Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 3:27:02 PM EDT
Hey guys. I bought a Dimension Desktop 2350, 2.2 Gig (Pentium), 17" monitor, free CD burner (48/24/48). Ethernet already installed to plug my cable modem right in. Paid 500 bucks after the rebate. I added memory to have 256k and had a 16X DVD ROM installed instead of the standard CD ROM. These upgrades brought the price up tp 600 bucks TOTAL. Free shipping. Should be here in like 2 or 3 days. I'm not too computer saavy but I think I did ok. I think I got robbed last time, so make me feel good here please!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
are you happy with what you spent?if so you did good!
i not a computer person but to me it sound like you got a good deal
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
as a systems geek, I would have to say that you did fine, that's a great price. My only suggestion would be to add more ram, there's no such thing as too much.

[banana]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I added memory to have 256k
View Quote

I hope you meant Megabytes.

Add a single 512mb chip (should be well under $100 buks), it will drastically improve performance (then get some games [points to cd-burner])
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
tagged
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I added memory to have 256k
View Quote

I hope you meant Megabytes.

Yep. I'm that bad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, get more ram.

I have 1GB in my puter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
You've got integrated video and integrated sound.  This is a BIG price saver, but it saps system performance because the graphics package uses the system processor and system memory to drive the sound and graphics.  If you do anything that is graphics intensive, like video gaming and the like, you could have performance issues, slow rendering, etc.

You may want to install a graphics performance accelerator card to the system if you will do a lot of game playing, it provides a dedicated memory array for graphics use, though you are still slaved to the main processor.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
as a systems geek, I would have to say that you did fine, that's a great price. My only suggestion would be to add more ram, there's no such thing as too much.

[banana]
View Quote

Ditto on the ram. If your not into building your own computer Dell is a good way to go. They're some of the most stable and reliable systems out there. Now if only those damn Dell Interns would stroll off a cliff or get arrested for buying pot or just drop dead, the world would be a better place.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats a Dell.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
No tax is always good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#12]
it's probably not too late to cancel your order.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell I paid $1200 for the 20" LCD last year, without the computer [BD]
Now I have the 20" LCD and an 18" LCD side by side so I can do remote admin on up to 5 servers at a time.
I paid $1500 for a stripped, then-top-of-the-line P4 2.8GHz Dimension 8250 last November.  What you have is a good basic business or home office PC, don't expect stellar video performance, as previously mentioned.
My only gripe about Dell is their support.  Just about any time you call their tech support, you get to talk to someone in India that requires you to repeat everything 3 or 4 times, who you'd have an equally difficult time understanding.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#14]
sounds like a good deal, like others have said, if you're gonna be playing games, definately think about upgrading to at least a 64MB vid card, and think about upgrading to 512 RAM
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I brought Dell in as a vendor at the last company I worked for, they had been using Toshibas.  Their gold level support was fantastic and quick.  Prices were pretty good.

However, I have heard complaints by those who bought personal systems, about the support.  They have had a hard time getting anyone who can speak English clearly enough to actually help them.

Looks like you got a pretty good deal.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I buy from their Small Business division, and I've always gotten English-speaking support (even late at night).

The only complaint I have against Dell is that since they have virtually no inventory, every part is perpetually back-ordered. Sometimes systems ship the next day, and sometimes it takes two weeks. They never let you know - the "order status" doesn't seem accurate.

Their systems are very well put together. The fans are atypically quiet, no screws are needed for closing the case or installing cards, and everything on the inside is tucked away nice and neat.

In the future I would recommend against any system with "shared" RAM. As iceman pointed out, what this means is a portion of the system RAM is used by the graphics controller, and you lose a bit of performance since that takes away a couple megs of RAM and saps RAM bandwidth. Spend at least $50 on an NVIDIA or ATI graphics card, you'll appreciate the difference. (if you play games you'll definitely want an ATI/NVIDIA graphics card anyway)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
If you really want to play games, don't go too cheap on the graphics, look at Radeon 9600, or 9700 for starters.

If you aren't a game player you can go cheap.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
[url]www.pricewatch.com[/url]

Click Memory

Congrats on a new puter
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Plenty of Arfcommers work here at Dell.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#22]

How does [b]Dell[/b] compare to [b][green]Gateway[/green][/b] as far as quality, reliability and cost???

