Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 8:06:00 AM EDT
Some members here have bought or are going to buy a new vehicle, what is the word today on rust proofing, I have been told by some that a person does not to do it, but I am a guy who keeps my vehicle for a long time, so do do you rust proof a vehicle or is it just a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you live up north, or do you live somewhere where salt is rarely if ever used on roads?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Ohio, we keep the salt mines in operation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The next question would be do you work on your own car. I reckon, if you're up north, it *might* be worth it, but I probably still wouldn't trust it completely. We has a van that had undercoating/rust inhibitor sprayed on it, and it was like a rubber coating that covered wires, screws, etc. In the heat, it was pretty messy if you had to work on it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the vehicle.  Most high-end vehicles are double galvanized metal and see no benefit from undercoating etc.  Some are even harmed by such treatments as it can trap water/salt.  Body panel rusting is a thing of the past.  Its the little bits that rust.   Most vehicles have excellent warranties on rust as the industry has come a long way from the old high-tensile strength steel days where a scratch would rust through in one year.

Stay away from any dealership that ratchets the price up by undercoating/pin striping all the cars on the lot.  Pin striping costs ~$80 but dealers charge $300.  What a profit maker...

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I lived in Colorado for 4 years and now I live near the beach. Never had a problem with rust, but then again the car is only 8 years old. When I lived in Colorado I did the undercarriage wash pretty often. Now I just wash and wax the body.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
It depends on the maker and sometimes the model.

A lot of cars already come with undercoat from the factory.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Dealer add on designed to pad the dealers pockets. Any quality car produced today will have ample rust proffing. If the dealer will do it for free, go for it. But IMO it is not needed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I did the rust proofing myself, cost me 30-40- bucks for product and  my time, most of which was clean up, karamba, what a mess, next time , (never I hope) I am buying a  disposable moon   suit to do it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top