Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2016 11:05:02 PM EDT
The last cigarette I smoked was on 20 August, 2014.  There was nothing magic about how I did it but maybe some information about how it happened will be useful to someone else trying to break the habit.

I started smoking regularly around my 25th year.  Early in September I will have managed to stay alive for 69 years.  On two different occasions several decades ago I got too sick to smoke for a few days and took advantage of those days by turning them into nine months without smoking.  On both occasions it all ended in the presence of friends and some beers and just one cigarette for old times.  On both occasions within a few days I had bought a carton and was smoking more than ever before.  For many years I was afraid to try to quit again because if I failed and started again I would have a cigarette in my hand most of the time.  I am an addict.

By August of 2014 I could feel every cigarette take something out of me.  If I got up and walked fast across a room after smoking I would get dizzy. There was a pacemaker in my chest for AFib probably because of smoking.  Fortunately I came down with some nasty stomach virus or something else that had me nauseous, puking, on my back, and not smoking for three days.  As I recovered I decided to again take advantage of the fact that I had those awful first days of not smoking behind me and try to quit again because I knew it needed to happen and I finally really wanted it to happen.  Something told me that hiding from cigarettes was not the thing to do because they would always be available.  I left half a pack on my desk in plain sight and half a carton in the house at first but I threw the  pack away after a couple of weeks and gave the half carton away after about a month.

Since August 2014 I have gained back the 20 pounds I had lost because of some dental issues.  I really liked weighing around 155 but I can manage how I am now if I can hold this line.

I sure would enjoy a cigarette about now.  That will never change but I think I have it figured out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
nicotine is the meanest bitch of them all
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think nicotine is a particularly strong addiction, physiologically.  However, the psychological addiction to the act of smoking is extraordinarily strong.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for you. I think I'll be at 2 years tobacco free on Valentine's Day.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It's hard, but worth it.  Keep it up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for you, been about 10 years, and I still crave one once in a while
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
<--- 44 years without a cigarette
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Way to go!  I haven't had nicotine in a long while... I smoked for a few years, dipped, chewed, snused, vaped, smoked again.  All in all I went 10-12 years on nicotine.  I know the health consequences - thus my quitting, but I still know that I was happier, calmer, and mentally sharper with nicotine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
8 months.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the reminder. I quit August 2013.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I quit in 2011, I had to use Chantix, or I never would have made it past the first day. It still sucked, the meds just made it suck a little less than the last time I tried to quit. No headaches, just the cravings.

I do miss the morning smoke with a cup of coffee. God that was wonderful. I told my wife that if I'm ever diagnosed with a terminal illness, my first stop on the way home from the doctor will be for a carton of Marlboro reds, and some shitty convenience store coffee. It won't matter by that time, and I'll enjoy what time I have left.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't think nicotine is a particularly strong addiction, physiologically.  However, the psychological addiction to the act of smoking is extraordinarily strong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard and read that nicotine is just as addictive as heroin. To tired and buzzed to go looking for citations, but I believe it.

Good Job OP!

Hang in there!

I am 22 years out from my last cigarette, and 14 years from my last tobacco use.

Started in the military and was a hard core, 2 pack a day smoker for ten years.

Had to quit smoking when I hired on at the FD, switched to dip, quit that for my son when he was born, didn't want him growing up around it, or worse, without me.

You can live without the cancer sticks.

I look at it now as idiots paying good money to poison themselves and commit slow, painful suicide.

I used to be one of those idiots.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Sucks dunnit?

"quit" 2009...last cheater cigarette was probably 2012
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quit in 2005.  Took three years to quit, still stress crave occasionally but you couldn't pay me to have another one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Never smoked, but grew up with both parents who did (along with friends, etc). Congrats on your achievement.  Here's to many more years ahead.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<--- 44 years without a cigarette
View Quote

I'm about to hit 40 years
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Good job. I quit 12/24/1990
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#18]
about 20yrs or so for me.

Smoking is gross and stinky.

It still amazes me when I smell a smoker and realize that I once smelled like that
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fairly strong.

I quit smoking about a year and a half ago.

Started vaping at a really high nicotine level at first (18mg) and tapered down to 1.5mg.
Was hitting the damn thing like a fiend.
Settled at 3mg.

Smoking sucks, not smoking sucks but cancer sucks worse then both of them.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I quit skoal 2 years ago, and my mouth still waters when I smell it on someone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Stay strong.

April 25th 1996 was the day I quit smoking. Nicotine gum FTW.  

