Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 1:26:58 PM EDT
Get rid of this extra fat on my waist? The proverbial "spare tire"? It's not real bad but I want to be trimmed doen and have a flat ab. I'm 32 6'4"@220lbs run every day eat okay. Can keep an 8 minute mile pace for what seems indfinitly. So I'm thinking I have to speed up my pace or longer runs? Right now I'm running anywhere from 1.5-3miles depending on weather outside and my hectic yet unemployed life. I usually run around 5pm. Should I change my time? More situps? Help! I never had one of these spare tires until I hit 28 or so. Also posred in Fitness forum.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots more running.

Healthier diet.

More situps.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet. I am not liable for anything that happens to ya. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, what Mike say...drink beer good for you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, here is what I would do:
1. Change the time that you run to the early morning. Eat very little prior to running (say a balance bar, or an orange, or an apple) and throughly hydrate the night before and also during your run.
2. Change the distance that you are running. I would recommend short runs of at least 2-3 miles and working up to longer runs of 5-7 miles.
3. Change the intensity level that you are running at. One very useful way to manage this is to purchase a heart rate monitor (Polar is a great brand name w/ a wide variety of product lines to suit any budget). You want to keep your heart rate in the fat-burning zone. Use google and do a search on calculating your max heart rate and also the different target zones for fat burning, cardio-vascular conditioning, etc...
4. Check out runners world on the net for more info.
5. Consider getting a running partner to help push you and vice versa. It can really help you out in the long term.

HTH!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Learn how to get your body to burn fat (go into ketosis).  Measure this by using ph indicators such as ketostix.  Long distance cyclists are good at this as their races go way beyond even marathons in time though not intensity.  Fat burning is long slow distance related.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried getting my target HR but could only maintain it at what seemed like a fast walk.  I like running and I think I'm getting addicted because I feel like shit if I don't run at least 4x a week.  I like that energy you get like I can run a million miles.  Anyway I will hit the longer runs I can do 5 miles but to be honest I usually run with my wife who has a slower pace and not as much endurance.  So I get bored alone.  I do lots of pushups, usually in sets of 25.  I am lousy at situps and it is ironic because in HS I could do situps like the wind and had a tough time with running and pushups.  I would like to get to 210-215lbs while maintaing my muscle mass and getting a flat stomach again.  I can use the base gym but 25 minute drive discourages me I guess I need more motivation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top