Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 5:30:40 PM EDT
Michael Durant was at Ft Campbell doing a signing for his book, In the Company of Heroes, today. I took my happy ass right on over there and stood in line for almost two hours for a signature and a handshake. Worth every minute of it too. I'm not saying he is a hero, more of a victim of circumstance, but this is a man who has been there and done that. I've known lots of Night Stalkers and they are an arrogant bunch, but they have every right to be in my book.

Can't wait to get my sweaty hands on the new BHD DVD.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Heroic deeds are often the result of ones actions in difficult situations.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
... kewl
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I consider anyone that willingly puts their life and freedom in danger, to protect the life and freedom of others to be a hero.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
very cool
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome.  I would be humbled an honored to meet him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered his book from Amazon.com and just received it yesterday.  Mark Bowden (author of BHD) wrote an absolutely glowing foreward for him.  I also picked up the Deluxe BHD DVD yesterday too.  Talk about conflicted - how can I watch/read both at once?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I read the book. The main difference I noted was that in the movie (as he was being captured) the skinny hit him with the butt of his rifle and in the book he did not...

Its a good read, to bad he wasnt around when I got my copy, I would have stood in line the two hours myself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read the book. The main difference I noted was that in the movie (as he was being captured) the skinny hit him with the butt of his rifle and in the book he did not...
View Quote

Can't fault the filmakers for the difference. Durant wasn't comfortable revealing the truth about the incident until now. When I read that, it got my blood boiling all over again.
Fucking savages.

I also got the BHD Deluxe DVD Set. I'm about halfway through the 150min "Making of" and I watched the commentary with Bowden and the screenplay writer Ken Nolan. I expected them to be a pretty boring, but I was pleasantly suprised. They did a great job. I hope the other 2 commentaries are just as good.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't fault the filmakers for the difference. Durant wasn't comfortable revealing the truth about the incident until now. When I read that, it got my blood boiling all over again.
Fucking savages.

View Quote

so what actually happened?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've known lots of Night Stalkers and they are an arrogant bunch, but they have every right to be in my book.
View Quote

Me too & I agree.

Quoted:
Can't wait to get my sweaty hands on the new BHD DVD.
View Quote

Picked it up Tuesday.  Was $24.99 at my local Circuit City.

DrMark
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the book...[;)]

Check your PMs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool, he is supposed to be our guest speaker at the Aviation Brigade Dining In this Dec. Looking ofrward to it. Last year we had on of the guys who raised the flag on Iwo Jima.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#16]
This guy lives in my town here in Madison, AL.  Word on the street here is that he's a pretty decent guy.  

If I ever get a chance to, I'll be taking my kids to see him and thank him for his service to our country.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok if he didn't get buttstroked (ok maybe that's a bad word usage right there) what DID happen to him?  I'm planning on getting the book but haven't gotten around to it yet.
View Quote

Oh he did get hit in the face with something.  I got the book last friday and I'm almost done with it.  Very good book.

If you want to know what he really got hit with then you better get the book cause we sure aren't going to spoil it.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#18]
He was here at Hurlburt Field last week too, I had him sign two copies of his book (1 was a gift) and my hardcover copy of BHD on the first page of the NSDQ chapter. I read his in a day and a half and I'd say it was every bit as well written as BHD and just as informitive. I thought he seemed really nice as well. Definatly an honor.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Regarding the 3 disc set, I realy enjoyed the narrative of some of the operators involved to depict their recollection of the events while the movie is playing on disc one. "Well it really happened like this or that was exactly how I recall it." Definately top-shelf stuff.
I guess it goes to show you how the events in the Mog have effected all of us in one way or another as I cannot get enough of this story. Definately some influencial people who are brave and honorable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top