Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 2:59:59 PM EDT
I'm still a bit of a vehicle neophyte, but can't you disconnect the front wheels in 4WD vehicles so the inside wheels turn separate from the outside while turning? There aren't the switches in the wheel hubs I have. Any info?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I am 100% not sure what you're asking at all, so i'm just here to tag and read some responses
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a switch for that, it's labeled "2WD".
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If I am correctly interpreting what you are saying you think both front tires are turning at the same rate when in 4wd.  Right?

They are not.  

you have a differential in between those two tires that allow them to turn at different speeds while the hubs are engaged.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I am correctly interpreting what you are saying you think both front tires are turning at the same rate when in 4wd.  Right?

They are not.  

you have a differential in between those two tires that allow them to turn at different speeds while the hubs are engaged.
View Quote

This. Unless someone installed a front locker.

Rear is a different story.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much everything has a live front axle now, so I doubt there's any hubs to disengage. The front diff will allow the two front tries to spin at different speeds but the speeds between the front axle and the rear axle are different when you turn and there's where the binding is.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Manual hubs from the factory are pretty much a thing of the past unless you have a domestic 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty much everything has a live front axle now, so I doubt there's any hubs to disengage. The front diff will allow the two front tries to spin at different speeds but the speeds between the front axle and the rear axle are different when you turn and there's where the binding is.
View Quote

Gotchya. It just binds when I'm turning.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of surface are you on when this happens?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't have a front locker, so your front wheels already spin at different speeds when turning.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Bind is normal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The reason it binds is because it doesn't have a center differential like the 4Runners do. Those you can drive around on dry pavement in 4 high with the center diff unlocked. The Tundra and Tacoma don't have this feature so if you are on a high grip surface stick to 2WD.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You don't have a front locker, so your front wheels already spin at different speeds when turning.

Bind is normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Bind is normal.

Good to know!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The reason it binds is because it doesn't have a center differential like the some 4Runners do. Those you can drive around on dry pavement in 4 high with the center diff unlocked. The Tundra and Tacoma don't have this feature so if you are on a high grip surface stick to 2WD.
View Quote

Not all 4runners have the center diff. If I'm not mistaken, they were only available from '00 on up, but still an option on certain years, so don't assume it is equipped this way across the board. I know my 99 is a non center diff 4wd.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Manual hubs from the factory are pretty much a thing of the past unless you have a domestic 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
View Quote

I had two Scout II that had manual front locking hubs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The front axle actuator takes the place of the hub disconnects on that Toyota.

If the   tries to bind in 2wd, it's probably stuck engaged. They'll do that. Also bad half shafts will do that.

When in 4x4, all 4 wheels turn at the same speed. If you try to force a different speed, than at least one will slip to relieve drive line stress.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Scout II is pretty much a thing of the past too.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeep TJ and earlier all had locked hubs all the time, you just disconnected the drive to the axle but all the axle guts always turn.  Unlocking hubs can save fuel cost on a Jeep in a hurry but the install cost is high.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

beat me to it
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not all 4runners have the center diff. If I'm not mistaken, they were only available from '00 on up, but still an option on certain years, so don't assume it is equipped this way across the board. I know my 99 is a non center diff 4wd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The reason it binds is because it doesn't have a center differential like the some 4Runners do. Those you can drive around on dry pavement in 4 high with the center diff unlocked. The Tundra and Tacoma don't have this feature so if you are on a high grip surface stick to 2WD.

Yeah my 00 didn't have it but my 05 did. Wish my 15 Tacoma had it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The 4th Gen (2005-2009) had a center diff/transfer case, which was discontinued on the 5th Gen SR5, Trail, and TRD Pro.  The Limited as an full time 4wd system, so it still has the Center diff/transfer case.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The 4th Gen (2005-2009) had a center diff/transfer case, which was discontinued on the 5th Gen SR5, Trail, and TRD Pro.  The Limited as an full time 4wd system, so it still has the Center diff/transfer case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow I thought more of them had it than that. It's a nice feature.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather have the 3rd gen's rear electric locker.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was pretty rare on the 3rd gen though right? Mine didn't have it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely.  It's not hard to swap one into a truck without it but the actual toyota e-locker is hard to find and very sought after.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Definitely.  It's not hard to swap one into a truck without it but the actual toyota e-locker is hard to find and very sought after.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put front and rear ARB lockers in mine, still never had a chance to use them though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top