Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 5:48:45 PM EDT
I've had my share of issues with these bastards, but this tops them all. Basically they have lost my EOTech EXPS3 that I was sending back to L-3.

I use a local mom and pop packaging and shipping store. Husband and wife own it and USPS picks up there every day. Had them process the shipment "Priority" lol...that word still makes me laugh. And it was picked up by the USPS carrier last Thursday. Just tracked it to make sure it made it to Ann Arbor and it still shows the initial status of 'initial label printed'. It's never been scanned in and nobody knows WTF it's at.

I've talked to the local post office, customer service, and EOTechs local post office. They keep blaming it on the mom and pop shop but they are the only ones I trust here. I've been back up to there shop and they showed me exactly where it goes after it was processed and where the mail carrier picks up at.  USPS tried telling me the carrier would have scanned it as soon as they picked it up and it would show up in system. But then they tell me to contact the recipient to see if it's been delivered. Right after she said there is no way they would have it.

I'm getting the shaft on a $600+ optic aren't I? What are the chances of it actually showing up?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you insure it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You had to have someone else box it up and send it for you? You couldn't do it yourself?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You did insure it for the full value, didn't you?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have bought an Aimpoint to begin with.......
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have gotten no tracking info other than "label made" or something to that effect all the way up to the day after delivery.........USPS tracking sucks moose balls.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You had to have someone else box it up and send it for you? You couldn't do it yourself?
View Quote

Really.  No initial scan by usps?  you are screwed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Just noticed OP has LA under his avatar.

All the carriers are warning of delays around that region due to the flooding.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are in LA, it could be weeks before it shows up.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much my first thought. I don't know why people dont take important things directly to the post office/UPS/FedEx hub themselves.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I boxed it up myself. They just processed it. It's right next to my house. I was in a hurry, had 100 things going on with work and forgot to insure it. I know, major fuk up but USPS won't even pay out the $50 included insurance because they claim they never received it into their position.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty much my first thought. I don't know why people dont take important things directly to the post office/UPS/FedEx hub themselves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is USPS and being out of the way and the smelly long as lines
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are in LA, it could be weeks before it shows up.

View Quote

I'm in TX now BTW.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
There are 3 very important lessons to learn about shipping USPS.

1) Pad and tape the ever living hell out of what you are shipping.  Even if you do this insure it!
2) Print the label yourself and drop it off at the Post Office handing it to the clerk.  Do not leave until they scan it.
3) Priority Mail is not a 2-3 day guarantee.  If you need that it needs to be sent Priority Mail Express/Registered with Registered being the most reliable and secure with a chain of custody.

I have shipped 100+ packages via Priority Mail this way ranging from $15-$1200 in price and have never had an issue except 1 time before I followed the above rules.  I did have a poorly packaged box sent to me that was lost for 2 weeks.  It was a box of 1000pcs of 308 brass that broke open and they went above and beyond gathering them all up and re-packaging them.  Another time someone sent me bullets and packaged them like shit and USPS went above and beyond again.

If it is a very important item ship FedEx and just pay the $5 to have them come pick it up and pay for insurance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm right there with you.  Bought an acog/rmr combo off gunbroker.  Seller said he shipped yesterday from California and tracking is still showing label created.  I'm giving it until Friday to show up. . If it doesn't,  I'm disputing the transaction with my bank.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm right there with you.  Bought an acog/rmr combo off gunbroker.  Seller said he shipped yesterday from California and tracking is still showing label created.  I'm giving it until Friday to show up. . If it doesn't,  I'm disputing the transaction with my bank.
View Quote

Wish I had that option. The only thing that will come from this is I will never use USPS for anything other than a birthday card to aunt Judy....ever again. FedEx or even UPS is worth the extra coin.

Lesson learned!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I use a local mom and pop packaging and shipping store.        
View Quote

Here is the problem.
Mom and pop owe you $$$. You do have a receipt?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Mom and Pop SCREWED you pretty good.

Ship it yourself at the REAL post office - insured, delivery confirmation w signature.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mom and Pop SCREWED you pretty good.

Ship it yourself at the REAL post office - insured, delivery confirmation w signature.

View Quote

And get a receipt from the clerk who accepts it. My small local PO isn't set up to do that.  I carry stuff to the larger office down the road to get it scanned and a receipt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you insure it?
View Quote

I get shafted on about half my USPS insured packages. As long as it's scanned as delivered before thrown away, stolen, given away, or left at the wrong address, you're fucked. Get a signature.

