4" for folding knives and concealed doesnt matter. Its a pocket knife. Its not supposed to be seen. Most of out "tactical" folders are quite legal. I personally carry a Benchmade pinnacle with a 3 7/8" blade. Good EDC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
shows ya how much cops know [b)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
it took me a long time to realize that officers werent infalable when it comes to laws and interpretation
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thast is incorrect. its 4" for folding knives and concealed doesnt matter. Its a pocket knife. Its not supposed to be seen. Most of out "tactical" folders are quite legal. I personally carry a Benchmade pinnacle with a 3 7/8" blade. Good EDC
View Quote

Are you sure about that? The Jim March page seems to indicate there is no size limit for concealed folders.

He states, "Nowhere in PC653k is there a length limit.  My daily-carry folder has a blade 5.45" long."

There are local ordnances and different rules for fixed-blade knives, of course.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I always thought the size limit for a concealed folder was 3-1/2" though my favorite folder is more like 3-3/4".

There are certain places in California that forbid the carrying of any knife > 4".  I just read some of the Kommiefornia penal code from their official communist website.

[url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html[/url]

Does anyone have a more definitive answer????
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
All folding knives, regardless of blade length, can be carried concealed in kalifornia. Fixed blades are open carry only.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Be careful with it clipped in your pocket. I had a really nice folder catch on the seat belt of my car and fall off in a parking lot never to be seen again. [>(]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Ditto on Jim March's site.

If it's PC 653k compliant (i.e. not a switchblade per that code), you're good to carry in your pocket as long as it's closed.

Only fixed knives (dirks or daggers) have to be carried in a sheath and exposed.

San Diego has no restrictive knife ordinances.  I live here.  Berkeley is the worst - No blades over 2 inches!

Smoking is banned in most bars and restaurants, and in public in a few communities - Del Mar and Laguna Beach come to mind.  Check your IM.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I was trying to find a link, but a new statute states the folders need to be cammed towards auto closing. Apparently, a neutral or open cammed folder is considered a switchblade. [rolleyes] Which makes mine illegal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]
A fixed blade knife, carried concealed, is a felony.

A folding knife carried concealed is generally okay. however there are some restrictions in the penal code for both lock type and blade length on school camposes, including universities.

Additionally swithcblades are a misdemeanor if carried in public, or in the passeger compartment of a motor vehicle. The definition of "switchblade is very liberal, including gravity knives and bali-songs.  Additionally a knife that may be opened with the flick of a wrist, is a switchblade, unless the knife blade has some type of ball detent or other mechanism that provides a mechanical resistance to being snapped open. Most quality liner locks like Benchmade and Spyderco have a detent, so they are not a "switchblade". But your typical $5.00 made in china gun show liner lock copy may be considered a "switchblade" under california law.

If you are arrested for carrying a concealed fixed blade knife (CPC 12020), you will be booked into jail for the felony but probubly released on your own recognisance later. If you are arrrested for a switchblade (CPC 653k) you will likely be cited and released in the field, on your written promise to appear.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, I stand corrected. I could of swore I read 4 inches somewhere though.
I do know that Auto knives are legal for carry if they are under 2". Well its either 2" or 1.5". In Visalia they make a bunch of those little knives and they also make fullsize autos under the Smith & Wesson name for export to other states
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Funny, Ill I get the same feeling about this thread as I get from the DOJ gun law site.  

Im not a cop but my partner is and his reply to the knife ? was  "its a dagger?" no, it folds "its a felony...oh well as long as you dont hide it" no he has a clip that shows the top of the knife  "well as long as he doesnt hide it with his shirt or somthing".

In this state it sounds like he might just leave it at home (thats what the libs want) but, Id do what I had to do.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bet that would be an interesting experience going through our couthouse metal detector with a 12" blade.
View Quote

Like the roach motel. Bugs go in, but they don't come out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
imbro and troy are correct

ive carried a folder daily for about 5 years now, a spyderco endura and now a benchmade griptillian, no one is gonna hassle you, not even the cops.
i got pulled over one night by LA Sheriffs, got the pat down, i informed him of my knife, he pulled it out and says "Hey these are good knives", later on he hands it back, i get away withOUT a ticket.

dont sweat it

smoking indoors NO, outdoors OK, unless on private property and posted no smoking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top