Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 5:33:17 AM EDT
So my sister shows up at the house looking for a last minute babysitter for my 8 y.o. nephew. Cool. I love the kid dearly. I was already planning to go to Dunham's Sports, Lowe’s, and the Army/Navy Surplus store and he could just tag along. Of course, this means the obligatory "Hey Uncle, would you please buy me this _X_ [fill in the blank]". No problem though, I've spoiled the little shit from day one.

So we get to Dunham's and have a grand time. After playing rollerblade hockey in the aisles until the store manager asks us to stop, we pick out gun cleaning supplies and head for the counter. As the cute thing with the fine, little bubble butt is ringing us up, he hold up this box he picked up from the point of sale, impulse-buy junk display and proclaims loudly, "This is the deck I need! Would you please buy this for me?” The box had some Japan-a-mation Final Fantasy looking figures on it, but I didn’t know what the hell it was but it was $9.87. He sure knew what it was though and he really had to have it. Since he proclaimed it loudly enough for the girl to stop and glance over, I had to show my coolness and didn’t want to come across as a crabby, stingy guy with the cute kid. So I said, “Put it up there” and the cute little blonde C cup with the bubble butt scanned it in.

So we get out to the car and he tears into this box. It’s a fucking DECK OF PLAYING CARDS!!! I mean, okay…. Pokemon was what? $3 bucks a pack?

This shit is $10 goddamned dollars a pack. To top it all off… I’m pretty clued in to pop culture…. Hell, I even watch SpongeBob (okay… I  have even watched it WITHOUT him being there…) This damn Yu-Gi-Oh has completely escaped under my radar and I got snookered into buying it. What the hell is it? And WHY is it $10 a pack?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
yu-gi-oh.....fighting foodons.......ultimate muscle.......it never ends!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
well he could ask you to buy him hair jell.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It's the next generation of PokeMon.  Don't try to fight it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
[:)] No kidding Ben - my daughter has been 'trading' these cards for about 6 months now. I don't even think she's played the game once but she's already in the capitalist mindset. Buy a pack, sell'em off, use the money to buy others.

I used to collect Magic cards and did the same thing. When the whole pokemon rage came about, I reluctantly took her to see the first movie. The first 20 minutes of that movie was like an acid trip - low gutteral groans and flashing images of these demented 'creatures'. Could have sworn that I heard - "Buy a Toyota."

Looking at the kids in the theater, they all were fixated on the screen, eyes wide open and turned into a bunch of mouth breathers.
Yeah, this is healthy.

Wanna see something really messed up? A few years back there was this Japanese animated kids movie that all the 'intellects' were giving awards to - "Totoro" - My mom bought it for my daughter one Christmas. I cant even remember what it was about (as with most acid trips) but it had a cat that was a schoolbus and it ran around howling.

PS - WTT - Copy of Totoro for a preban AR.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.yugiohkingofgames.com/images/home/yugioh_bottom.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't get me wrong. I am all about imagination, creative play. I still have all my AD&D books on the shelf from Jr. High. I am all about teaching capitalism too. Recess playground trades were the foundation of my own business successes.

I guess deep down, I am jealous that I haven't come up with my own version yet. [:D] 50 cards for $10 a pack?

Maybe we could create the 2nd Amendment card game. Assault rifle guys against the bolt guns. VPC vs. SAF... damn... I got another "Soccer Mom" card in this deck... I've already got 8 of them....

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I overheard some 10 or 11 year old boys chiding one of their friends about "How you talked us into wasting all that money on Pokemon cards".  Pretty funny, after the craze ends you realize they're just dumb worthless cards or stuffed animals (Beanie Babies).  At one time, I thought collecting the comic books I read was a good idea because they'd be valuble one day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess deep down, I am jealous that I haven't come up with my own version yet. [:D] 50 cards for $10 a pack?

View Quote

Naked Ar-15 toting bimbo cards?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Or how about enemies of the second amendment playing cards.....Brady, Fineswine, Boxer, Schumer, etc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I can imagine the 2nd amdement CCG game
"I cast arfcom!"
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's the next generation of PokeMon.  Don't try to fight it.
View Quote

Pretty good description of the PokeMon (and now, Yu-gi-oh) phenomenon.. Eeeeeeeeeeevil, I tell ya, eeeeevil: [url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/rushkoff/brand.html[/url]

[peep][sniper2]  [dracula]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
please tell us more about the blonde babe!
ask here is she would pose for a pic for your buddies on ARFCOM with an AR!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or how about enemies of the second amendment playing cards.....Brady, Fineswine, Boxer, Schumer, etc.
View Quote

Already been done.

[b]The Deck of Weasels[/b]

Same people...or, maybe not.

[url]http://www.newsmax.com/weasels/38.shtml[/url]

No doubt there are enough weasels for 2 decks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top