Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 2:01:08 PM EDT
Look at me - I'm a LIBERAL!

or a minority.

Tashauwnda Washington-Green

I actually saw this one today.  It's always a pinko or a black.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Case in point!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, what's up with the hyphenated name? It's like the husband's name isn't good enough for those women.

This made me think of Julia Louise-Dreyfus. she gives me the willies.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
And while we're on fucked-up names, there's a kid at a local school here whose given name is (I'm dead serious) Shithead - pronounced Shii thea ed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
your'e just being picky.

Red-ray.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, what's up with the hyphenated name? It's like the husband's name isn't good enough for those women.

This made me think of Julia Louise-Dreyfus. she gives me the willies.
View Quote

Actually, in her case, Louis-Dreyfus is her family name. The Louis-Dreyfus family is one of the wealthiest families in the world. They control probably about 20% of all international grain trading, in addition to operating the largest soybean grushing plant in the world in Argentina. And there's this about Julia's grandfather from [url=http://www.imdb.com/Bio?Louis-Dreyfus,%20Julia]IMDB[/url]:
Julia's grandfather, Pierre Louis-Dreyfus, was a member of the French Reisistance during WWII, and flew 88 missions for Charles de Gaulle's Free French Air Force.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Well someone in her family tree didn't like the spouse's name.

And she's still too perky.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Hyphenated last names piss me off![/b]

Why is that?

Bill-Tidler-Jr.

[img]http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-124.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I shit you not, a "guy" I went to school with hyphenated his wife's name to his! [heavy]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless a woman has a well-established profession or political career prior to marriage, hyphenating a maiden name is done simply to indicate to her husband and everyone else that she is an independent, autonomous being who wishes to retain her identity and will not have it diluted by marriage.

In other words, a castrating, self-centered bitch who is married to a spineless jellyfish of an excuse for a man.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I served with a bunch of guys who had hyphenated names - all family names that they were born with, and didn't choose.  Not a liberal among them (hint: the aristocracy tend to be a wee bit conservative)

The ones that immediately spring to mind are:
Rewentlow-Mourier
Wedell-Wedellsborg
Ahlefeldt-Lauritsen
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems the puerto ricans do it all the time.
Seems stupid to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
why would you give a shit?

i would be fine having a wife with a hyphenated last name. i like strong independent women. i have no respect for mousy little barefoot and pregnant husband pleasers. they are very boring to talk to.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unless a woman has a well-established profession or political career prior to marriage, hyphenating a maiden name is done simply to indicate to her husband and everyone else that she is an independent, autonomous being who wishes to retain her identity and will not have it diluted by marriage.

In other words, a castrating, self-centered bitch who is married to a spineless jellyfish of an excuse for a man.
View Quote
Amen to that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
You are right, I don't like people from new jersey.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It seems the puerto ricans do it all the time.
Seems stupid to me.
View Quote

Actually, I believe hispanics take their father's name and their mother's maiden name.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]
That hyphenated name crap came up when I was engaged. When I looked at her like she was crazy and told her that was unacceptable I got the oddest look from her.... She finally understood what was going on and agreed to drop the idea of a "-" name.

I've always wondered... after a few generations of women (& sons) for whom their husband's name wasn't good enough, how long would it take to get the union of Twanda Smythe-Jones and Todd Jones-Smith to product little Johnny Jones-Smith-Smythe-Jones?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I never took my husband's name when I got married. I would never have considered hyphenating either.

I believe a relationship should enhance who you are as a person not take away any aspect of it, including your identity.

TT
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I am neither a liberal nor a minority, but if I ever marry again (which I doubt I will)I will most likely hyphenate my name.  Not for any of the reasons listed here but because I have children and I would want to keep an association to them.  I would also want to take my husbands' name, therefore I would hyphenate my name.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Lets see I have a hyphenated name:

Last name Matthiessen-Vanover.

Matthiessen was birth name, Vanover was stepfathers name. Would not want it any other way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#22]
dont know about hyphenated names, but my (edited for content) mother tried to change my name to that little cock riding mommas boy's name she left my dad for............that went over well

bitch
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Gotta agree with KODoc on this one. They tend to be self centered bitches that are into the whole womens lib BS. To each their own.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#24]
It says "Pay attention to me, damnit, I'm unique!"

cynic
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I never took my husband's name when I got married. I would never have considered hyphenating either.

I believe a relationship should enhance who you are as a person not take away any aspect of it, including your identity.

TT
View Quote

This doesn't surprise me.  

Traditionally, a woman takes a husband's name because she is leaving her family to form another.  Now I understand that this isn't really popular these days since a large portion of today's woman no longer put family (or kids)  as their top priority anymore.

This is most evident even [i]after[/i] said women have get married.

Sgtar15

PS[white]Still waiting on that damn pie!!!![/white]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Actually, the title of this topic should be:

[b]Other people's[/b] hyphenated last names piss me off!

