Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2003 2:27:13 PM EDT
Ok if your like me you have a tough time opening the safe under pressure, so my alternative is to leave a few guns out in different places (hidden)

now here is what I am thinking I don't want to walk in and have some badguy with my .45

so what I was thinking is hiding the guns as best as I can then keeping the chamber empty but the mag loaded now the first round in the mag will be a squib that I reloaded meaning it will only have a primer with a little powder and a bullet...

anyone who has reloaded knows what happens with squips they get stuck halfway down the barrel.

so badguy finds my gun racks a round in the chamber pulls the trigger I laugh and say sucker!

he then racks the slide again and pulls the trigger KABOOM how do those wood grips feel in your hands scumbag thats when I return fire.

maybe I am just crazy
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure that the word "maybe" should enter into the discussion.

If you can't handle left 45-right 18-left 31 under pressure, you probably can't handle find-rack-rack under pressure, either. And the result of a live round after a squib is not necessarily a KB. This is a theory that is best left untested, methinks.

Wear your .45 around your neck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as you don't have little kids in the house.

what if the bad guy(s) supplies his own guns?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Scenario number two:
You walk in and badguy is hiding behind your door, he racks a round into the chamber if he hasn't already done so and puts the gun to your temple and blows his hand off along with half of your face.

Scenario number 3:
You can't open a safe when rushed or nervous so you forget about 1st round being a "squib set up round" and you rack the round and fire at the badguy and blow your own hand off.

[b]anyone else have some more ,this is fun, LOL[/b]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another scenario...

BG already has his own gun.  As you reach for yours and take the time to rack it twice, he draws and shoots.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.
View Quote

yeah but if I left the guns unattended I would probably leave them with a loaded mag and no round in the chamber.

or maybe should I just leave a squip in the chamber so the gun looks loaded?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you can't handle left 45-right 18-left 31 under pressure, you probably can't handle find-rack-rack under pressure, either.

Wear your .45 around your neck.
View Quote

my safe is slooow
you have to start on 0 then skip 45 3 times then stop on 45, skip 18 twice skip 31 twice then roll back to 0. takes a while and one little mess up then your screwed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Scenario number two:
You walk in and badguy is hiding behind your door, he racks a round into the chamber if he hasn't already done so and puts the gun to your temple and blows his hand off along with half of your face.
[b]anyone else have some more ,this is fun, LOL[/b]
View Quote

actually that one would be a squip so we both would be fine, besides a little ringing in the ears.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I always considered it a fairly standard practice to keep a "defense gun" loaded and readily accessible while the rest of the collection is unloaded and locked up in the safe. Ideally, that gun is on your person, though that isn't always practical. It might help to think about where a bad guy could break in and where you might be; where you would run to and where he might run to.

As for the squib thing... I like to keep the defensive weapons as simple to use as possible, so you don't have to remember to rack the slide twice on this gun and not at all on the other. An autoloader with a manual safety on is much easier to use (esp. one handed) and will reportedly fool most bad guys long enough to get a back-up gun, or take it back from them, or just run away. This also has the advantage of not blowing up your expensive gun.

Plus, I have heard that some guns will actually function properly firing a live round with a bullet already in the barrel. They reportedly did this to a HK USP and it didn't blow up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy an H&K P8. When the NJ police had them, none of them were ever shot by their own guns.

The squeeze cocker confused them.

Get a quick safe for just one of your guns. I was thinking about putting one of those in the truck because a lot of businesses ban concealed carry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Scenario:  You get the squib mixed up with a live round and it goes into the mag second from the top.  The bg has a weapon, maybe just a knife or ball bat, and is moving toward you.  You rack the slide twice, calmly aim at his chest, pull the trigger and hear a slight pop.

How are you at hand-to-hand?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Scenario:  You get the squib mixed up with a live round and it goes into the mag second from the top.  

