Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 7:06:19 PM EDT
I'm looking for a canoe. What type of canoe would be a good choice. I had a fiberglass 12 foot canoe couple years ago, I though it too heavy. I'm thinking aluminum now. I'm just going to use it at some of the fishing ponds around here. Maybe at the lake but mostly on ponds. What kind do you like?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Definetly go with a "plastic" canoe.

If you have a Galyans near you, check out their Galyans-brand canoes. They're made by great manufacturers. I bought one a few years ago and it was made by Dagger, which is generally considered to be a top canoe maker. I think they're made by Mad River now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Olde Town Canoes are very nice!

We have an aluminum one and the maintenance is non-existant!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Olde Town Canoes are very nice!

We have an aluminum one and the maintenance is non-existant!

BigDozer66
View Quote

ditto that on the old town, although I've never seen an aluminum old town. BTW plastic is the best, avoid fiberglass(fragile) and aluminum (noisy), the plastic ones are indestructible. My parents bought an 18footer back in the early '70s and it's still going strong after years of abuse.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sam's club has a 15-16'canoe, plactic, built in cooler,cup holders, three seats,(front, middle,with hinged lid,cooler, rear,) paddles (2) for $350.00 I think, anyway, not a bad deal
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes for Olde Towne.  You should be able to find a guide model for around $450.  Not quite as sturdy as aluminum, but alot more quiet.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
My first canoe trip was led by a guy with an Old Town. Very nice canoe, let us use it for a few short runs.  

A guy and his son bought an aluminum canoe for this event and it was crimped on the 2nd run.  By the end of the day, the thwarts were coming loose and several rivets had pulled out.

Granted, it was kind of a lightweight one, but I was surprised how quickly it turned to crap.
Maybe it was made only for the lake.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto the old town info
The things that make a canoe "good" when fighting
into the wind across a large lake (with your fat
fishing buddy)are not the same as the things that
make it good when trying to hoist it onto a car
or truck by yourself just to get around a small
pond or fishing hole . Try to be honest with
yourself as to how you will really be useing it
and fit the size,shape,and material to this use
Another suggestion- if you will be moveing it with
a pickup (instead of a car with roofracks)check
out a small flatbottom (johnboat) NHSPORT
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't know what your going to do with it, but these are nice I have one.[url]http://www.pokeboat.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I will join the herd and proclaim Old Town Canoes are the best.

Edited 'cuz I put an "e" in "Town".  oops
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for the mix up...The aluminum canoe is not an Old Town![BD]

My dad also has a Coleman RamX 15' which may be fiberglass?

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Wood Canvas...The real deal!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Dagger Reflection 15'. It is outfitted with a third set for my solo adventures but I did use it as a tandum set-up with the wife for several years.

Dagger, Old Town, Blue Hole are all good products. check out this site-->[url]http://mohawkcanoes.com/home.htm[/url]

I would buy aboat made of Royalex for the weight savings. Stay away from AL and fiberglass, unless you only use it in a lake. Rocks love to punch holes.

Go to the manufacurer's websites for some good information.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
 Canoes are as broad a topic as guns-and can be as specialized. You specifying pond use is certainly necessary for appropriate recommendations.
 Plastic is the SKS choice continuing that analogy. Cheap and rugged but lacks sophistication of design and heavy. Aluminum is about dead as a canoe material-too many defects[noisy, gets hot and 'holds' dents, etc]. ABS beats it hollow for durability for white water and doesn't sound like 'rocks-in-a-can' going downstream.
 If you're going to be putting in on ponds[alot of transport and carrying] and flatwater streams, a kevlar solo is obviously your best choice. Tough, quiet, light and fast-but expensive. Simply nothing else compares. Alot of custom makers as well as major companies[Wenonah, Mad River] make them. A Mohawk in their mid-weight ABS is probably more cost effective-but heavier.
 You'll throw stones at a 56-68# plastic dog after using a sleek 23# kevlar! Match your length choice with your expected 'carrying' weight. Hull design is critical for application satisfaction. Do alot of research before buying. Ghost
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 a kevlar solo is obviously your best choice. Tough, quiet, light and fast-but expensive. Simply nothing else compares.   You'll throw stones at a 56-68# plastic dog after using a sleek 23# kevlar! Match your length choice with your expected 'carrying' weight. Hull design is critical for application satisfaction. Do alot of research before buying. Ghost
View Quote

Damn, I forgot about the kevlar boats, never paddled one, but always wanted to!

High speed low drag....it applies to canoes as well [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top