FedEx on the other hand, bend over and drop your drawers for them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wish I had that option. The only thing that will come from this is I will never use USPS for anything other than a birthday card to aunt Judy....ever again. FedEx or even UPS is worth the extra coin.

Lesson learned!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lesson learned!

FedEx has fucked me on a higher rate of packages over the past year. I ship tens of thousands with USPS, only a few hundred per year with FedEx.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#23]
If you didn't insure it then you fucked up.
I hope it's found and everything works out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Ship enough things and eventually, they ALL screw up, doesn't matter if it's USPS, UPS, FedEx, ALL of them have dropped the ball at one time or another.  USPS has messed up more for me than the others but FedEx is closing in on a very close second place right now
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a USPS package show up yesterday that still shows it was only notified, they did not scan into the system as they should, it happens all the time, if I go to tracking right now, it still shows it has not been received, but I know for a fact it has because it is sitting on my reloading bench tumbling about a hundred shells as I type this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Mom an Pop shop F'd up. Letter Carrier "has" to scan it if they (shop) requested pick up. At the end of the day the Letter Carrier has to be cleared, if any open pick ups are still open, he or/and the Postmaster has to go to the business an pick it up. Scanner shows time, date, GPS location and a picture of package label when scanned. So if the PM "fakes" the pick up the scan shows where an when. Falsifying the scan can get a PM fired. The Postmaster gets called on the carpet if any are missed (read he doesn't get his bonus).

Letter Carriers can an do get a seven day suspension if they miss two in one year. CCA's get fired on the first missed one.

Pack it yourself next time. USPS will send boxes to you for free.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're going bitch about the "company" you had no interaction with...
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I trust the postal service shop that I used. Not the first time I've used them and I've personally met and talked to the husband / wife owners. There is a barcode on their door where the USPS carrier scans on his way in, takes the bin of packages and dumps them in his truck. Scans them later. The store owner invited me to show up tomorrow to see personally and talk to the carrier.

And not true about the scan points always showing up. Just last month I had a package that showed to still be at the post office and it was in my mailbox all along. It missed the "out for delivery" and "delivered".
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#29]
95% of the mail I get is junk!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It was a box of 1000pcs of 308 brass that broke open and they went above and beyond gathering them all up and re-packaging them.  Another time someone sent me bullets and packaged them like shit and USPS went above and beyond again.
View Quote

No wonder Tood @ the post office is grumpy all the time.  He's picking up your stuff off the floor!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There are 3 very important lessons to learn about shipping USPS.

1) Pad and tape the ever living hell out of what you are shipping.  Even if you do this insure it!
2) Print the label yourself and drop it off at the Post Office handing it to the clerk.  Do not leave until they scan it.
3) Priority Mail is not a 2-3 day guarantee.  If you need that it needs to be sent Priority Mail Express/Registered with Registered being the most reliable and secure with a chain of custody.

I have shipped 100+ packages via Priority Mail this way ranging from $15-$1200 in price and have never had an issue except 1 time before I followed the above rules.  I did have a poorly packaged box sent to me that was lost for 2 weeks.  It was a box of 1000pcs of 308 brass that broke open and they went above and beyond gathering them all up and re-packaging them.  Another time someone sent me bullets and packaged them like shit and USPS went above and beyond again.

If it is a very important item ship FedEx and just pay the $5 to have them come pick it up and pay for insurance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#32]
No real difference between the big 3 as far as lost , damaged, non delivered packages

Of them UPS has been the worst for us - we average about $90.00 per day in shipping costs.

FedEx the best.
We ship the most with USPS - customer selected BTW
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Box
Print label
Deliver to the post office
Get a receipt from USPS of drop off

Do not do what OP did
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I have yet to have a problem in hundreds of shipments, probably well over a thousand using Click-N-Ship. Hand addressed labels are asking for trouble. Use Click-N-Ship, tape the box, don't rely on the USPS box adhesive. Of the few insurance claims I've had, maybe three, they've paid, no questions asked full insured value. As for UPS and FedEx ground, it's a wonder it arrives at all. If you ship something heavy and/or bulky via UPS or FedEx ground expect some under paid former McD's employee to beat the ever loving shit out of your package. I instruct my customers that if you can't throw your package from over your head onto a concrete floor and have it survive unscathed, you have insufficient packaging and UPS/FedEx will deny any claim for that very reason.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#35]
*UPDATE*

Oh wow, all of a sudden I get a text update. "Arrived in Brockton, MA". No scan at my local post office, no estimated delivery date, no outbound scan that USPS promised me would show up if it was in their possession.

I'm glad it's accounted for, but man I hate these ass clowns. So much rhetoric.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top