Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 12:47:44 PM EDT
This morning, two police officers and a dispatcher were shot by a suspect that had been arrested who then fled in a police car.

Heard this from a local LEO and heard it later on the radio, Any one know any more?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I know that because of his actions, that sumbitch is probably listed as 'kill-on-sight' by now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been working on the house all day and didn't get the news. Any updates? The AR'RIGHT gang is having a shoot near Birmingham today. Why aint you there?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
He fled tp Mississippi...they were head shots...he was arrested for stealing a car and burgulary,IIRC.

I hope they kill the SOB.

My heart gors out to the Victims and their families....

-HS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard the suspect got ahold of a pistol while in the booking room. killed two officers, and one dispatcher....
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
18 year old caught in Ms. Roadblocks every where for a while. Need a trial and a hanging next week.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
******* trolling comment deleted*******[:K]

[red]To imply that the deaths of three people was deserved is not going to be tolerated.[/red]
EdSr
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They probably had it coming.
View Quote

Even if you consider that some kind of sarcastic, ironic, fucked up "humor" you are a seriously fucked up individual.

Why in God's name would you even utter that?

Tell it to their children you piece of shit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
At least we won't have to hear from that troll who always says "At least they made it home safely." some of the anti leo trolls on this site make me want to vomit. As for Govt "Slug," you aren't worth a pimple on one of those officers asses, so go back under your bridge. PS you aren't worth another 30 seconds of my time either...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's in bad taste, even if you don't like LEOS why would you wish them harm for doing thier job. It's not like they were out Jack Booting anyone.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did your parents frequently drop you on your head when you were a child?  How in the world can you even possibly justify saying something like that?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought most PDs had a rule about locking weapons up in boxes outside before entering the booking area?

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Any more details on this?? Links to a story??
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought most PDs had a rule about locking weapons up in boxes outside before entering the booking area?
Aviator
View Quote

Yeah, I'd like to hear how it went down.

A couple possibilities:

They were doing all the paperwork at their office, and the perp would later be transported to the county lockup.
So it may not have actually been a "booking area" per se, and there may have been no requirement to lock up their weapons.

The other possibility is that there was a lock your weapons requirement, and one of the cops forgot, or ignored it.

I sort of picture this:
One cop locked his weapon up, and the other did not.
The dispatcher was more than likely not carrying a firearm because of agency rules (a big mistake: all dispatchers should be armed, or have arms available at a moments' need).

Bad guy gets holstered firearm, and it's all over.

Jay

Edit to add link to same topic, which has CNN news link
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=190265[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]
The "Had it coming" reply really makes law-abiding gun owners look really good to outsiders who read these forums. Here's a link that tells just a little more:

http://www.wbrc.com/news/news1.shtml
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]
[url]http://al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/1055063950224200.xml[/url]

The Birmingham News

2 Fayette officers, dispatcher killed

Police: Shootings happened at station; 18-year-old jailed

06/08/03

By TOM GORDON and VAL WALTON
News staff writers

FAYETTE An 18-year-old man faces capital murder charges after two officers and a dispatcher were gunned down Saturday morning.

Devan Darnel Moore, who graduated from high school about two weeks ago, was "troubled," his father said.

Moore was found about 9 a.m. Saturday in a Lowndes County, Miss., pasture in a police cruiser that had been taken from Fayette. County Sheriff Butch Howard said authorities there had been on the lookout for Moore, who tried to leave the pasture, was blocked by officers and was arrested without incident.

Moore later waived extradition and was taken from Mississippi to the Tuscaloosa County Jail.

More than three hours earlier, Officer Arnold Strickland, Cpl. James Crump and Dispatcher Ace Mealer were shot and killed while Moore was being booked inside the Fayette Police Department on a charge of receiving stolen property.

The circumstances of the killings were unclear Saturday night, but they were unprecedented in the history of Fayette. It has been years since so many state law enforcement employees have been killed at one time.

"It sure doesn't add up," Fayette County District Attorney Chris McCool said as he stood in the taped-off police department parking lot Saturday afternoon talking with reporters. "Details are still sketchy."

