Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 10:10:03 PM EDT
I'm down to 100 g per day of carbs and NONE of those are refined sugar/starches. Mostly fruits, legumes and nuts. I'm going to cut beans out next and see what that does. Maybe offset with hard boiled eggs or something. I read that fiber will dampen the insulin response too, so maybe eat some celery?

Any tips on getting the sugar cravings under control? I just squashed mine with a can of tuna and mayo, but they will surely return... God help me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop being a pussy
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously though... Are you keeping track of macros? Usually something high fat will help with cravings IME.

Nuts you have to be careful with, a little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm down to 100 g per day of carbs and NONE of those are refined sugar/starches. Mostly fruits, legumes and nuts. I'm going to cut beans out next and see what that does. Maybe offset with hard boiled eggs or something. I read that fiber will dampen the insulin response too, so maybe eat some celery too?

Any tips on getting the sugar cravings under control? I just squashed mine with a can of tuna and mayo, but they will surely return... God help me.
View Quote

Fruits help me and sometimes things made with Stevia or Raw Honey. My wife makes a killer Peanut Butter cookie with Almond meal and Stevia, 3 carbs per cookie. Couple of those work for me.

Recepie came from this book, their brownie recepie is great (albeit crumble'y.)

Primal Cravings
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
How long have you been cutting carbs?  I find that I just have to get over the "hump" which for me is usually about a week and my cravings go away.  I eat a lot less carbs than 100g though especially the first few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't eat fruit or beans when I'm doing low carb. Pretty easy to stay under 30g TBH.

For me it seems easier to beat sugar cravings by not tempting fate and staying super low carb, staying hydrated and supplementing electrolytes as needed. I have a somewhat physical job and sweat out every day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long have you been cutting carbs?  I find that I just have to get over the "hump" which for me is usually about a week and my cravings go away.  I eat a lot less carbs than 100g though especially the first few weeks.
View Quote

About 2 weeks, slipped a few last week while on a business trip... I cut my alcohol consumption to 3-4 beers a week too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fruits help me and sometimes things made with Stevia or Raw Honey. My wife makes a killer Peanut Butter cookie with Almond meal and Stevia, 3 carbs per cookie. Couple of those work for me.

Primal Cravings
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm down to 100 g per day of carbs and NONE of those are refined sugar/starches. Mostly fruits, legumes and nuts. I'm going to cut beans out next and see what that does. Maybe offset with hard boiled eggs or something. I read that fiber will dampen the insulin response too, so maybe eat some celery too?

Primal Cravings

That sounds great, I love peanut butter cookies. Never tried Stevia, maybe pick some up after work tomorrow to try in my coffee. Lack of sugar creamy goodness is killing me too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO you gotta be religious with it the first couple weeks.  You probably still have cravings because you're still indulging in carbs from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Does everyone on ARF know that carbs are converted into ATP by the mitochondria for energy and it's sugar that's the problem because it's metabolized in the liver or are there still people here who think carbs and sugar are the same? (hint: they have different names for a reason).

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine hit a wall tonight.

I had a poor man's ribeye with sour cream and butter, collared greens, and two slices of tomato at 11am.. That was it for the day until..

Got off of my sidejob @ 9pm and grabbed an Italian sub with everything and a 6 pack of Miller. . Tired and hungry got me today
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Seriously though... Are you keeping track of macros? Usually something high fat will help with cravings IME.

View Quote

No workout today, but walked 10k steps at work sweating my ass off in FRCs. Fuck LA in FRCs.

I've been using Fitbit. Here's todays:
Daily Totals
Calories 1636
Fat 82 g
Fiber 21.6 g
Carbs 117.4 g
Sodium 3551.1 mg
Protein 111.4 g
Daily Calorie Composition: 28% from carbs, 45% from fat and 27% from protein.

I started my day with two slices a bacon and a cup of black coffee.

Mid morning snack of 2 oz homemade beef jerky (flank steak, fatty), 1 carrot sliced.

Lunch, can of Campbell's Chunky Clam Chowder (emergency work ration stash)

Afternoon snack another carrot, 3 handfuls of roasted pumpkin seeds.

Dinner home made chili with beans! Steamed veggies, handful of dried mango (home made no sugar) for dessert.

Cravings hit... eat can of tuna in oil with olive oil mayo. Slice of Havarti cheese... Cravings gone... for now.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm 5 weeks into a 12 week lean out program

Breakfast:
5 egg whites
Protein shake

Snack:
Hand full of almonds

Lunch:
8oz lean meat or chicken
1 cup of potatoes

Pre work out
Blueberries and strawberries

Dinner:
8oz of lean meet
Green veggies
Protein shake
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
you are eating way too many carbs and likely are not in ketosis and your body is starving for carbs because it isn't burning fat.

Try less than 50 grams of total carbs, not net carbs, you might even need to reduce carbs more than that. everybody is different.

if you aren't in ketosis you will grave carbs. there is a big keto thread here. you should read it, lots of good info

cut the fruit and legumes completely and ip the fat.

standard numbers should be in calories

75% fat or more
15% protein
<10% carbs  or less no more than 50 total grams for most people.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
you are eating way too many carbs and likely are not in ketosis and your body is starving for carbs because it isn't burning fat.

