Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 6:46:04 PM EDT
Well we had some bad storms blow through here about a month ago. Hard winds and some serious hail. Many houses in the area were damaged. Quite a few just 3 miles from here.

Anyway, I was pretty sure my house had escaped damage. No broken windows, and no trees downed on house or shop.

But we obviously got alot of bad hail as our plants and bushes were beat up really bad.

Well I got up on our roof to clean the gutters out a few days back, and noticed that our shingles looked pretty rough. And I had just been up there a few months ago and they looked fine.

So I'm wondering if I should turn this in as a claim on our home insurance.

We've been carrying this insurance for about a year and a half, and am worried that by turning in this claim it will raise my rate just like car insurance.

But at the same time, I'd hate to end up with more damage by not turning it in.

What should I do? And does home insurance raise rates like car insurance does with claims?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Insurance companies are crooks and the scum of the earth. So yeah probably they'd raise your rates but I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
How OLD are the shingles? Most roofs last for 20 years ZERO days. If it is about 18 years old, I'd just suck it up and redo my roof.

If you had it reshingled  recently, turn it in. No sense in getting docked for it again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
When there is a major set of claims, the insurance company will raise the rates of EVERYONE in the area.  So either way you are going to have higher premiums.
Make a claim now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
use your best judgement
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't afford to pay it out of pocket, I'd turn it in.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top