McCool said Moore would be arraigned on capital murder charges this week.

In Fayette, Moore's father was struggling with the news that his son stands accused in the shootings.

"I did the best I could with him," Kenneth Moore said by telephone from his Fayette home. "I know the officers. We stay here together. What can I say to the families? The only thing I can say is I'm sorry. That still won't bring them back."

Kenneth Moore, 48, said his son had had run-ins with authorities in the past and had once stolen his mother's car.

He said he had tried his best to instill discipline in him, but his son would not abide by his rules. He said he raised his son, who also had been in foster care, from the first grade until the 10th grade.

Moore said his son moved to Jasper about two years ago to live with his mother, Gloria Thompson. He had just graduated from an alternative school in Walker County and had planned to go into the Air Force.

`Remember':

The three shooting victims, Crump, Strickland and Hamilton, were well known and well regarded in and around Fayette, a northwest Alabama town of 5,200. Within hours of their deaths, black ribbons appeared on the front grills of Fayette police cruisers.

Less than a block from the police department, a flower shop put the following message in blue letters on a marquee sign: "Remember our fallen officers and their families."

Fayette Police Chief Euel Hall said that Crump and Strickland had been part of his 14-member force for a few years. Together they had 32 years of law enforcement experience.

Friends and co-workers said Crump, who was around 40, had a young son and a fiancee. Hall said Strickland, who was in his 50s, had three children and at least one grandchild.

Mealer, a bachelor who was around 40, had been dispatching at the police department for a few years and had spent many more dispatching at the Fayette County Sheriff's Department. In recent years, he had made a successful effort to reduce his weight, which had once been well over 300 pounds.

"They loved their jobs," Hall said. "That's what they were doing."

Hugs and tears:

As investigators went in and out of the crime scene, groups of people stood in the shade of buildings across the street to watch and talk. Late in the morning, a group of about 75 men came up, stood in a spot adjacent to the police parking lot, formed a circle and prayed.

About an hour later, a woman arrived with three friends, met another friend in the street across from the police parking lot, hugged her, held her and sobbed loudly. Later, at the yellow tape, she did the same thing with Fayette police officer D.A. Allen.

She was Shani Lake, a correctional officer at the Hamilton Work Release Center. She also was James Crump's fiancee.

"He knew it (death on the job) was possible and she knew it was possible," said one of Lake's friends, Gina Rodgers. "But not now. There's no reason for it."

Across the street in the shade, Barbara Burton, who had embraced Lake when she first arrived, stood in a group that included her daughter, Manda Hudson.

"If he comes here," Hudson said of the accused killer, "somebody's going to get him."

"Hitting the police, that hits home, you know?" Burton said.

Such sentiment explains why authorities are housing Moore in Tuscaloosa County. When someone is charged with killing a police officer in a town, it's customary to jail him elsewhere, McCool said.

Asked if anything might have gone awry while Moore was being booked, McCool said, "I don't see any place where procedure was not followed."

While he would not say if Crump, Strickland and Mealer were shot with a police handgun, McCool said, "That certainly is a possibility."

Moore's father said he sought help from the courts and the church for his son, who has five siblings. One of them, Michael, plays for the Frankfurt Galaxy in NFL Europe.

"Preachers prayed for (Devan)," Kenneth Moore said. "I've been praying and praying and praying. God is in control.

"I still love him. He's still my son. He's woke up and smelled the coffee. It's too late now. What can a daddy do?"
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Alot of the south is still in the dark ages of good ole boy law enforcement. the fact there was a loaded gun in a "booking" area, and a dispatcher was in a "booking" area is very telling.

Hopefully they will learn from this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Alot of the south is still in the dark ages of good ole boy law enforcement. the fact there was a loaded gun in a "booking" area, and a dispatcher was in a "booking" area is very telling.

Hopefully they will learn from this.
View Quote

A lot of small towns with small PDs and SOs all over the country are, it has nothing to do with being Southern. Circumstances and SOPs vary all over. You presume too much, friend. Hopefully EVERYONE can learn from this, we all should.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top