Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 4:32:27 PM EDT
Can someone explain what DOT approval means, and what the consequence is if a veicle is not DOT approved?
Specifically, I have a britisn motorcycle, that has had the shift mechanism retrofitted to shift on the left foot, in order to be allowed for import. the problem is it was designed to shift on the right, and the retrofit shift is real sloppy and shitty. I can purchase the correct shift mechanism (right foot shift, left foot brake) But it is Labeled "not approved by DOT"
Also other little things, like turn signals Taillight and headlight have likewise been modified for import. I'd like to refit the original parts, but again they are not "DOT approved."

Oh and before I get the lecture on the "dangers of reversed brakes and shifters" I've rode/driven British Bikes and cars for a long time, and Left foot shift/right foot brake is backwards to me.
No one else rides my bikes so that's not an issue.
Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
department of transportation?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Who would know; or care?

Umm, unless you have to get vehicle safety checks or some such thing.

Then I suppose you would get a big fine and have to change it all back.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
well I know that much!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who would know; or care?
View Quote

I guess that's my question exactly. If they did know would thay care?
Is it just a manufacture/import thing?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah, if they knew they would care. That is their mission in life.

Kind of like "would the BATF care if you put a preban upper on a postban lower"?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I once actually called the TxDOT and asked them about parts that I made for my car. They said that if I installed a part that I made, and it was something that a reasonable person would not do, then I could be liable if it caused me to get in a wreck. Also, they said state inspection would fail my car for certain things. As far as I know, it is not [i]illegal[/i] to drive a car w/o DOT approval, but it is illegal to manufacture/import. That's just my opinion, based on what I remember. You should not take my word for it, but instead, should call your local DOT or check out their web site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top