Try less than 50 grams of total carbs, not net carbs, you might even need to reduce carbs more than that. everybody is different.

if you aren't in ketosis you will grave carbs. there is a big keto thread here. you should read it, lots of good info

75% fat or more
15% protein
View Quote

I'm doing it!!

Daily Totals
Calories 2050

Fat 134.2 g
Carbs 52.9 g
Protein 110.8

Fiber 8 g

Sodium 2557.8 mg

11% from carbs, 65% from fat and 24% from protein.

Thinking of buying some flaxseed powder and more almonds. Need to figure out the fiber situation. Maybe eat more veggies or flax seed meal baked goods?

I decided to treat myself to a Yuengling tonight. Tomorrow going to hit the gym hard in the AM per the Bodybuilding.com guide to Ketosis. Will HIIT with mix of squats, deadlift and treadmill sprints.

Question: does caffeine impair the metabolic change?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry OP but 100 gr carbs isn't low enough

To kill cravings you must get into nutritional ketosis

Get under 20 for a few weeks, til you feel the new energy kick in

The. You can inch back up to 50 if you're active and not needing to lose weight fast

The cravings for sugar go away when your body starts burning fat for fuel and yiu stop dumping glucose into your blood which causes insulin to spike, thus driving blood sugar down and igniting cravings

And as far as cravings go, a carb is a carb

The only exceptions are veggies like broccoli cuz of high fiber and its damn hard to eat enough to spike insulin

"The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" by Phinney
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

75% fat or more
15% protein
View Quote

Read up to prep for the transition

It requires some attention

The body must adapt
But it is so worth it
It'll change your life
Good luck
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
100 grams of carbohydrate is too much.

If you eat more than zero carbohydrate it becomes impossible to lose weight because of "insulin spikes".

So sayeth the lord of ketosis. Praise be his name.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm doing it!!

Daily Totals
Calories 2050

Fat 134.2 g
Carbs 52.9 g
Protein 110.8
OrthoPros reminds you that Victor has an orthodontic appointment on 8/16/2016 at 2:45 PM. To Confirm reply with "Yes 6828'' or to cancel reply with ''No 6828''.
Fiber 8 g

Sodium 2557.8 mg

Thinking of buying some flaxseed powder and more almonds. Need to figure out the fiber situation. Maybe eat more veggies or flax seed meal baked goods?

I decided to treat myself to a Yuengling tonight. Tomorrow going to hit the gym hard in the AM per the Bodybuilding.com guide to Ketosis. Will HIIT with mix of squats, deadlift and treadmill sprints.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

75% fat or more
15% protein

I'm doing it!!

Daily Totals
Calories 2050

Fat 134.2 g
Carbs 52.9 g
Protein 110.8
OrthoPros reminds you that Victor has an orthodontic appointment on 8/16/2016 at 2:45 PM. To Confirm reply with "Yes 6828'' or to cancel reply with ''No 6828''.
Fiber 8 g

Sodium 2557.8 mg

Lots of opinions on caffeine

It's personal

I drink one cup every morning with coconut oil butter n heavy cream
No problem staying in ketosis
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
100 grams of carbohydrate is too much.

If you eat more than zero carbohydrate it becomes impossible to lose weight because of "insulin spikes".

So sayeth the lord of ketosis. Praise be his name.

View Quote

Yes first sentence is correct

The rest is really funny, great contributio
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#20]
OP what do you weigh? I'm 230 and want to do paleo but wife keeps making cookies and shit
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]

cut carbs to ZERO and you'll be into ketosis in about 36 to 60 hours.

stay at zero for a week or two if you really want to burn fat.

only then re-introduce carbs in small amounts (<20grams/day to start)

like the other guy said, find the keto thread for more info.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP what do you weigh? I'm 230 and want to do paleo but wife keeps making cookies and shit
View Quote

5'9", 185 lbs at 20% body fat, age 34. My job is a mix of office and field work and I routinely walk 10k steps a day and I work out 3 times a week for an hour.

I have elevated blood glucose levels (116, up from 109 last year), but everything else is perfect. Last year I improved things in the fall and was feeling GREAT, then spring Turnaround season destroyed my life and I fed on ALL the free food and soda at work.

No history of diabetes in either side of the family, so probably my sweet tooth has contributed to NAFL (have not visited Dr for an ultrasound).

I'm going to fix this thing and reverse it through diet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#23]
cut your carbs a lot more and eat more fat.

like 20 grams of net carbs (total carbs minus fiber).

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Carrots. I eat a ridiculous amount of carrots because I'm a snack fiend. I buy the 25lb bag of juice carrots for like $7 and it'll last 3-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No workout today, but walked 10k steps at work sweating my ass off in FRCs. Fuck LA in FRCs.

Daily Totals
Calories 1636
Fat 82 g
Fiber 21.6 g
Carbs 117.4 g
Sodium 3551.1 mg
Protein 111.4 g

Mid morning snack of 2 oz homemade beef jerky (flank steak, fatty), 1 carrot sliced.