ETA: my wife still smokes. Annoys the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Hang tough.  October 31, 2004 after twenty five years of smoking.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Smoke free for years and keep a pack in the freezer for guests.  Stay strong!  Under no circumstance could I see myself smoking one.  I will even go out to the smoke shack at work to do business and not get tempted.  I thought I could deal with the smell in my home a few years back and let a woman I was dating smoke inside... Was coughing the whole next morning from second hand smoke.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Welbutrin and nicotine lozenges in 2004. Now I work with a smoker, the damned things kind of smell good sometimes but other than that I rarely think about them.

When I quit I was scared shitless that I had cancer. Turned out that I was okay, but took it as a warning to quit. Made a unilateral deal with God I'd stay quit, but if I ever started again I'd deserve to get cancer and I wouldn't come whining to Him about it. That's been a real incentive to not touch a cig.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Congrats

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#26]

I never wanted to live this long.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I've never smoked a cigarette but General Snus is my love. Please don't tel my dentist,
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Congrats op

I will be 4 years this month....
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Good job OP. I am 3.5 years without a smoke now, not even a cheat smoke. I hardly crave one, but every now and then I wake up from the "smoking dream" that seems all to real.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quit Dec 2011 after 21.5 years.  Cold turkey.  Still get a VERY mild urge every now and then, but I know if I actually smoked I'd get sick from it.

Hang in there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Good job OP.

I'm coming up on a year alcohol free.  

Addiction sucks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#33]
August 8 2011 for me. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Either smoked or chewed for 20 years. I've a a couple of cigars, but no cigarettes or Copenhagen in 8 years. God I miss Cope.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations!  It isn't an easy addiction to beat!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

...and what was your FAVORITE SMOKE...hmmmmn?  

I found it easiest to wake up and just - not smoke.
Worked the last 7 times...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Congrats bud.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#38]
<- Quit cold turkey first week of June, 2005. Have not had one since, but, I still miss those damn things.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Well done.  Keep it up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I sure would enjoy a cigarette about now.  That will never change but I think I have it figured out.
View Quote

No, no you wouldnt. I went nearly a year before smoking again once in the past. It tasted absolutely horrible.

Its right around a year again for me, again. I have zero desire to ever smoke again. I'm better without it

Fuck tobacco

Quoted:
but I still know that I was happier, calmer, and mentally sharper with nicotine.
View Quote

Jesus christ the brainwashing runs deep with some of you. Check out Alan Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Reframing the way you think about smoking is key.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:35:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Jan 5 will be two years for me.  I once quit for 12 years.  Then had a bad day while I was with a smoking buddy.  Smoked two of his Marlboros and bought a pack on the way home after a night of darts and beer.  That was 18 years ago.  Cold turkey is the only way to go.  I'm done for good this time.  I'm too old and have other issues to add that crap to.  Plus, I'm $300 richer each month!  I can honestly say that sometimes I wish I had one.  But that won't happen again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Congrats OP

I quit around 1993 I think - smoked approx. 10yrs ( 23-33yo )

Cold turkey

I am too strong willed to fail if I put my mind to something
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, no you wouldnt. I went nearly a year before smoking again once in the past. It tasted absolutely horrible.

Its right around a year again for me, again. I have zero desire to ever smoke again. I'm better without it

Fuck tobacco

Jesus christ the brainwashing runs deep with some of you. Check out Alan Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Reframing the way you think about smoking is key.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck tobacco

Quoted:
but I still know that I was happier, calmer, and mentally sharper with nicotine.

Sounds like you and Alan Carr have it all worked out. How many times have you "quit" exactly? At least 2, the way I read your post.  Which time worked best? Best of luck next time you quit, teener.

Eta: smoking was my least favorite delivery system. Swedish snus was the best.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:30:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Congrats.  Gets easier with time.  It's been about 4.5 years for me now and it the best thing I have ever done.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#45]

I had my last cigarette on Halloween night 2012.

And I haven't had a drink in almost 15 minutes.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I need to man the fuck up and quit Copenhagen snuff. Been severely addicted since 7th grade. I'm 44 now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I'll smoke an extra one for you today.

Nobody likes a quitter.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had my last cigarette on Halloween night 2012.

And I haven't had a drink in almost 15 minutes.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:11:56 AM EDT
[#49]
It's almost two years for me.  I quit November of 2014.  I took up vaping as a crutch to quit.  I felt so tired that I could wake up after 12 hours of sleep and still feel like death warmed over.

I took a break from vaping after only two months and I felt fine.

Vaping made me feel worse than smoking.

I quit both.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:14:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm smoking right now.

10 years at it, I'm 24.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top