Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 10:32:59 AM EDT
I've noticed when you crack open an unused ammo can, it has a nice suctioning seal on the lid.  After you've filled the thing up with whatever you want to store in it, is there any way to get such a tight seal back on the lid, or is that just a one-time deal?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
More than likely what you're feeling is the pliable seal peeling away from the paint on the lip of the can. The cans are probably closed while the paint is not fully cured.

If the seal is still soft and uncracked, you should get an airtight seal when closed again. You don't really want a "vacuum" seal anyway, since if the seal is ever compromised, the can will suck moist air, or perhaps even moisture, in.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Once ammo cans are filled, boil them 45 minutes to 1 hour in a large pot with water at least half way up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Once ammo cans are filled, boil them 45 minutes to 1 hour in a large pot with water at least half way up.
View Quote

??????????
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It's like canning.  It heats everything up and the internal pressure is enough that it drives air past the seal.  When things cool down that creates a vacumn that is enough to seal the can (hopefully) but not enough to pull air and moisture past the seal.  

verges on the edge of overkill, but   (Can't comment on the heating of the ammo though)
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand the process. It is the ammo heating that concerns me!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, it looks like one of us has to go back to sarcasm school! (It's probably me, it's always me.)
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I throw a sock filled w/the silica kitty litter into the can w/the ammo and use silicone chaulking to create a new seal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Naysayers be damned, welding the lid shut is the ultimate in preservation techniques.

cynic
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If You use/have a MIG or TIG welder, just shoot some of the gas into the can before You close the lid (Also works great with paint/varnish).

or You might try a >Small< piece of dry ice. I'd let it sit with the lid cracked untill it was almost all gone. CO2 is heavier(sp?) than air, so it will stay in the can even with the lid open,

Tall Shadow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top