Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 6:24:48 PM EDT
I went to shoot today at the local outdoor range and as I walked in I read where the NRA has refused to help the range in a legal battle againt the city, which is trying to shut it down.  

I was shocked to hear that.  It makes me think why am I a member of the NRA and why would I continue to support them when they won't support the local range in the fight to survive.

What do ya'll think?

srt205
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Believe it.

Read my posts in this thread.  The NRA is supporting this guy...his opponent is a very pro-gun candidate running against him in the primary.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=189723&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you should call the NRA and ask what is going on before you make any decisions.  It could be the range told the NRA to go screw itself every time they needed help but now when they need help they get all pissy because they get the same treatment.

For the most part the NRA only helps those who help them.  They won't bend over for gun owners who do not cooperate with them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The NRA is supporting the Pro Gun guy or the Anti gun guy??  I'm still unclear.

TS
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The NRA is supporting the Pro Gun guy or the Anti gun guy??  I'm still unclear.

TS
View Quote

The anti-gun guy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm betting you're talking about Collin County Gun Range.

The gist of it is that the gun range was outside the city limits and was annexed. Now the city has put a bunch of restrictions on the range including no more fullauto. What it boils down to is that the city wants to develop the land around the range and they can't do it with the range there. From the legal side of it, it is pretty much a losing battle because the range just doesn't have enough money to fight it and even then it's no sure thing. The NRA has basically decided not to join the fight.

It's a big messed up situation that has been going on for several years now. The range is still there, but it's not near as much fun as it used to be because now all of the shooting is ruled to death. No rapid fire, shooting from bench only, bla, bla, bla. It really sucks because I used to really like shooting there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Ponyboy,

You would be correct.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
The NRA was such a good idea.....what happend?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of people/organizations won't support or join the NRA until they get in trouble and then they want unlimited support. I'm a member of 2 gun clubs and one of them requires NRA membership and the other strongly suggests membership. I think all gun clubs,hunt clubs and organized shooting sports ought to require NRA membership for partipation.A lot of people are just to cheap and lazy to join or keep up their membership. The same thing goes for voting, slow to register to vote and slow to vote, but quick to wine when they don't like what's going on!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Our club is, & has been for 20+ yrs. a 100% NRA organization. Continuous NRA membership is a requirement in our bylaws for all members. We put on NRA High Power matches, supported the Friends of the NRA, sent club teams to Camp Perry, supported an active Junior program. So when the Club was sued by a greedy developer who owned land adjacent to the Club (so he could drive us into a foreclosure sale & buy the club property for a song--by his own admission), did the NRA help us? NOT ONE DAMN BIT!! They basically told us we were on our own, that they didn't have the money or the resources to help every club in trouble, & that they had to pick & choose which clubs they thought could survive & help them only. Of course, they never stopped sending begging letters to all our members for money to fight for "the rights of all gun owners."

We lost from 115 members to less than 40 because of the suit, had to close our rifle range for almost 4 years until we could afford to rebuild it, and had to stop virtually all rifle shooting at the club. We won the suit (as much as you can ever win a suit you have to pay out big bucks to fight), but we had to do it all on our own. No help from the NRA or the state association whatsoever.

For obvious reasons, those of us who stuck with the club & fought for its survival have a lot of bitterness about the lack of support from the NRA. We have had several former members who bailed out when the club was in trouble come slinking back wanting to rejoin now that we are in relatively good financial condition & the rifle range is now ready to reopen. For some reason, all these former members have been blackballed....

I have been a Life Member of the NRA for over 30 years, but I have no faith in their willingness to fight for anyone's survival but their own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top