If you don't like hyphenated last names, don't hyphenate your own.  End of story.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Traditionally, a woman takes a husband's name because she is leaving her family to form another.  Now I understand that this isn't really popular these days since a large portion of today's woman no longer put family (or kids)  as their top priority anymore.
View Quote

Ah, you win the prize for sweeping and ignorant generalization of the week.  My wife has kept her last name, has been married to me for six years, and I cannot ask for a more devoted and steadfast woman.  I chuckle when I hear sentiments like this coming from the people who marry women who change their last name to the man's last name - once, then a second time, then a third time...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#29]
If the offspring of hyphenated pairs marry continuously, each generation will have double the number of hyphenated pairs in the last name.

So after 3 generations you have 2^3, or 8 names in the LAST name. This would help trace one's ancestory, but would be hell on ID's and other documents.

Let's see...after 10 generations...

I can see such an author of a book in the distant future needing most of the text/novel just for his name!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If the offspring of hyphenated pairs marry continuously, each generation will have double the number of hyphenated pairs in the last name.

So after 3 generations you have 2^3, or 8 names in the LAST name. This would help trace one's ancestory, but would be hell on ID's and other documents.

Let's see...after 10 generations...

I can see such an author of a book in the distant future needing most of the text/novel just for his name!
View Quote

Yup.  The hyphenated last name is a self-correcting issue.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]
[b]Laurie Dhue-mejames[/b]  just kind of rolls off the tongue.  I like the sound of it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Roger that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I served with a bunch of guys who had hyphenated names - all family names that they were born with, and didn't choose.  Not a liberal among them (hint: the aristocracy tend to be a wee bit conservative)

The ones that immediately spring to mind are:
Rewentlow-Mourier
Wedell-Wedellsborg
Ahlefeldt-Lauritsen
View Quote

In the US, the old east coast WASP elite that were kind of at the top of the pile tended to have hyphenated names, although I wouldn't call them "conservative".

My good friend had a hyphenated name that sounded good to my ears, but his family was really liberal, very unconventional.  The mother's four children were by three different fathers and all out of wedlock (hence the three different hypenated names), and then she took up with her current lesbian partner.  They're great though.  I love all of them.  Completely different from my square childhood, my buddy got his BS in physics summa cum laude, is married with a son.  His younger siblings are bright too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am neither a liberal nor a minority, but if I ever marry again (which I doubt I will)I will most likely hyphenate my name.  Not for any of the reasons listed here but because I have children and I would want to keep an association to them.  I would also want to take my husbands' name, therefore I would hyphenate my name.
View Quote

I can see that.  My mother remarried after my father died, and now she doesn't have the same last name as my brother and me.  It wouldn't bother me so much except my little brother still lives at home.

I once heard a woman tell me that she hyphenated her last name because she wanted to honor her father.  And while I think that's a nice gesture and all, I think it's somewhat absurd.  When my daughter walks down that isle and says "I do," she ceases to become my daughter and instead becomes someone's wife.  That is unless he hits her.  Then I become judge, jury, torturer, and executioner.

If he's good enough to marry, then why isn't he good enough to take his last name?  I'd be very interested to see the correlation between hyphenated last names and divorces.  My wife and I both despise both equally.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Ah, you win the prize for sweeping and ignorant generalization of the week.  My wife has kept her last name, has been married to me for six years, and I cannot ask for a more devoted and steadfast woman.  I chuckle when I hear sentiments like this coming from the people who marry women who change their last name to the man's last name - once, then a second time, then a third time...
View Quote

You know, I simply don't understand why people get married and the wife doesn't take the person's last name.  You'd have been better off tax wise if you had both just shacked up.  Did your wife give you a reason why she didn't take your last name?  When you have kids, who's last name are they going to get?  

I have a friend who got married.  He doesn't wear a wedding ring and his wife didn't take his last name.  WTF was the point?  Some people say they don't believe in symbols, but then, what is a wedding ceremony?

My wife and I have been married for almost six years now with two kids, and we all have the same name.  It makes it a lot less confusing for everyone that way, since we're a family.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:32:39 AM EDT
[#36]
This ain't Spain or some third world country.   People traditionally have three names and use two.  If they desire to use three, including hypens, they can expect me to not comply.  I use two names for people no matter what they want and refuse to do otherwise.  THAT is MY choice!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't like it so anyone that does it is [s]ignorant[/s] socially awkward.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You know, I simply don't understand why people get married and the wife doesn't take the person's last name.  You'd have been better off tax wise if you had both just shacked up.  Did your wife give you a reason why she didn't take your last name?  When you have kids, who's last name are they going to get?  
View Quote

[size=3]If your understanding of marriage is that in order for it to be meaningful a name change has to occur, then your marriage is shallow and in trouble.  You are destined for divorce.[/size=3]

A sweeping and stupid generalization, no?  Seriously, that is what you and a lot of other people sound like.  I don't have a problem with your wife taking your last name.  Why do you have a problem with my wife keeping hers?  Live and let live.  Try to not force your expectations and perspectives on marriage on other people.

