Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 7:29:40 AM EDT
I'm willing to bet this will be my first locked topic.

News story is [url=www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46220-2003May27.html]here[/url]
The e-mail and Weblog buzz are conflicted. The subject is race, so people are torn. They forward the link, to rent-a-negro.com, without quite knowing what they think of the site. Is it a joke? Why is this funny?

"I don't know if it's genius or heinous," says Vincent Thomas, 24, a project coordinator for American Forest and Paper Association here.

The site offers "the chance to promote your connection with a creative, articulate, friendly, attractive and pleasing African American person," available, for rent, to add flavor to your function.

"Where do you find the people to diversify your life?" the site asks. "What if you don't know any black people? You want to appear up-to-date, but just don't have the human resources."

Thomas thought it was a joke, "but I kept on going through the site and saw it was a real live thing. Even right now I'm still trying to gather my thoughts and come forth with an official stance." Because he has been in those situations, he says. He's been at functions with folks who look to him "for comic relief or to add some type of personality." And maybe black folks should stop giving it away for free.

When a reporter finally tells him the Web site is a satirical piece of performance art by damali ayo, 31, a Portland, Ore.-based artist and personal growth consultant, he is relieved -- but, of course, still conflicted.

Ayo says she got the idea for the piece after years of being in all-white settings, fielding questions from people wanting to touch her hair, and playing the role of cultural ambassador.

"I feel like people are saying, 'You need to serve my ignorance by teaching me,' " she explained in a telephone interview. "I've said to certain people, 'I don't feel like talking about that now,' but there is really an urgency and an insistence. It's an urgency and an insistence with which we speak to servants or people who are working for us."

She adds: "I understand the white environment because I was forced to learn it. White people are not forced in any capacity to learn about other cultures. I'm not mad about it, but I would like more equity."
View Quote

The web site is [url=www.rent-a-negro.com/index.htm]www.rent-a-negro.com[/url]

READ THE FAQ!

What do you think?  I think it's funny as hell, myself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey has anyone seen my ten foot pole?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have seen that site.

And on that note. IBTL! [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I first was posted on Full-Auto a few days ago.

It's actually funny from the black perspective. It makes fun of apologist whites.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
IBTL!

Oh yea,

[url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She adds: "I understand the white environment because I was forced to learn it. White people are not forced in any capacity to learn about other cultures. I'm not mad about it, but I would like more equity."
View Quote

View Quote

So she's mad that people want to learn about her culture? She thinks that she should be paid for such a service? So it's come to this. People complain about others wanting to learn and share their culture. Pathetic. (Just my opinion, and, oh yeah, IBTL! [bounce])
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#6]
IBTL
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
From Mad magazine sometime between '70 and '73...

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/64800/hearst.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Why the IBTL's? I think I'll satr both Rent-A-Redneck and Rent-A-Honkey small businesses. There's someone out there who will pay for those services.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

So she's mad that people want to learn about her culture? She thinks that she should be paid for such a service? So it's come to this. People complain about others wanting to learn and share their culture. Pathetic. (Just my opinion, and, oh yeah, IBTL! [bounce])
View Quote

A black co-worker explained to me that this is a heavily sarcastic jab at apologist whites who support the concept of 'equity' through cultural assimilation. He felt that the author of the site was extremely racist against whites to the point of returning to separatism.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Dare I say "Group Buy"? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#11]
NOW I say, IBTL.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in for 3 ... IM sent

btw, GP ... nice use of IBTL to get a cheap plug in for the business [;)]

IBTL!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, now I have to it twice in one thread. IBTL!
[lol]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I can rent one for a lot less than $200 an hour.

Ripoff
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#15]
My rental's on the way!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can rent one for a lot less than $200 an hour.

Ripoff
View Quote
You were thinking, perhaps, of something like this?
[img]http://uncultured.spydar.com/images/article_type_icons/hughdivine.jpg[/img][nono]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#17]
IBTL !
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#18]
lol, I think it's funny.

Anyone see the ned "Rainbow band-aid" commecial that is done by that black commedian? I laughed my ass off at that, lol!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Because of the Irrevocable impending lock I'll add this:

Now you can have your very own "Jolly N*gger" Bank!

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3226143667&category=885[/url]

[img]http://www.fyi.net/~ccable/IMG_2905.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.fyi.net/~ccable/IMG_2907.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#20]
[size=6][red]IBTL (In Befo' the Lock!!!)[/size=6][/red]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13236[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#21]
[shock]

[slap]

[torch]

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#22]
anybody remember [url]http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/[/url]?  it seems to go along quite well with this one!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Holy shit [lol]

IBTL
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
lol, I think it's funny.

Anyone see the ned "Rainbow band-aid" commecial that is done by that black commedian? I laughed my ass off at that, lol!
View Quote

I laughed my ass off at that one!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You were thinking, perhaps, of something like this?
View Quote

I never think of stuff like that!

You really shouldn't start drinking before noon Baker.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#26]
i am appalled.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Sneaking IBTL.  A bank?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By [red]racebaiter:[/red]
i am appalled.
View Quote
[rofl]

You're going to get me FIRED!

Goddamnit!  I can't stop laughing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I didn't create it... honest....

[url]http://www.petitiononline.com/ebaynigg/petition.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#30]
IBTL
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#31]
God, all you people trying to up your post count, it's sad, just sad.
IBTL
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top