Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 8:49:35 PM EDT
[url=http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-06-05-opcom_xhtm]Christians Also Battle For Palestinian Side[/url]
By Sherri Muzher

The questioner's tone is usually incredulous: "You mean there are Palestinian Christians?"

I understand the confusion. Many view the Palestinian-Israeli conflict as purely Muslims vs. Jews. And aren't Arabs all Muslims and Muslims all Arabs?

The reality is that some 15% of the world's Palestinians are Christians, a vibrant community that has experienced as much suffering as Palestinian Muslims. In the latest uprising for freedom, Palestinian Christians have been among those killed or maimed for life by Israeli bullets. Christians also have been among the Palestinians who have been unable to leave their towns, go to their jobs, seek medical care and attend schools.

Unfortunately, some are exploiting the general lack of knowledge about Palestinian Christians, either for political gain or for religions reasons -- or both. Many evangelical Christians believe the Bible promised the Jews the entire Holy Land, including the occupied territory. And some evangelicals also believe the second coming of Christ is contingent upon the full return of Jews to Jerusalem.

Last month, conservative Christian activist Gary Bauer spearheaded a letter, signed by other evangelical leaders, that warned President Bush that "it would be morally reprehensible for the United States to be 'evenhanded' between democratic Israel, a reliable friend and ally that shares our values, and the terrorist-infested Palestinian infrastructure." This week, the Jerusalem Post reported, the Rev. Pat Robertson, speaking on the Christian Broadcasting Network, said Bush's proposed road map to peace imperiled Israel and went "against the clear mandate of the Bible."

But the fact that Palestinian Christians are united with Palestinian Muslims in the goal of liberation shows that their struggle isn't so much religious as it is nationalistic and human.

I can understand, however, the public-relations value for Israelis in ignoring Palestinian Christians. After all, given the unfair vilification of Islam after 9/11, why let your Western supporters know that you are also battling Christians?

The evangelical leaders who warned Bush not to be "evenhanded" in peace negotiations may believe that they are speeding up Jesus' return, but it was Christ who said, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."

Which is it?

[Sherri Muzher, a Palestinian-American Christian, lives in Mason, Mich.]

Source:
[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-06-05-opcom_xhtm[/url]
View Quote

[edited title for the last time, because the last one was not very appropriate.]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I noticed a few religious threads earlier, where are all the Christians now?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In this country, religious concepts have no place in our foreign policy.  This country's constitution is based on a seperation of church and state.....for this exact reason!

BTW:   I consider myself a christian.  I do not, however, believe that our president should be basing his foreign policy on religion, no matter WHAT his beliefs are.  It would be the same as Kennedy handing the keys to the country over to the Pope.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I completely agree with you. Claiming that a country should be for "Christians only" or "Muslims only" or [b]"Jews only"[/b] is a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#4]
That editorial piece is almost complete BS.

Absolutely, there are Christian Arabs; all over the Arab world.  And they are persecuted by the Muslims only one step less than the few Jews who remain in Arab countries.

The vast majority of Christians in the Holy Land want nothing to do with the Intifada.  Loke most other people in the world, they just want peace and quiet. The Christian Arabs in Israel are some of its' most productive citizens, and when the Israelis pulled out of Southern Lebanon a few years back thousands of the Christian Arab population of the area came with them; because they knew what was ahead for them at the hands of the Muslims if they stayed.

Bethlehem was a Christian city ten years ago; just as one might expect of the birthplace of Jesus. Had been 80-90% Christian for over a thousand years.  Then the Israeli administration turned the city over to Arafat and his gang.

Today there are only a handful of Christians left. The Muslims have run them off, taken over the businesses, so now when that good Baptist lady from the US goes on her tour of the Holy Land, and buys a souvenier in Jesus' birthplace, she's putting money into the hands of a Muslim, who had his government's help in running off the original Christian owner of the business.

Very few of the Christian community have taken part in the intifada. What the Muslim terrorists love to do tho, is to launch sniping and rocket attacks on Israeli areas from Christian areas, so that when the Israelis fire back, Christian civilians are at risk for becomming casualties.  It's been a stinker of a problem for the IDF, who are aware of what's going on, but up til now have decided that they can't ignore the attacks b/c of the risk to Christians. To do so, they believe, would only encourage the terrorists to do more of the same.

Hanan Ashrawi, the ONLY Christian member of the PLOs inner circle, finally resigned in disgust with the PLOs persecution of the Christian Arab community last year.  Christian Arabs are emmigrating in ever increasing numbers; often coming here to the US to join relatives. The irony? Arafat hinself is married to a Christian woman. Go figure.

No, the editorial isn't complete BS---only about 90%[;D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]
required reading before responding to this thread: From the Holy Mountain : A Journey Among the Christians of the Middle East

The christians were the upper class of the pali civilivation. They had the mean to leave, and they did.  

Israel= Jewish State
Christians and Muslims in Israel= Second class citizens
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
required reading before responding to this thread: From the Holy Mountain : A Journey Among the Christians of the Middle East

The christians were the upper class of the pali civilivation. They had the mean to leave, and they did.  

Israel= Jewish State
View Quote

Jews in Arab countries= non citizens

More BS from another "intellectual idiot"!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:06:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Israel= Jewish State
View Quote

Jews in Arab countries= non citizens

More BS from another "intellectual idiot"!
View Quote

Until the fall of the ottoman empire christians and jews were second class citizens (but not by much). Most Jew have since immigrated to Israel.

More like
Jews in Arab contritries= oddities

non-Jews in Israel Proper= bout 35 percent of the population, and second class citizens

OT Are my arguments so strong that the only way people can respond are with insults? I shall henceforth take insults at arftcom as complements.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are my arguments so strong that the only way people can respond are with insults? I shall henceforth take insults at arftcom as complements.
View Quote

How dare you state facts that contradict what the TeeeeeeeeVeeeeee tells us about the Palestinian people!?!! What are you tryin' to do, provide information that compels people to re-assess their in-accurate understading of the situation??? Israelis demolish Christian Palestinians' homes, too? Why, you must be one of them Eeeeevil Nazis!!! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
blah, blah another "intellectual idiot"!
View Quote

Would any other intellectual idiots IM me? I feel like I am need of good argument. Around here it seems that I am a topic killer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
--The evangelical leaders who warned Bush not to be "evenhanded" in peace negotiations may believe that they are speeding up Jesus' return, but it was Christ who said, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."--

This excerpt from the article demonstrates an ignorance of biblical prophecy either on the writer's part or the proposes evangelical leaders'.  The return of Jesus cannot be "sped" up.  The Bible state often that things happen in "due season" or "due time"...in otherwords no sooner or later than when God has ordained.  We cannot speed up or slow down the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy, only be part of it's fulfillment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top