wtf?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What, till midnight?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a tad concerned about the safety risks. I'll most definitely be up till midnight though. I'll make sure to post in my thread in the team forum right before I go to bed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm gunning for 36 total (midnight tonight). I'm fairly sure I could get plenty more, but I just don't wanna screw up my head any more than it already is.

Note: Slow down typing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The longest I've managed to stay awake is about 96 hours give or take.  It sucked and could only be accomplished using large amounts of sugar and caffeine.  By the end of day 4 I was having real problems with hallucinations.  It's not so much seeing things in detail that aren't there, but catching the impression of something either visually or audibly.  I got incredibly jumpy and irritable, couldn't concentrate on anything, remember instructions given to me properly or process information effectively.  How much of that was fatigue and how much was caffeine in my system, I don't know.

Longest I've gone without eating, was also about 4 days.  I did drink tea and water, but ate no food.  Again, by the last day I was having some troubles with higher mental functions and would fall asleep if I was not actively engaged in something.

Never tried to go without water, the downside there if you screw up is too bad to contemplate.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The longest I've managed to stay awake is about 96 hours give or take.  It sucked and could only be accomplished using large amounts of sugar and caffeine.  By the end of day 4 I was having real problems with hallucinations.  It's not so much seeing things in detail that aren't there, but catching the impression of something either visually or audibly.  I got incredibly jumpy and irritable, couldn't concentrate on anything, remember instructions given to me properly or process information effectively.  How much of that was fatigue and how much was caffeine in my system, I don't know.

Longest I've gone without eating, was also about 4 days.  I did drink tea and water, but ate no food.  Again, by the last day I was having some troubles with higher mental functions and would fall asleep if I was not actively engaged in something.

Never tried to go without water, the downside there if you screw up is too bad to contemplate.

View Quote

Wow man. [headbang]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the 3rd day I have been up without sleep.  I really gotta see a doctor about this insomnia problem.  At 11:30 tonight it will be 72 hours.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell, I've sat in a poker game for 36hrs and I've stayed up working for 48hrs straight and I don't think either of those are anything spectacular. I was tired as hell but it ain't nothin to write home about.

96hrs or more and I'd be impressed. 36hrs is kids play.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is the 3rd day I have been up without sleep.  I really gotta see a doctor about this insomnia problem.  At 11:30 tonight it will be 72 hours.
View Quote

Are you tired at all? If so, is it like you are tired but still can't get to sleep, or just don't feel 'in the mood' for sleep?

It's like anorexia with sleep. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hell, I've sat in a poker game for 36hrs and I've stayed up working for 48hrs straight and I don't think either of those are anything spectacular. I was tired as hell but it ain't nothin to write home about.

96hrs or more and I'd be impressed. [red]36hrs is kids play.[/red]
View Quote

I know. I was originally just gonna go as long as I could but cyanide pointed out that there might be some risks involved with that, especially at my young age. I decided 36 hours wouldn't be too hard on me at all, as I am not really tired right now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I've gone 48+ hours without sleep a few times, and have gone as much as 8 days with only 1- or 2-hour "power naps" every 16-20 hours. After about 36 hours, my eyes start to play tricks on me, but after 48 hours, it's just like everything is happening in slow motion. My biggest problem is that my legs really start to hurt after 36 hours. The most important thing for me if I'm staying awake for a long time is to drink lots and lots of water.

I've gone at least 4 days without food, but drank lots of water. Funny thing was, I started to lose my appetite after that. I really didn't want to eat after the 4th day, but knew  Ihad to. Going more than a day or so without water, unless it's a dire emergency, is tantamount to suicide. Dehydration sucks, but kidney failure sucks even more.

36 hours without sleep? Heck, I could do that with my eyes closed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know. I was originally just gonna go as long as I could but cyanide pointed out that there might be some risks involved with that, especially at my young age. I decided 36 hours wouldn't be too hard on me at all, as I am not really tired right now.
View Quote

WTF!?!?!  What risks could possibly happen because of sleep deprivation?  You might go crazy later on, but after a nice nap you'll be back to normal.