Believe me, there is no such thing as a uniform view on marriage.  I come from a devoutly Catholic immigrant family.  Trust me, there are some in my parents' generation whose solidly held views on marriage and the roles of husband and wife would make you run for the hills.  I don't automatically feel qualified to lecture them on changing their marital arrangements, and I sure am not going to listen to them lecture me either.

By the way, we don't plan to have any children.  Another (gasp!) personal decision made for reasons that are not necessary to go into here.  Last name problem solved.  [:D]  Does that make you feel better?

I'm not ragging on you, GBT, just perplexed that, knowing you, why other men's wives' last names would make you so upset.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Actually, GBT, you have shared some of your history with us in the past.  This included the fact that you did not have your father's last name for some time.  I wonder if this makes you place a lot of value upon having it.  There is nothing wrong with that.

I, on the other hand, have always had my father's last name, my parents have been married for 50 years this past November (!), and so the last name thing has never been an issue in my life.  Consequently, I was not really greatly bothered by the fact that my wife chose to keep her last name.  Again, nothing wrong with that either.

Just trying to understand where you are coming from.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This ain't Spain or some third world country.   People traditionally have three names and use two.  If they desire to use three, including hypens, they can expect me to not comply.  I use two names for people no matter what they want and refuse to do otherwise.  THAT is MY choice!
View Quote

Kewl.  Can they call you what they feel like too?  [:D]  I mean, fair is fair...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#41]
frankly, i could give a flyin' fuck what you call yourself. that's your business.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[size=3]If your understanding of marriage is that in order for it to be meaningful a name change has to occur, then your marriage is shallow and in trouble.  You are destined for divorce.[/size=3]

View Quote

You do not have to yell, my good man.  I wasn't trying to attack you or your wife.  I simply said what I meant.  "I do not understand why some people get married, yet the wife does not take the last name of her husband."  Seems pretty straight forward.  

To me it is an important thing.  It's a gesture of exactly what many have stated already.  Maybe I am old fashioned (wouldn't explain the piercings though), but when the bride walks down the aisle and says "I do," she leaves her father's home and the bride and groom start their own.  Of all the women I have known personally who did not take their husband's last name, all of them ended in divorce, except for my previuos example, and there have been rumors of infidelity there.

A sweeping and stupid generalization, no?  Seriously, that is what you and a lot of other people sound like.  I don't have a problem with your wife taking your last name.  Why do you have a problem with my wife keeping hers?  Live and let live.  Try to not force your expectations and perspectives on marriage on other people.
View Quote

I'm not forcing anything, unless I'm somehow forcing your wife to do something based on my questions.

By the way, we don't plan to have any children.  Another (gasp!) personal decision made for reasons that are not necessary to go into here.  Last name problem solved.  [:D]  Does that make you feel better?
View Quote

Actually, it doesn't make me feel better, if only that I do believe having children is truly a blessing.  I do, however, respect that decision.

I'm not ragging on you, GBT, just perplexed that, knowing you, why other men's wives' last names would make you so upset.
View Quote

If you imagined me upset, you would not have been correct.  I simply do not understand it.  If anything, I'm agitated at the fact that I just don't comprehend it, which is why I asked you the questions I did.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Actually, GBT, you have shared some of your history with us in the past.  This included the fact that you did not have your father's last name for some time.  I wonder if this makes you place a lot of value upon having it.  There is nothing wrong with that.
View Quote

Actually, I had my father's last name, as I'm named after my paternal grandfather.  This is also the name I gave to my son.  While I had his name, what I did not have was a father.  It wasn't until I was around 3 years old that he decided to act like one.  You would be amazed at how much I remember from those early years.  It is the pain I felt at such a young age, knowing that my father did not care enough about me during those early years to even want to see me, that makes me the dedicated father I am today.  My children will never know what that feeling is like, though I'm sure I'll inflict something just as therapy worthy upon them.

I, on the other hand, have always had my father's last name, my parents have been married for 50 years this past November (!), and so the last name thing has never been an issue in my life.  Consequently, I was not really greatly bothered by the fact that my wife chose to keep her last name.  Again, nothing wrong with that either.

Just trying to understand where you are coming from.
View Quote

Tell your parents I said congratulations on their anniversiary.  50 years is truly an accomplishment.

To the point, my parents were actually never married.  My mother took my father's last name, and the lived together from the time I was 3 until he died 11 years later, but they never had a wedding.  I have relatives who aren't very polite in what they think of me and my brother.  But living well is the best revenge! [}:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top