Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2001 3:06:47 PM EDT
So I'm at a show today.  This same place I have been picking up Thermold 30s for the past couple months has a bin full today.  New $18.  I decide I'll walk around the show before I buy a couple more mags that way I don't have to carry them around for the next two hours.  

Well I go back 1-1/2 later ever one of those mags was gone.  Probably had 50 mags in the bin.  I ask the guy, WOW you have a run on Thermolds and do you have anymore.  Guy says that guy right there bought everyone we had.  This guy who bougth them was a dealer at another table.  Asshole bought the $18. mags because I guess he got tired of not selling any at $25+

Oh well, screw him.  I got my order in to Ronin for 5 @ 15.ea.  Maybe I should buy 100 and take them to the next show and sell them for $18. [:(!]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
a friend of mine put his collection in at a show he said before the doors open the dealers bought about half of his collection and was selling them at a markup
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
gunshow rule #2 c rule number 1
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If the dumb phuck was'nt trying to bend people over he could make a living.

If a guy here can sell Thermolds at $15. and a dealer at a show can sell them for $18. then we all know the guy selling for $25. is getting one over on somebody who does'nt know any better.

There will be other deals.  Like the NIW USGI that were for sale on the equipment exchange for $19.95.  Cheapest I ever bought them.  I've got 35 30rd mags I can afford to wait for a decent deal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't bought any mags in years, but the was I deal with this problem is if there's something I don't want to carry around, I make a deal with the guys at the table.  

If they won't hold it for me at the same price, they will usually let you pay for it and hold it at the table for you.  

If it's a lot of money you or they're exceptionally busy (some ammo dealers, for example) you can ask for a receipt or have them put a note on it, but I haven't been screwed on this once.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Who bought the mags for $18.00?

Who didn't?

Who feels like a dumbphuck.... [;)]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Cible, I just bought some for $15. so pooopooo to you.  A guy going around buying out his competitions product cause he ain't selling any is a butthole IMO.

Paul, the reason I did'nt see the $17. mags is because I just got my first AR a couple months ago.  I was buying mags before I had the gun but only about a month or so prior.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a dealer and it always pains me to see folks who think Economics 101 gets checked in at the front door.

Whether it's another dealer or a civilian, you're always worrying what price to buy/sell an item, whether you'll get stuck with it, and whether or not it was a good/great deal.

If some dealer is selling items for a greater price than the others, he will either get stuck with an inventory that he has to insure and haul around with him, or he will reduce his price to match the market.

Comparison shopping it's called. 'Yo momma did it, 'yo wife/girlfriend does it, and you should do it.  All the dealers do it. Why get left out?

Eric The FFL Hun

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Was this at the dayton show?  I was there and picked up one new thermold for $18, probably from the same guy.  I bought oly one because I had never used them before, and wanted to try them.  I used it saturday afternoon, and now want more.  Could you direct me to your source selling them @$15? I promise not to buy up his whole inventory.
thanks,
Patrick
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey Cible, I just bought some for $15. so pooopooo to you.  
View Quote

pooopooo?

PoooPooo!?

POOOPOOO!!?!  Why you I ouhgtta....

A guy going around buying out his competitions product cause he ain't selling any is a butthole IMO.
View Quote

Maybe I missed your point.  I thought that you were mad because the other guy bought them before you could, not because you thought he did so just to sell his instead.  I can see where that would seem pretty shitty, but supply and demand still accounts for that behavior assuming the guy acts rationally.  Due to the low transaction costs, I suspect he did, but it still sucks.

pooopooo indeed!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was this at the dayton show?  I was there and picked up one new thermold for $18, probably from the same guy.  I bought oly one because I had never used them before, and wanted to try them.  I used it saturday afternoon, and now want more.  Could you direct me to your source selling them @$15? I promise not to buy up his whole inventory.
thanks,
Patrick
View Quote

Sure Patrick.  I'll gladly help a fellow Ohioan.  Where ya at in Ohio.  I'm 26 miles North of Cincy, West Chester.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=17851[/url]

And for the $20 USGI NIW

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=18684#lastPost[/url]

And I don't need an economics lesson.  I know all about it.  Why don't one of you big dealers buy all the table space at a gun show to cut out the compitition and just sell your $40 NIW GI mags and your $35. Thermolds to the 6 people ignorant enough to buy 'em?

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
These are the same people that buy up the $8. LEO only mags, take them out of the wrapper and then sell them for $22. to some unsuspecting newbie, like I was 5 months ago.  And no I did'nt buy LEO mags but if I could get some for $8.???????

Cible, I'm not really mad.  I just hate to see shit like that at a show.  I know it goes on all the time.  But I still think it sucks.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
It aggrivates me to see that crap as well. Happens at any kind of show. Car shows, gun shows etc.  One dealer at the Carlisle swap meets has about 20 guys with radios and golf carts scan the whole 80 acres prior to open to the general public to buy up everything that has a reasonable price.  Then marks them up to unreasonable prices because no one else has them anymore. While I don't have problems with people trying to make a buck I do have problems with crooks trying to monopolize the market.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Why are you people buying mags right now anyway??? I was told that if a certain candidate won the election that all of our troubles would be over on September 14, 2004. You all are chumps.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Just buy the used oralites for $9.95 from Aim or Centerfire systems and you won't have to worry about the gunshow robbers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top