Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 6:14:30 PM EDT
For the first time in 42 years, I saw lightning bugs again!
We had them back in Maryland in the 50s, I remember chasing them every summer night with a jar, and letting them go every morning, but we moved to Colorado, and they didn't exist there.
My first June night to really unwind and watch the neighborhood in the heavy dusk here in E TX, and I saw them again!
I had been asking about them, and many folks haven't seen them in years, even down here.
Something about pesticides killing most of them off.
Do you still have them where you live?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a British couple moving here from England that I was showing houses to a couple years ago(I'm a realtor).  It was a summer evening when the husband all of the sudden freaked.  He ran back inside off of a deck, slamming the glass door closed behind hime, and he turned a pale white in fear.  After a couple minutes we discovered he was scared to death of those flying flashing things that he never knew existed.  His wife had worked in maryland before and was used to lightning bugs.  We all laughed at the husband for a while.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
We're eat up with em here. Way more than 6 or 8 in my yard alone.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
We see them every night of summer here in Mich.  Now if summer ever gets here we might see them again.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was a British couple moving here from England that I was showing houses to a couple years ago(I'm a realtor).  It was a summer evening when the husband all of the sudden freaked.  He ran back inside off of a deck, slamming the glass door closed behind hime, and he turned a pale white in fear.  After a couple minutes we discovered he was scared to death of those flying flashing things that he never knew existed.  His wife had worked in maryland before and was used to lightning bugs.  We all laughed at the husband for a while.
View Quote

When I moved to Missouri about 12 years ago I saw lightning bugs for the first time ever.  I didn't completely freak because I'd heard of fireflys before - but it was the coolest thing.

I just had one sitting on my window screen yesterday evening - very neat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Rather scarce here in Champaign County.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, VA & MD have 'em.

My favorite insect. That an the Praying Mantis.

Been too wet here this year, haven't seen any.

[cheers]
--LS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw them early last month in western NC, before I came back over here to Diego Garcia.  Nothing at all here.  I miss those little buggars.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't seen them in many years, here on the beachside in Florida.   I hear you still can see a few when you get farther inland, but I'm never out there at night for lack of any valid reason to do so.

I miss them.  Fireflies should be a part of every childhood, and adulthood, too.

If you're seeing them again when you didn't before, consider three possibilities:

They're developing a tolerance to insecticides.

They're not spraying so many insecticides, or
spraying new ones that don't kill fireflies.

They're just bugs that live near the nuclear power plant and are not actually fireflies.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between fireflies and lightning bugs? both their asses glow right?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between fireflies and lightning bugs? both their asses glow right?
View Quote

I believe they are the same thing - the common name just seems to vary by region. Growing up in Illinois, we called them "lightning bugs." I have since met others from other parts of the Union who used the term "firefly." This was in Maryland WHILE looking at them, so it is safe for me to assume we were talking about the same insect.

I have noticed in my travels, though, that there seem to be various species with different lighting patterns.

Incidentally, they are neither bugs nor flies. They are actually beetles.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
We have 'em here in Kentucky, Hannah. Funny you say that folks haven't seen much of them.

It seems like years ago, when I was younger, they were very abundant. Now, they seemed to have "thinned" out.

The progression of mankind and the ill effects of technology, or just me becoming older?

Hmmmmm........
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#16]
They taste kinda tangy
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Chicago burbs and we're loaded with them. Around here they don't start making an appearance until July. Might be because of a series of cool Springs. The first week of June and today was the first warm day, 75 degrees.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunately they're not native where I live, so I have to make my own with moths and lighter fluid.

They're short-lived, but man are they bright!

cynic
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]
There seems to be an abundant supply here in my area of Kentucky. But it does seem they aren't quite as numerous as they were in the 1980's. I used to enjoy sneaking outside as a kid, collecting a bunch of them in a jar , then bring them back inside and release them! LOL. Along about midnight the house would be glowing and flashing and I would hear my parents cursing. I was a mean little shit I suppose..lol. Ahhhhh, the joys of childhood, where even the most simple of things can create entertainment.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm from just south of Gettysburg PA.  I used to love watching them at dusk on the Battle Field.  However, sadly we have none in Alaska.  I still love to watch them when I go home in the summer.