Quit listening to the worrywarts and stay up for a week.  Let us know how it goes.

I think the longest I ever stayed up was around 60 hours, give or take a couple hours.  That was back in high school...those were the days.  Nowadays if I had to pull an all-nighter, I would be taking 15-30 minute cat naps left and right.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you tired at all? If so, is it like you are tired but still can't get to sleep, or just don't feel 'in the mood' for sleep?

View Quote

Oh, I am extremely tired.  What is causing it is the amount of information I am processing that and being a workaholic.  I deal with extreme amounts of data at work.  When I go home, I am doing a cost/benifit analysis on buying a car and having to collect data on that.  These things keep my mind going very quickly. Combine the extreme amount of information running around my head with phoned death threats I have recieved recently and a Glock that is having FTF issues, sleep just isint coming to me right now.  Just too much to worry about.

Edited to fix typos
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Oh, I am extremely tired.  What is causing it is the amount of information I am processing that and being a workaholic.  I deal with extreme amounts of data at work.  When I go home, I am doing a cost/benifit analysis on buying a car and having to collect data on that.  These things keep my mind going very quickly. Combine the extreme amount of information running around my head with phoned death threats I have recieved recently and a Glock that is having FTF issues, sleep just isint coming to me right now.  Just too much to worry about.

Edited to fix typos
View Quote

Sorry to hear 'bout that, that really sucks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF!?!?!  What risks could possibly happen because of sleep deprivation?  You might go crazy later on, but after a nice nap you'll be back to normal.

Quit listening to the worrywarts and stay up for a week.  Let us know how it goes.

I think the longest I ever stayed up was around 60 hours, give or take a couple hours.  That was back in high school...those were the days.  Nowadays if I had to pull an all-nighter, I would be taking 15-30 minute cat naps left and right.

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

I'll show ya what cyanide posted:

At this young stage in your life sleep depravation could change the chemical composition in your brain with permanent results. Don't attempt this till about 17 18 years of age.
View Quote

serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web3/Ledoux.html Note this part Without sleep our brains deteriorate or this part One of the possible side effects of a continued lack of sleep is death. Usually this is the result of the fact that the immune system is weakened without sleep. The number of white blood cells within the body decreases, as does the activity of the remaining white blood cells. The body also decreases the amount of growth hormone produced (8). The ability of the body to metabolize sugar declines, turning sugar into fat. One study stated that people who sleep less than four hours per night are three times more likely to die within the next six years (11). Although the longest a human has remained awake was eleven days rats that are continually deprived of sleep die within two to five weeks, generally due to their severely weakened immune system (10), (11), (12).
View Quote

I can not get logged in right now at Cambridge, but here is some research material you can investigate at your leisure.////Asikainen, M; Toppila, J; Alanko, L; Ward, DJ; Stenberg, D*; Porkka-Heiskanen, T

NEUROREPORT, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1577-1582, 1997

IN order to study possible time-dependent changes in serotonin metabolism in rat brain, male Wistar rats were subjected to 3, 6 or 12 h total sleep deprivation (SD) by gentle handling. In addition two groups of rats subjected first to 6 h SD were allowed 2 or 4 h rebound sleep. Tissue concentrations of serotonin (5-HT) and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) were measured from several brain areas using HPLC/ECD. SD significantly increased the 5-HIAA/5-HT ratio in frontal cortex, hippocampus, hypothalamus and brain stem, indicating increased 5-HT turnover in those areas. After 2 and 4 h rebound sleep, the 5-HIAA/5-HT ratio was similar to that in controls. We conclude that a short SD increases 5-HT turnover in the rat brain for the duration of SD only.

layman terms --- lack of sleep changes brain chemicals, possible conclusion -- in a youth it could lead to a permanent change ie: personality, ability to learn, etc.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was working 80-100 hour weeks as a norm (1996-2000), I would regularly do 48-72 hours awake.