I'm in the market for a new 'puter right now and that [url=http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers/specials_3x_special61.htm]Dell 2350[/url] deal looks pretty good, 'cept no add ons allowed apparently.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
just wait till you have a problem and have to have some fricken no english POS from india do the 'smile and nod' to you over the phone

DELL SUCKS!

[img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/simpsons/images/quotes/apu.gif[/img]

"i'm not being undertand what you is say sir"

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How does [b]Dell[/b] compare to [b][green]Gateway[/green][/b] as far as quality, reliability and cost???

I'm in the market for a new 'puter right now and that [url=http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers/specials_3x_special61.htm]Dell 2350[/url] deal looks pretty good, 'cept no add ons allowed apparently.

View Quote

The 2350 is what I have. You CAN add on to it - I added memory and got a DVD rather than a CD Rom. One problem that I have is the monitor. They call the monitor I received a 17" monitor but it's really more like a 15" monitor. Dell's 17" monitor is at least 2" smaller in diameter than the 17" monitor I already have from another company. I sent theirs back and knocked another 100 bucks off my price. My old monitor works great anyway. As far as price goes, Gateway cannot come close to Dell's prices. I went to a Gateway store and told the guy the deal I was about to get from Dell and he came right out and told me he couldn't compete. Go online and you'll see this is really the case. Reliability I can't advise yet as I just got this thing, but I did get a year's at home service along with what I paid. Can't be too bad. I'd say go with the Dell, but either order their 19" monitor (which is really a 17" and costs more) or tell them to keep the monitor and use your old one. HTH.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 2350 is what I have. You CAN add on to it - I added memory and got a DVD rather than a CD Rom. One problem that I have is the monitor. They call the monitor I received a 17" monitor but it's really more like a 15" monitor. Dell's 17" monitor is at least 2" smaller in diameter than the 17" monitor I already have from another company. I sent theirs back and knocked another 100 bucks off my price. My old monitor works great anyway. As far as price goes, Gateway cannot come close to Dell's prices. I went to a Gateway store and told the guy the deal I was about to get from Dell and he came right out and told me he couldn't compete. Go online and you'll see this is really the case. Reliability I can't advise yet as I just got this thing, but I did get a year's at home service along with what I paid. Can't be too bad. I'd say go with the Dell, but either order their 19" monitor (which is really a 17" and costs more) or tell them to keep the monitor and use your old one. HTH.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Overall, DELL are pretty good, but I HATED my laptop (latitude 840).  

IN the space of a little over a year, I had to replace the fan twice, the operating system crashed completey once due to problems with the hard drive, and recently the monitor has stopped working intermittently.

Not a big fan of DELL's customer service - when it crashed completely on a saturday morning, I called DELL tech support.  Even though it was under warranty and we have a huge corporate contract with them (with "special" super-duper tech service supposedly) the assholes at DELL would not even let me talk to a tech support person until I gave them my credit card number and they charged me $30.  Then when I talked to the tech, all he said was "yeah, you'll have to have your tech people reinstall the operating system - talk to them on monday"  Well duh - the whole reason I called DELL was so I would be able to work, and not have to wait until Monday.

My new laptop (just got it this week) has been nothing but trouble - but I'm not sure if it's DELL fault, or the tech people at work who screwed it up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
 I have personally owned 3 Gateways: 400Mhz PII, 800Mhz PIII, and a 2.4Ghz P4. Never had a problem with any of them. Both my sisters bought one a piece ( I believe they were PIII's) never had a problem with them either. My uncle on the other hand bought a Gateway and it was a total POS. I believe Gateway replace everything in that computer minus the video card.

The company I work for replaced all our work stations with Dells about seven months ago. Out of the fifty workstations that were shipped four or five did not function at all out of the box.

As far as price, when I bought my P4 it was $300 less than the identical Dell system. Mainly due to the free 18" LCD upgrade.

and DOW,

[Dell Dude's voice on] Dude, you need more RAM![Dell Dude's voice off]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Dell's are great as long as they work. Tech support blows, but the prices can not be beat.

I tried to get my laptop sent to me without an operating system, cause I am a linux/solaris kinda guy and they flat out refused.

Still waiting for the next kernel to come out so that my battery monitor would work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top