Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 9:42:17 AM EDT
This article was in today's edition of the New York Post. Will they ever get it straight with hollow point bullets????????

RAP BIG ARRESTED AT NEWARK

By JAMIE SCHRAM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MASTER P
Gun legal, bullets not.  
 Email  Archives
Print  Reprint

June 5, 2003 -- Rap entrepreneur Master P has been busted at Newark Airport with six hollow-point bullets, the deadly and illegal ammo known on the streets as "cop-killers."
The Louisiana-based hip-hop star and record executive, 36, whose real name is Percy Miller, was due to board an America West flight to Los Angeles late Tuesday when he was stopped by Transport Security Administration agents.

Law-enforcement sources said the "gangsta rapper" told guards he was checking a small case which held a licensed, unloaded handgun. Officials found the six bullets in a separate magazine.

Possession of the deadly ammo is a third-degree felony in New Jersey - with probation for conviction on a first offense and up to 18 months in prison for a subsequent conviction.

The bust came three months after an aspiring rap producer was sentenced to a year in jail for stalking the platinum-selling Miller.

Antwan Baker, 32, was ordered to stay away from the record mogul for the next 10 years after first accosting him at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

Sources said yesterday they believed that Miller had bought the gun in Louisiana and that it was properly registered.

Port Authority cops questioned the rapper, then arrested him for having the bullets. He was taken to Union County Jail in Elizabeth, issued a summons and released.

The controversial bullets, also known as "dum-dums," are designed to mushroom on impact and to cause a maximum of serious physical injury and pain to the target.

The bullets also are outlawed in New York and their use is prohibited in warfare by international treaties.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]

The controversial [s]bullets[/s] [red]reporters[/red], also known as [red]"dumb-dumbs,"[/red] are designed to [s]mushroom[/s] [red]lie in[/red] [s]on impact[/s] [red]an artical[/red] to cause a maximum of serious physical injury and pain to the [s]target[/s] [red]Constitution[/red].

The [s]bullets[/s] [red]reporters[/red] also are [s]outlawed[/s] [red]welcomed[/red] in New York and their use is [s]prohibited[/s] [red]encouraged[/red] in warfare by international treaties.

View Quote

LOOK MOM!! I'M A REPORTER FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The bullets also are outlawed in New York and their use is prohibited in warfare by international treaties.
View Quote

I guess it wouldn't matter to the author that police use them. (even though they are prohibited in warfare)

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hollow points are illegal in NJ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

As I understand, yes. Unless you are The Sherriff of Nottingh....er LEO
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Hollowpoints are NOT illegal in NJ.  I've read the law.  You must have a lawful use for them.  You may not hunt with them, but they are 100% legal to use for target and paper shooting.  I've bought hollowpoints at my local sporting goods store... hundreds of .22s, and about 100 .223s

They are perfectly legal in NJ... I sadly think the lawyer and the rapper didn't know their rights, but it CLEARLY states in nj that they are legal as long as you have a lawful purpose (which I do, I target shoot in the back yard all the time!)

Sports Autority sells...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
NJ is so F'd up:

(2) Nothing is subSection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

You can buy them, own them, trasport them, but not POSSESS them!  WTF?!?!??

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
un fucking believable. a rap star who legally transports his gun (instead of waving it from his escalade and firing shots into a crowd) is written up to be a lunatic on the loose when the real lunatic is the one stalking him FORCING him to have a gun for protection!!!

and who the fuck in the last 50 years has called a hollowpoint a dum-dum. get fucking real.

piece of shit story, pice of shit reporter!
the only thing surprising is the part about a rapper legally using his gun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#8]
[size=5]Fuck New Jersey.[/size=5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree 100%
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
un fucking believable. a rap star who legally transports his gun
View Quote

NO shit, And he even had them in a Magazine, and not a clip!![beathorse]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

and who the fuck in the last 50 years has called a hollowpoint a dum-dum. get fucking real.
View Quote

The term is used all the time in places where idiots and ignoramuses are given free reign.  Like the New Jersey legislature and courts in California, New Jersey, Ohio, Texas, Indiana, New York, Illinois, Arkansas, Montana, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming.  For starters.

But my favorite is when a court will say in one case that the defendant's conduct was particularly egregious because he used evil hollow point or "dum dum" bullets, and then say in another case that the bad guy was really bad because he used the dreaded MILITARY-STYLE FULL METAL JACKET ammo.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK here it is in a nut shell ,yopu can travel with thenm on the way to the range or to or from a store,or coming from the UPS counter or post office or you can [b]travel out of state with them in your luggage[/b]
This guy has this beat in a heart beat if he gets a lawyer who knows jersey law.
My friend is a cop in NJ and he was telling me one night he just busted a guy for having hollow points in his gun case on the way to the range,I showed him the law and they got the guy out of jail before they took him to the county lock up.  
Most people misinterpret the dumbass laws here in the people's republic of new jersey.