The third bout with pneumonia in a 6 month stretch in 2002 almost killed me and put me in the hospital for 5 days.

Now I work a leisurely 60 hours a week.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
96hrs or more and I'd be impressed. 36hrs is kids play.
View Quote

Seeing that Sniper Wolfe is 14 years old, I sure will give him some credit for his 36 hours. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
What risks could possibly happen because of sleep deprivation?
View Quote

Permanent personality changes.  A relative of mine participated in a sleep deprivation study at Emory, and they found that some of the changes that happens after an extremely long time without sleep (3+ days) don't ever go away.  They stopped the study after that.  I don't remember all of the symptoms, but they were so scary, I changed jobs so I would no longer have to spend 48 hours straight awake each week.z
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Edited to fix typos
View Quote

Why don't you find another gun and go make the death threats a reality to the person who is making them?  HRMMM??  If you don't know who it is, get a trace on your line.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#27]
For one of my jobs I worked 3 12 hour days.
I would change back to sleeping at night for the off days. Once I got up Monday morning like normal around 07:00 AM. I normally would take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and be OK. Didn't get the nap in. Worked 12 and came home Tuesday morning. Couldn't fall asleep. Worked another 12 and came home Wednesday morning. Still the same, so I decided to drink myself to sleep. Still no sleep, but it was weird being drunk and very sleepy. Work another 12 and came home Thursday morning. Same until Friday morning about 08:00-09:00 AM. I ended up sleeping thru Saturday and waking up Sunday evening late. I was not trying to do this, but it happened. I hope I never have to go thru it again.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited to fix typos
View Quote

Why don't you find another gun and go make the death threats a reality to the person who is making them?  HRMMM??  If you don't know who it is, get a trace on your line.  
View Quote

Called the cops when it started, got a block on the number, they do run traces.  Cops came by, gave me some tips on making entry to my place a living hell and they told me to keep the gun CL&RTR and near by at all times.  I think it is some cracked out loony making crank calls.  Unfortunately, cant afford a new gun.  Tanking it to Smyrna this weekend for a new bbl and mags. It is brand new, 150 rounds through it.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Go Sniper_Wolfe! You can do it buddy. I have faith in you. Yeah you cant mess your head anymore than you already have. Haha. How do you keep yourself occupied??
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#30]
This really isn't a good test since we don't have an EEG on him or at least a Web cam.  He could already be taking micro-catnaps and not even be aware of it.

We need to be able to shock him if he starts to doze off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#31]
At least a couple of disc jockeys/announcers who tried marathon radio sessions in the 50/60s ended up with permanent mental problems according to discovery channel documentary, iirc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#32]
So basically so long as I don't go past 72 hours I should be fine?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Am I supposed to be checking in here again?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Alright well I'm going out to eat now, don't worry. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Your getting sleepy [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/141064/fc15f157.gif[/img] you will close your eyes till you hear me snap my fingers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#36]
[lol]

Nice.

I'm back guys.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#37]
go for 100 ya pansy...
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[lol]

Nice.

I'm back guys.
View Quote

so your staying up until midnight Tues 6/3 ??
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[lol]

Nice.

I'm back guys.
View Quote

so your staying up until midnight Tues 6/3 ??
View Quote

Not sure yet, but at least that long.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Iceman,

I had a similar situation. Up for about 50 hours straight once.
I kept thinking there was something moving at the periphery of my vision after I was up for about  36hrs.  I just stopped looking after a few hours and it seemed to stop bothering me.
The last 10hrs were torturous. If I wasn't with a group, I could never have done it.
We were participating in a Eco- Challenge/Stupidity type event of our own design.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I stayed awake for 56 hours once. I felt like I was Jack fucking Bauer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#42]
every 60 sec you must make a post! to let everyone know that you are not a sleep!
but think what your post count will be when your finished!!!
about 72 hrs is the longest i went without sleep,thanks uncle sam!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't wanna mess up my sleep cycle, so I'm gonna head to bed now. It was a measly 37 hours, 45 minutes. Oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top