Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 11:21:20 PM EDT
Just charged my battery, hooked it up and when I press the start button the starter solenoid (sp?) just clicks. The head light and neutral lights where on bright. How do I know if its my battery or starter solenoid? Have the battery or solenoid tested? This is a problem because both of the Honda dealers within 40 miles of me have already knowningly rippped me off when dealing with this same bike, and I don't trust a damn word they say. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
doesn't sound like the battery, but just to be sure try giving her a jump start.  had the same problem with my goldwing recently.  The battery was so shot, I could not get up enough of a charge to kick the sucker over.  New battery, problem solved.  Course, my headlight wouldn't get that bright.

ever try to kick start 1100cc?

not a good plan.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This also happens to be a Goldwing.

I believe its the battery myself, the same thing happens on my 4-wheeler when the battery goes bad, all the lights come on, but the solenoid just clicks, a new battery has been the answer everytime.

My [s]moron[/s] shade tree mechanic wannabe buddy (who just picked up his Soft Tail Duece today) seems to think its the solenoid and now hes got me wondering.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Shit, gawd forbid anyone use a kickstarter anymore?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd suggest making extra sure the terminals and posts are clean and tight. Sometimes a poor connection will do this.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a car battery exhibit the same symptoms yours does.  The lights and electric would come on but the car wouldn't crank.  The reason was that the battery had a bad cell in it.  Had enogh juice to run the lights and dash lights but not enough to turn over the starter.  

Have the battery checked to make sure each of the six cells is putting out the standard 2.5 (± 0.5) volts.  Also mentioned was a good idea to check the cleanliness and security of your battery terminals and the wires running off your battery at the other ends.  I had a Bronco II once that used to just die because of a loose battery cable connection on the starter.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use a kick starter every day on my XL350R, I have nothing against kick starters.  But have YOU ever tried kicking a 1100 goldwing WITHOUT compresion release, with that F@#$ED UP stick they call an emergency kick starter?

I'd give you a bran spanking new hbar if you could do it in first 2 tries.

Give 20 bucks if you could do it at all.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure the battery terminal are clean and tight, and make sure there is water (and acid) in each cell. Hold the battery up to a light to check fluid levels. They often burn off water, specially if you leave it on a trickle charger.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I had this problem with my Aprilia.  It was a blown voltage regulator.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#9]
"just charged my battery."

Sounds to me like someone's taking his bike out of winter storage and didn't have a float charger on it.
In the autoparts stores I've worked at, springtime was a mad rush for new motorcycle batteries.  Yet these guys wouldn't look at the float chargers.

Test your battery.  Take a volt reading off each cell, especially the one that is always low on water.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't catch how old the battery is.  It could be worthwhile to invest in a new one if the above suggestions about cleaning & tightening the terminals don't work.  It would be cheaper than letting the shops rip you off again.  Speaking of that, mine is sealed and about 4 1/2 years old...  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I would probably bypass the starter solonoid with a screwdriver or other insulated piece of metal. (I think I've actually done it with uninsulated metal, but you may not feel comfortable doing that.) YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#12]
You mean you have a Honda that doesn't run?  I thought those things could sit rusting on someone's back porch for a decade and still turn right over. hmmmm
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on the terminal cleaning. Also clean the contacts at the solenoid. THEN buy a battery if the above doesn't clear up the problem.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]
How old IS the battery? You can have 12 volts battery voltage but not enough amperage to operate the starter. With a new battery you have the same symptoms, I'd be looking at the starter relay, battery connections(especially the GROUNDS), or starter solenoid. It could be the start switch, or run/off switch also. Hope this helps you.
AB
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You mean you have a Honda that doesn't run?  I thought those things could sit rusting on someone's back porch for a decade and still turn right over. hmmmm
View Quote

Acutually, this one was drove once in 1982 and parked. It was given to me with 81 miles on it, I cleaned the carbs out, re-sealed the gas tank, changed the fluids, the only thing bad was the accelerater pump in the carbs, bought a new one for 5 bucks and it was good to go. One of the Honda shops here in NW IN quoted me &2,500 in parts plus labor to get it going, then they offered to buy it for $500. I gave them the big FU, took it home and did all the shit myself.

The battery was 4 years old, it sat in the garage through summers and winters so its probably bad. I got a new on the charger right now, i'm going to give it a try in about half hour.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
[u]Shit, gawd forbid anyone use a kickstarter anymore?[/u]

Everytime I start her! (of course she's an old enfield- it's the only way to start her)

[u]The battery was 4 years old, it sat in the garage through summers and winters so its probably bad. I got a new on the charger right now, i'm going to give it a try in about half hour. [/u]

I'd say it's a good bet it's shot.
Here's a stupid question: it's not in gear is it? That could keep the starter from turning?
You could try to push start it, but it can be quite dangerous if you aren't careful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't that an AK?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But have YOU ever tried kicking a 1100 goldwing WITHOUT compresion release, with that F@#$ED UP stick they call an emergency kick starter?
View Quote

Seems like I see a lot of skinny Harley riders kick starting their bikes. Compression can't be that much different, is it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#19]
One way to test to see if it't the battery, is to turn the lights on and then give it a crank.

If the lights dim significantly or go out why cranking, it's most likely the battery. It has enough energy for the lights but not the starter.

If on the other hand, the lights don't dim when you hit the starter, you probably have a bad starter solenoid, starter or more likely a bad connection on the starter side of the solenoid.

Just my two cents....
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Is the bike on its kickstand? Goldwings have a saftey switch that doesn't let them start when the kickstand is down. I know its a no-brainer, but I've seen lots of folks forget.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#21]
After replacing the battery, then starter relay, and no improvement, found it was a dirty starter switch/button.

The first two were probably fine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Push start it
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I use a kick starter every day on my XL350R, I have nothing against kick starters.  But have YOU ever tried kicking a 1100 goldwing WITHOUT compresion release, with that F@#$ED UP stick they call an emergency kick starter?

I'd give you a bran spanking new hbar if you could do it in first 2 tries.

Give 20 bucks if you could do it at all.
View Quote

Hell, bring it over. When I wrenched for a living, I wasn't sometimes called "the foot" for nothing...

[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top