Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 8:39:03 AM EDT
I saw a thread a couple days ago with video of exploding prarie dogs. I can't seem to find it now..
Rifles used.. 17 HMR, 223, and 22-250.. Video was taken in North Dakota and Montana.. I'm just looking for the link to the website to order.

Anyone??

Thanks in advance,
     Chris
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I posted it, I don't know how far back it is now, but the URL is [URL]www.dogbegone.com[/URL] scroll down till you see the link for the video.

Thread title was "Wanna see some carnage?"

HTH
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
OK I have my Flame GEAR on...what is the point of this.  Killing an animal for NO reason - No food, no fur, just leave it for the ants to  eat, makes no sence to me.

Flame away!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK I have my Flame GEAR on...what is the point of this.  Killing an animal for NO reason - No food, no fur, just leave it for the ants to  eat, makes no sence to me.

Flame away!
View Quote

it's the intersectin of entertainment, target practice, and pest control
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Flame away!
View Quote

Prairie dogs eat grass.
Cattle eat grass, guess who loses.

Large prairie dog towns consume all the grass that they cover, usually many acres.

Domesticated dogs like to eat dead prairie dogs.

Prairie dog hunting is fun.

Any more questions?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Pest control.

Have you seen what those things do to the prairies?

Cattle cannot walk without breaking legs, horses etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen a cow with a broken leg, but never a cow witha broken horse. Hmmmmmmmm[beathorse]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Even buzzards got to eat.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Come visit some parts of Montana sometime.

Maybe you'll understand.

Can you say INFESTATION!!

infest >verb (of insects or organisms) be present in large numbers, typically so as to cause damage or disease.
-DERIVATIVES infestation >noun.
-ORIGIN originally in the sense 'torment, harass': from Latin infestare 'assail'.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Just because I don't understand somthing doesn't mean I am going to flame it.

[stick]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Flame away!
View Quote

No flame here, you're issue is legit.  One popular alternative to blasting the little buggers is pesticides. These are relatively indiscrimate and can sometimes potentially leave some heavy duty collateral damage on other species.

Therefore it makes sense to me to let varmint hunters hone their shooting skills while at the same time reducing populations of pests in a most selective way. Way safer than pesticides in the long run (but may not be sufficient to control the pests in some locales).

Kevin
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Flame away!
View Quote

Do some research. Search google for coyotes and prarie dogs. You will find the answer your looking for. I certainly dont kill them (coyotes) for fun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away!
View Quote

Do some research. Search google for coyotes and prarie dogs. You will find the answer your looking for. I certainly dont kill them (coyotes) for fun.
View Quote

What do you do with a coyote when your done shooting it?  Are they good eatin? do you make a hat out of the fur?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I am speaking for myself only. I do not touch the bastard unless I have to. They are nasty and normally infested with fleas and ticks. If they are to close to our residence, I throw a rope around the neck and drag it to the creek.
If its back beyond the house, I let the buzzards get it. The rancher used to pay us for the ears, but he passed away.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

there used to be millions of buffalo roaming the plains freely. seems to me that they roamed in the same areas that prarie dogs built their towns. i never heard that buffalo were always tripping in prarie dog holes. i'm sure it happened, but it can't really be that big of a problem. or the buffalo numbers wouldn't have gotten so large.

i'm not against prarie dog hunting. just don't think i would participate in it. to each his own...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#16]
That's the link I was looking for..
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pest control.

Have you seen what those things do to the prairies?

Cattle [red]cannot walk without breaking legs, horses[/red] etc.
View Quote

Sounds like the "Bear vs. Tiger" thread a while back.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]

When I attended my son's graduation from basic training at Fort Sill last year, we took a side trip to Wichita Mountain Wildlife Preserve outside of Lawton, Oklahoma. They have a bunch of buffalo, longhorn cattle, and prairie dogs.

They have yearly buffalo hunts to thin the heard. Don't know if they allow any other hunting. It was the first time I have been around prairie dogs, and the ones we saw were semi-domesticated from years of being fed by tourists. There must have been hundreds of the little furballs. They came right up to us, although they didn't allow themsleves to be touched.

In large numbers I can see where they could be a problem for ranchers and farmers.

Panzer Out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top