Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 5:59:49 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Two fraternity brothers who admitted taking and killing a beloved koi from a fish pond at the University of California, Santa Cruz, were charged with theft and malicious mischief.

Seniors Casey Loop and Matthew Cox allegedly hit the fish with a rake and barbecued it. They will face misdemeanor counts for the May 20 stunt that carry a maximum penalty of a year in jail.

"A message must be sent," county District Attorney Bob Lee said Friday.

"This was an ill-advised and cruel fraternity prank," Lee said.

The students were members of the Delta Omega Chi fraternity. They have apologized for killing Goldie - a favorite among children at a campus day care center - [b]and spent $654 on a replacement that they put into the pond last month.[/b]

Fraternity leaders posted a letter on campus saying that they "do not condone cruelty to animals."

University spokeswoman Elizabeth Irwin said the students also could face suspension of expulsion if an investigation concludes they violated the code of student conduct.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
They will face misdemeanor counts for the May 20 stunt that carry a maximum penalty of a year in jail.
View Quote

Lets overlook for one moment the fact that these guys know little about gourmet eating or shopping for carp.

If the crime carries a maximum possible sentence of a year in jail, are they going to loose their RKBA if convicted??
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
These college aged dopes [red]should[/red] know right from wrong.

I hope these lame fcks get the book thrown at them for showing a total disregard for someone's property/pet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If the crime carries a maximum possible sentence of a year in jail, are they going to loose their RKBA if convicted??
View Quote

No. In CA, there are certain classes of misdemeanors that result in a 10 year loss of RKBA, but I don't think what they did qualifies.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
While young many people have done stupid things.  This act was wrong and being someone who raises koi, they should count themselves lucky they got off cheap.  I have seen them cost over $15,000.00.  Now while I do not have any intention to buy a fish that expensive to feed the local heron, I know poeple who do.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Koisanke is right koi can cost thousands of dollars each.

Maybe they will learn to respect other people’s property, even a fish.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
54 Dollars For a FI[red]R[/red]SH????
View Quote

Boy, I misread that at first.  I mean, I like my FIRSHes, but that's a bit steep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top