Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 10:42:57 AM EDT
Every time a knife thread pops up, we find hundreds of people carrying pocketknives around every day. Most (I assume) would say that they're for self-defense and the occasional utility use. So how many people have actually had to use a pocketknife to defend themselves? The more stories, the better, of course.

Related question: If you had a gun too, would you ever draw the knife instead? Say, if the bag guy was already on top of you?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I was attacked by a big-ass roll of packing tape once.

I cut out a hole, grabbed my cell phone, and called my mom.[BD]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have.  While making emergency repairs to my vehicle by the side of the road I was approached by some young punk wannabe gang-banger types.  One of me asked if I wanted to fight.

I turned around, looked him in the eye and said "I beg your pardon?" holding a Buck knife in one hand and a socket wrench in the other.  He said "Uh, what time is it?"

I replied "Ten to".

He said "Ten to what?"

I said "Ten(d) to your own business!"

They left.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#3]
when I first joined the service years ago..a arsehole NCO stole my food infront of all these guys while in the back of a deuce n a half.  well, lets just say my Gerber became part of his thieving hand.  Nobody was charged with anything.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope, but I killed a deer with mine once. I left the house without a magazine for my 742 Remington and had one shot. It didn't do the trick and I stood on this spikes neck and front legs while I did a surgical incision and reached in and bisected the heart.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I defended myself from a dieing deer once with my Buck knife.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone Here Used A Pocketknife For Self-Defense?

I used his. My day was bad. His day was worse.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
No, but I have a great self-defense folder: Benchmade 806D2.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I was in a bar and some dirtbag decided to leave with a friend's purse (yes , friend was female ) I followed him outside into a dark alley ( how typical , go figure ) I was standing on the lighted sidewalk and could not even see him , so I pulled out my folder (benchmade) , apparently he could see me , cause he dropped the purse and took off running ....

did not "use" it , but I do consider that incident as "defense"....she did buy me a drink , could not figure if I felt like a hero or an idiot for lookin' for trouble... the question did get raised in my mind of whether or not I would have used it and if that would have been a good thing ( I tend to think that it would have been going too far )

t
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Twice, First I just showed it.and they got the point. [I slay me]

Second had at guy trying to stab me with a screwdriver.He missed, I got his arm, he ran off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry one every day , but have come to doubt that I will use it unless I am well and truly in fear for my life , not to protect my property , or save myself an ass-whuppin'....

there is the risk that it will get taken away from you and used on you ( I know someone this happened to )

But my primary reservation is the difference between Assault and Battery and Assault with a Deadly Weapon....even with this hypothetical "defense" scenario things can still get awful sticky leagally speaking....

t
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing I use my pocketknives for are to cut tape or other utility type things. I use a Spyderco Police model most of the time, and if you have seen it, it is very intimidating in the hands of someone who is 6'2" and 215lbs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I have.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]
once when I was in high school. Gut stuck in the leg, but managed to get it away from the dick and "got him back." He ran off, I went home and dressed my wound as best I could before my mom got home.  Still have the scar.
I carry a very small Scrade in my pocket, for utility purposes. I could use it for defense, but It wouldn't be my first choice.  In fact I'd probably use my hands first, since they're always at the ready, and don't have to be opened or taken off safe. Unless of course it's a gunfight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Bechmade Mini-AFCK in my pocket 7 days a week. I'm lost without it. Unfortuatly, it needs to be sharpened. I don't want to be without it long enough to send it to Benchmade for the "lifesharp" offer so I've been using it dull for a couple months. My other knife is a Benchmade AFO and its still brand new. I'd hate to cut wire with it...its just too pretty!
I use my AFCK at work more than any other tool (I'm a technician).
Stripping wire, cutting tape, rope, boxes...etc.

I have been in exactly one situation where I considered plugging it in a guys arm. Luckily he didn't reach in my window. I was ready to ruin his day if he had.

The old saying "If you carry a gun, carry a knife" holds true to this day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Killed a 30 foot gater and a wearwolf with my pocket knife. My dogs told me the were in the back yard.
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18081/p/343676_6829374534199738481_vl.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I had to use one for self defense once when I was 15. I was jumped by three guys that were football players at the high school where I went. One of which had beaten me up at least once a week for the past few years. I pulled out the knife and showed it to them, telling them to leave me alone. One of them(the bully mentioned earlier) proceded to take a swing at me, and then bending forward, rushed me grabbing me around the waist as the others were flanking me. I stuck him in the back just missing his heart by 1/4 inch.
Needless to say that got his attention. As he was standing up I got him on the forearm. I later found that the damage to my attacker was a punctured lung and the cut on his arm. He took eight stiches in the back and ten on his forearm. He almost died that night.

It's weird, I can still see the expression on his face. It was complete disbelief of what had just happened. His friends just stood there all bug eyed with their mouths open in shock.

I was charged with multiple counts ranging from attempted murder to malicious wounding. At the trial the judge asked my attacker why he chose to attack me AFTER I had showed him the knife and told them to leave me alone. His reply was "I didn't think he would use it". The judge proceded to give him a lecture about violence and getting what he deserved and promptly dismissed the case on the grounds of self defense. I came out smelling like a rose but the incident still haunts me to this day.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#19]
 One time growing up down on the farm we were castrating 30 pound pigs when BIG mama pig came and busted into the little shed we were in. Stabbed her in the nose with a stockmans knife.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have.  While making emergency repairs to my vehicle by the side of the road I was approached by some young punk wannabe gang-banger types.  One of me asked if I wanted to fight.

I turned around, looked him in the eye and said "I beg your pardon?" holding a Buck knife in one hand and a socket wrench in the other.  He said "Uh, what time is it?"

I replied "Ten to".

He said "Ten to what?"

I said "Ten(d) to your own business!"

They left.
View Quote
that was good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Killed a 30 foot gater and a wearwolf with my pocket knife. My dogs told me the were in the back yard.
[url]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18081/p/343676_6829374534199738481_vl.jpg[/url]
View Quote
That was even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top