It is unlawful to knowingly have in one's possession ''any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet.[red] Nothing in this prohibition shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, or while engaged in activities covered by paragraphs 3, 4, and 5 above under the Exceptions[/red]

[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=NJ[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The controversial bullets, also known as "dum-dums," are designed to mushroom on impact and to cause a maximum of serious physical injury and pain to the target.
View Quote

[Preach to chior]
I am sure ANY bullet would cause pain.
They mushroom in order to transfer momentum laterally (into the target) and STOP the threat.  If this didn't happen, then the bullet would most likely over-penetrate and would only stop the threat by piercing a critical organ.
[/Preach to chior]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch this ,I bet none of us from New Jersey will try and defend this bastion of civil liberty.
(including me!)
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Im on that bandwagon!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok so when did all hollowpoints become "cop killer" bullets? I thought "cop killers" were the handgun rounds designed to beat vests. like the FN five7. I mean it's like ok the police can use them because they work really well in stopping an attacker BUT it's not ok for the people to use them because they cause to much damage. WTF
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#17]
What caliber was the handgun?  Aren't all jersey cops and troopers wearing soft body armor?  Unless the gun being carried by Percy Miller was chambered for a centerfire rifle round, like an OA93 or OA96, then the soft body armor required by the department should stop either a FMJ or HP in any of the other calibers.

They specifically did NOT say AP so I'm saying this is hyped up BULLSHIT.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Count me in.

BTW I never buy hollow points anyway (FMJ is the only way to go). But if they ever want to outlaw them Im gonna buy as many as possible.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#20]
ALso known as flying buzzsaws.  Wait, that was the Winchester Black Talons.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Count me in.

BTW I never buy hollow points anyway (FMJ is the only way to go). But if they ever want to outlaw them Im gonna buy as many as possible.
View Quote

ZRH
No offense here is meant I assure you but htis is the pot caling the kettle black, your fucked up state sen. are about to ban 50 BMG's with no granfather clause built in,what do you say now?

[size=5]Fuck New York too![/size=5]

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#22]
So which is it, are cop killer bullets APs or JHPs?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So which is it, are cop killer bullets APs or JHPs?
View Quote

Quite honestly [red][b]any[/b][/red] bullet is a "cop killer"; with proper placement. Soooooo, we should outlaw all the bullets while leaving all the guns legal.  At that point, we should have no cop killing, right boys and girls?

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought the "Cop Killer Bullets" were teflon coated man stoppers used in the box office hit "Lethal Weapon III"? [rolleyes] Ahhhh hahaha......
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, but will they shoot through telephone poles?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I thought the "Cop Killer Bullets" were teflon coated man stoppers used in the box office hit "Lethal Weapon III"? [rolleyes] Ahhhh hahaha......
View Quote

No, those were caseless, very pointy, AP rounds.  Remember, they can shoot through a bulldozer front scoop
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Count me in.

View Quote

ZRH
No offense here is meant I assure you but htis is the pot caling the kettle black, your fucked up state sen. are about to ban 50 BMG's with no granfather clause built in,what do you say now?

[size=5]Fuck New York too![/size=5]

View Quote

Fuck NY too. Im from Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAANkVEBSlQZfQAMz6fTbIpSIK9XolsVTOmidx0727tpQWsyeZcnzVmLpLXyas1gpFL!IjJMoLPOkRkC0zvBrRNNOMWClpXjf06PliLrE/FNJ.jpg?dc=4675424928603752970[/img]

I'm in!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[url]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAANkVEBSlQZfQAMz6fTbIpSIK9XolsVTOmidx0727tpQWsyeZcnzVmLpLXyas1gpFL!IjJMoLPOkRkC0zvBrRNNOMWClpXjf06PliLrE/FNJ.jpg?dc=4675424928603752970[/url]

I'm in!
View Quote

Fuck "JOIZEE" I'm in too!
Where else can you go to the store to get a can of "earl" for your uncle "Oil"?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[url]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAANkVEBSlQZfQAMz6fTbIpSIK9XolsVTOmidx0727tpQWsyeZcnzVmLpLXyas1gpFL!IjJMoLPOkRkC0zvBrRNNOMWClpXjf06PliLrE/FNJ.jpg?dc=4675424928603752970[/url]

I'm in!
View Quote

Rigth Click -> Set as Background
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, how many of you people have actually written to the paper and author to chew them out?  Or do you just prefer to complain about things but do nothing to correct them?

Link to the article: [url]http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/496.htm[/url]

Link to contact page: [url]http://www.nypost.com/contact/contactus.htm[/url]

Online Editorial Assistant Managing Editor: [email protected]

Now do something about the wrong information but politely point out their errors and use spell check.  Calling someone names doesn't help the image of gun owners.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I noticed that too... but, let's not let the reporter off the hook so easily. Miller had [b]six[/b] bullets. Makes me think that he had a revolver and not an SA. Given the accuracy of the rest of the article, it wouldn't surprise
me if it was actually a speed-loader and not a mag (or clip, or whatever they want to call it).
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#35]
shotar allegedly said: "If he did it and it was in fact illegal then he gets what he deserves."

Just curious...assuming it was illegal (for the sake of argument only), what exactly do you think he deserves?

cynic
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a set of 12 cop-killing steak knives in my kitchen.  Are they illegal in Jersey? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I noticed that too... but, let's not let the reporter off the hook so easily. Miller had [b]six[/b] bullets. Makes me think that he had a revolver and not an SA. Given the accuracy of the rest of the article, it wouldn't surprise
me if it was actually a speed-loader and not a mag (or clip, or whatever they want to call it).
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. I was trying to think of a pistol in common caliber that had six round mags, and the only thing that came close was 7 rounds (a 1911). I figure it was probably a speedloader.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's what I was thinking. I was trying to think of a pistol in common caliber that had six round mags, and the only thing that came close was 7 rounds (a 1911). I figure it was probably a speedloader.
View Quote

Kahr P40 has a six round magazine.

Edited to say: I always laugh at the beating the horse anim!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then again, if it was a speedloader they probably would have called it a 'rotary-drum magazine'. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree 100%
View Quote

You are right, I don't like people from New Jersey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top