Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 4:05:47 AM EDT
Dear Mr. Entropy:

Thank you for contacting me concerning the important issue of gun ownership and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you.

I believe the best approach to this important issue is one which strikes a balance between two important principles:  protecting the legitimate rights of law-abiding gun owners and keeping guns out of the hands of violent criminals and children.

As you know, our state has a rich tradition of hunting and sporting uses of guns. I value this part of our state's history, and I believe that the Second Amendment gives law-abiding citizens the right to own a gun. I also believe that there are a few common-sense measures that can improve the safety of firearms and help protect all of us from weapons in the hands of violent criminals.

I understand your view about the assault weapons ban. While I am always open to suggestions for reform, it is my belief that the law already gives hunters and sportsmen a great deal of flexibility to choose the right weapons. Although you and I may disagree about this, please be assured that I will keep you thoughts in mind as the Senate considers this matter.

I will continue to support measures that strike this important balance, and I appreciate hearing from you about this issue. Please feel free to keep in touch

Yours sincerely,

John Edwards
United States Senate
View Quote

What an idiot.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It's so how not to address an issue, and sit on a fence and not fall off and make a real stand thing.

What an idiot is right.  He does come of as a wishy washy 'tard.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Typical

Just "words" on paper that mean "0".

But that's ok, with a hard nosed conservative senator like Liz Dole to "balance" him out North Carolina is in good shape. [:E]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Diplomacy is telling somebody to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

I think he just told you to take a hike.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm.. something seems strange to me, if the constitution only protects hunting and sporting guns how can the government own them?  Isnt the government "we the people".

Someone should write him and ask his view on this quote by Thomas Jefferson:
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

So would he re-ply saying well your not free.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[red]'tard[/red]

Bilster
View Quote

well said
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Not if she votes the way her husband did on guns. And to my knowledge Edwards just wants to be Clinton II the sequal "Let's get some Pink back in Pinko! Hey baby, want an internship?" Don't look for any help from NC in the Senate on gun issues fella's, we pretty much screwed the pooch on that one way back in the primaries.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Everything mentioned in the letter supports the president's view on firearms ownership and you people should too if you really are americans.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If given the choice of voting for John Edwards, or falling into an Eastern North Carolina hog farm waste treatment pool.....I'll take the latter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]
[:)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...law already gives hunters and sportsmen a great deal of flexibility...
View Quote

I guess IDPA and USPSA aren't legitimate sporting associations?  Three-gun matches and carbine competitors aren't sportsmen.  Damn, I guess all that money the big companies spend to sponsor team shooters just goes to propogate another fine non-sport like pro wrestling.

I normally don't get my panties in a twist over politicians, but it's this simplistic thinking that really makes me think.

As for Imbroglio suggesting that I have to support the president's views:  No, I don't.  I can choose not to vote for him.  Seeing as how my state generally runs Democrat anyway, the end result of voting/not voting for Bush is the same.  However, to me, it's the symbolic non-vote for not following through on previous commitments that matters.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing like a good stroke job via US Mail!!!................do you feel dirty yet?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]
The words "common sense measures" always scare me when used by left leaning individuals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top