Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 7:01:07 AM EDT
Soon, I will be residing my house.  The house is a hardboard sided 1700 sq ft Colonial (2 story), typical of the East Coast.  The hardboard is in pretty bad shape, and so is some of the trim.  I suspect it's just as efficient to strip it all off and start over as it would be to replace the bad ones and overlay the new siding (if vynl).  Besides, if they do this, they can Tyvek wrap the thing.

Any idea what this would cost me?  I can't tackle this myself, so a contractor is needed.  I'm looking at either seamless Vynl or cement hardboard (like Hardi).  A ball park range is really what I need, as I know everything is a case by case issue.  The house is just about as average as a house can get for estimation purposes.

(Oh yeah, I'm in Central VA where the cost of living is not too bad)

Any input or horror stories are welcome...

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Too many variables and unknowns to try to give even a ballpark figure for something like that.
Total sq ft
Ln ft of:
   Soffit
   Fascia
# of doors and windows
etc.

I could throw a number out there but it may or may not even be in the ballpark.

The are a shitload of people out there doing siding. Some run respectable, legitimate businesses. But many are just trying to make a buck any way they can and give contractors in general, a bad name. Just be sure you go with a licensed and insured contractor who will provide you with a warranty on their work. Ask for their license number and a certificate of insurance. Get [b]everything[/b] in writing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Too many variables and unknowns to try to give even a ballpark figure for something like that.
View Quote

Yeah, I know.  I was hoping that someone with a similar sounding house had something similar done in the past couple of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top