Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 4:22:35 PM EDT
One problem with it.  You have to trust some dumbass to perform the test.

[url]http://news.lycos.com/news/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=739707[/url]

Crime Lab Workers Accused of Wrongdoing

Wednesday, June 04, 2003 6:52 p.m. ET
HOUSTON (AP) -- Houston police said Wednesday they have found evidence of wrongdoing by nine workers in the department's crime lab, which has come under scrutiny since an audit revealed problems with its DNA testing.

Police, who are conducting an internal investigation of the lab, did not release the employees' names or say what they are accused of.

"Somebody has brought forth information pointing out wrongdoing," department spokesman Robert Hurst said. "Those allegations have been sustained. ... The investigation is not complete."

The department is trying to determine what kind of disciplinary action to take, ranging from administrative action to criminal charges, Hurst said.

An audit on the DNA lab conducted in December found deficiencies including a lack of training for analysts and possible exposure of DNA samples to contaminants. The lab's DNA work was suspended.

Since then, authorities have been reviewing cases in which DNA analysis was done by crime lab workers; 200 cases have been sent for retesting. The first test returned by a private lab led to the release of Josiah Sutton, who had been sentenced to 25 years in prison for rape in 1999.

In several other cases, retesting has confirmed the crime lab's results.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the work of some defense attorney trying to get a convicted child molester off on a technicality. [rolleyes]

I'll bet ya.

No, I did not read the link.

I'll bet it started in a defense attorneys office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top