DG84
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I've always called them fireflies.  I see plenty of them every year around here.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Those things are cool. The last time I saw fireflies (as they called them) was as a kid, visiting relatives in Iowa back in 1970 or so.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I never seen them in WA but we had them in Long Island, we used to wait till there butt lite up and then smear it on our buddies face. He would have glowy guts all over.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#25]
We gottem here to. The hot muggy nights of the South have not arrived yet but them little critters have. They also take me back to my childhood and fond memories.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#26]
We have loads of 'em here in LA (lower Alabama).  Been seeing them for about a month and a half now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Have seen some this year but not an abundent amount.  Here is an interesting site on Lightning bugs.  [url]http://www.burger.com/firefly.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#28]
We have plenty here. Saw the first one of the season 3 weeks ago.
I was seeing a girl from AZ back in '97 and when she came to visit here in OH it was in the height of firefly season and she freaked. She had never seen them before. We all got a kick out of her calling them "electric bugs".
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Of course, those of us that enjoy correctly using the English language should enjoy a quote from Mark Twain:

"Using the correct word, instead of the almost-correct word, is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For the first time in 42 years, I saw lightning bugs again!
We had them back in Maryland in the 50s, I remember chasing them every summer night with a jar, and letting them go every morning, but we moved to Colorado, and they didn't exist there.
My first June night to really unwind and watch the neighborhood in the heavy dusk here in E TX, and I saw them again!
I had been asking about them, and many folks haven't seen them in years, even down here.
Something about pesticides killing most of them off.
Do you still have them where you live?
View Quote

How long have you been in east TEXAS without seeing fire flys?
They are pretty abundant out in the woods.

HORNY TOADS, NOW THEY  HAVE PULLED A DISAPPEARING ACT.

Used to be VERY common. WE used to catch the babies and keep'em in match boxes. I have not seen 1 in 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Chaos, we just moved to E TX last August from Colorado.
I asked around about lightning bugs back then and heard that folks hadn't seen them in quite a while down here, like decades, even out on the bayous and such.
That's why this was such a delight and a surprise last night.

Alpo: Thanks for the great link on the critters.
I am reading all the sighting reports right now, and it seems that many folks had also not seen them in years, but are starting to again.
Lightning bugs are awesome, and I would indeed go to some lengths to protect their habitat, just so kids these days could enjoy them the way I used to in the back in the 50s.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Chaos, we just moved to E TX last August from Colorado.
I asked around about lightning bugs back then and heard that folks hadn't seen them in quite a while down here, like decades, even out on the bayous and such.
That's why this was such a delight and a surprise last night.
View Quote

Maybe I have been living in a bubble or am just lucky. We always have seen them in the summertime in North and East Texas out in the country.
Didn't know they were disappearing.  

My kids think they are almost as neat as christmas.

But I guess the world is a changing place. The last couple of years WHITE WING dove have been cropping up all over north Texas. Used to be only a very few counties in FAR south TEXAS had any around ( any they were pretty highly regulated IIRC.) Some even nest here as I have seen them all summer and winter.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Regarding doves,  here in Florida,  Ringneck doves, an introduced species (from escaped cage birds) are now as common as mourning doves over much of Florida, including the county I live in.  Just ten years ago, they were rare, but now,  they're abundant just like the mourning doves.  They're not displacing the mourning doves from what I can tell, just adding their own population in as well.

Wouldn't it be cool to genetically engineer birds so they glowed like fireflies?  That'd be freaky, man!  It'd make hunting them at night a lot easier as you wouldn't need a spotlight!

CJ

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#34]
When our first child was about 3, we moved to Ohio and she saw them for the first time.  I came up with a new name and told her they were Tinkerbell bugs.  She liked that one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#35]
They are everywhere here.  Haven't seen any yet this summer, since we haven't really been graced with summer-like weather yet.  Today is nice though.

There are 85 acres of marsh and woods behind my 1.5 acres, and it looks like lightning bug heaven once they're out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#36]
[size=4]Welcome To Texas![/size=4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep millions here,the kids catch them put them in jars!   They also catch them and squeeze them on there fingers making little glowing rings!

Kids just do the damndest things!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#38]

I saw a whole swarm of them last year...  just as they hit my winshield!

Between their gutts and all the glowing I couldn't see a thing.  I had to pull over and scrape them off.

That was way cool!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top