Dinner home made chili with beans! Steamed veggies, handful of dried mango (home made no sugar) for dessert.

Cravings hit... eat can of tuna in oil with olive oil mayo. Slice of Havarti cheese... Cravings gone... for now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daily Totals
Calories 1636
Fat 82 g
Fiber 21.6 g
Carbs 117.4 g
Sodium 3551.1 mg
Protein 111.4 g

carrots and mango are mostly just sugar
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm doing it!!

Daily Totals
Calories 2050

Fat 134.2 g
Carbs 52.9 g
Protein 110.8

Fiber 8 g

Sodium 2557.8 mg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

75% fat or more
15% protein

I'm doing it!!

Daily Totals
Calories 2050

Fat 134.2 g
Carbs 52.9 g
Protein 110.8

Fiber 8 g

Sodium 2557.8 mg

i get my fiber from avacados nuts, berries, chia seeds and a fuckload of greens
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Artificial sweeteners will ramp up your carb cravings.  When you taste sweetness, your body pre-emptively pumps out insulin. Which crashes your blood sugar, and makes you crave carbs. Then, when you don't get carbs, your body learns to start ignoring insulin. Which is a bad thing.

Instead, eat more healthy fats. Add ghee or olive oil or grass-fed beef grease to your meal. Fiber and healthy fats will both keep your insulin spikes down, which helps cut down the cravings.

I personally like broccoli (steam-in-bag) with melted ghee drizzled over.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#28]
My "regularity" always gets fucked up (constipated for a few days then explosively urgent).

Any tips?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Go for a walk, quit being a starfish.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My "regularity" always gets fucked up (constipated for a few days then explosively urgent).

Any tips?
View Quote

Did you just turn this into a Poop Thread?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any tips?

It's part and parcel of the program, so maybe it was one from the start
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any tips?

It's called Fiber and plenty of people here could benefit from Luis Villasenor's appearance on the Sigma Nutrition podcast recently.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Eat 20 Krystals.

You know you want to.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought all of the plant material was supposed to supply the fiber?  Adjustment period or improper diet?  Meats, cheeses, assorted leafy greens, occasional tomato/onion/insert veg
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm 5 weeks into a 12 week lean out program

Breakfast:
5 egg whites
Protein shake

Snack:
Hand full of almonds

Lunch:
8oz lean meat or chicken
1 cup of potatoes

Pre work out
Blueberries and strawberries

Dinner:
8oz of lean meet
Green veggies
Protein shake
View Quote

Why lean meat and no egg yolks?

If it's working for you great

However, calorie restriction in the absence of ketosis will almost always result in the down regulation of your resting metabolism rate as a starvation response

This is why you don't see reunion shows of "The Biggest Loser"

After 6 months the body burns far less energy

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

5'9", 185 lbs at 20% body fat, age 34. My job is a mix of office and field work and I routinely walk 10k steps a day and I work out 3 times a week for an hour.

I have elevated blood glucose levels (116, up from 109 last year), but everything else is perfect. Last year I improved things in the fall and was feeling GREAT, then spring Turnaround season destroyed my life and I fed on ALL the free food and soda at work.

No history of diabetes in either side of the family, so probably my sweet tooth has contributed to NAFL (have not visited Dr for an ultrasound).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fasting blood glucose at 116 is a bad sign

Either stress or metabolic damage

You are in the same boat I was

Fixed it with KETO

Even if you don't get any higher blood glucose, you are shortening your life and diminishing your overall health

No compromises--- not "lower" carbs

You need to go high fat and very low carbs w moderate propein
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Since getting out of bed at 9am I'd eaten 170 cal of peanuts and 100 cal of corned beef. Then I said "fuck this, I'm starving!" and ate four avocados.

I'm satisfied. (Except I wish it would stop raining so I could go on my "long route" walk.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fixed it with KETO

Even if you don't get any higher blood glucose, you are shortening your life and diminishing your overall health

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it with KETO

Yup, day two of Keto diet.

Woke up this morning and hit  the gym for some HIIT on an empty stomach per the BB.com guide.

Got home and ate the following:
Calories 967
Fat 76.5 g
Carbs 20.3 g
Protein 50.1 g

Mixture of eggs, salmon, cheese, olive oil and a tomato.

Feeling kinda weird and tired. My Ketostix showing positive at 15 mg/dL. Some intestinal issues... I'm not stopped up though strangely.

Making a pot roast right now. Going to eat another 60 g of fat and 40 g of protein today, perhaps another 10-15 g more carbs. Spinach salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Should get me to 6-7% from carbs, 72-73% from fat and 20-22% from protein
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#40]
There is only one diet that works.

Eat less, move around more.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#41]
20-30 carbs a day for 30 days and the cravings will be gone.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There is only one diet that works.

Eat less garbage, move around more.
View Quote

All calories are not equal. 2000 calories from carbs and sugar will make dropping weight more difficult than 2000 calories from protein. Meat & veggies are best. The food pyramid is upside down.

Moving around more is always a great idea. It helped me drop a hundred pounds since January.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top