How are you at hand-to-hand?
View Quote

That wouldn't happen because my cast lead reloads look alot different from my ranger T's or Golden sabers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
In developmental tests of the USP Heckler & Koch deliberately squibbed the gun and fired the next round behind it. In the vast majority of the tests the USP expelled both rounds and continued to function with remarkably retention of accuracy and reliability despite a bulged barrel. I'm willing to bet that most reliable, quality handguns will do the same.

If your gonna leave plants around the house just hide them well. Keep holdouts in mind. A good friend of mine walled up several handguns in his house. Basically blue bagged them with 2 mags behind the drywall and marked the location with a picture on the wall.

Logic being a home invader may confine you to a bathroom, etc. where you cannot escape. One fist through the drywall and now you are armed. Less dramtically you could plant them in more accessable but still unnoticable locations.

Obviously if you have kids, that will narrow your options.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Another scenario is your system works and Bad Guy blows his hand off and weeks later you loose everything to the bad guy in court for planting a squib round.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
How 'bout the more likely scenario. You are out of the house, at work, dinner, etc.

A burglar breaks in. The first thing many burglars do is disable the phone, and look for designed or expedient weapons. Any guesses how long it takes a person looking for hidden valuables to find your gun(s)?

Guess what happens if you come home during the burglary, or the burgalary is interupted by another person?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How 'bout the more likely scenario. You are out of the house, at work, dinner, etc.

A burglar breaks in. The first thing many burglars do is disable the phone, and look for designed or expedient weapons. Any guesses how long it takes a person looking for hidden valuables to find your gun(s)?

Guess what happens if you come home during the burglary, or the burgalary is interupted by another person?
View Quote

I usually leave non-functional things that look valuable(ie items look of real value such as a broken down camcorder, fake guns) in fairly plain-sight as sucker items. I have both a few non-functional non-firearms pistol from Collectors Armory(they are not too friendly) of Virginia that you can't tell from the real thing until hold them and you try to load real ammo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever think of a holster??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
One thing I will do is leave an empty mag in my weapon I have out and a full mag concealed nearby.
The empty gun can still be used to hold off the guy or put him down on the ground while you retrieve the full magazine.

Anyone remember the shotgun encounter between the Road Warrior & the Gyro Captain?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Explain again how the BG got past the APM's and into your house?

I don't know about ya'll, but I prefer to stop the BG's BEFORE they enter. If I'm home, it's easy. If I'm not, the neighbors may complain about all the noise and smoke, but they'll get over it.

cynic
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree with TC6969...
Although you can buy a bunch of keyed handgun safes and keep a key around your neck. Bolt the safes inside cupboards and whereever else you think is within reach should SHTF.

But TC6969 is right 100% all you NEED is ONE loaded gun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Keep one gun handy, like they said above, one is all you need.  Although I do like the idea of busting through drywall and bringing out guns!  [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I ALWAYS keep one handgun loaded and ready to rock and roll in the safe. Only I have the combo for the safe, so only I know which one is loaded.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok if your like me you have a tough time opening the safe under pressure, so my alternative is to leave a few guns out in different places (hidden)

now here is what I am thinking I don't want to walk in and have some badguy with my .45

so what I was thinking is hiding the guns as best as I can then keeping the chamber empty but the mag loaded now the first round in the mag will be a squib that I reloaded meaning it will only have a primer with a little powder and a bullet...

anyone who has reloaded knows what happens with squips they get stuck halfway down the barrel.

so badguy finds my gun racks a round in the chamber pulls the trigger I laugh and say sucker!

he then racks the slide again and pulls the trigger KABOOM how do those wood grips feel in your hands scumbag thats when I return fire.

maybe I am just crazy
View Quote

Holy crap are you overthinking things.

Buy a GunVault and keep it easily but safely accessible.
OR, if you are THAT worried about home invasion, carry the damned thing on you at all times while at home.
Leaving them laying around loose is nuts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ever think of a holster??

Sgtar15
View Quote

Sometimes you crack me up Sarge.  

I dont take my .45 off until I go to bed.  Theres an 870 hidden in the bedroom.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#27]
In case of an intruder, the wife can barricade herself in the bathroom.

There is a loaded gun in the linen closet, and a cell phone nearby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top