Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2003 12:29:00 AM EDT
A friend of the family suggested that I try out for firefighting, as they're taking recruits.  They have this psychological stress response exam called the B-PAD when they videotape you.  I guess it's to gauge how you respond to life-threatening situations.

Wondered if you had any insights or info about it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Ah, the B-Pad. I hate the B-Pad.

The B-Pad is designed to measure your interpersonal communications skills. I still don't quite understand what that means.

I don't know about Fire B-Pads, but I have taken several Police ones. I tanked the first one I ever took. After that, I pretty much aced them, because I figured out what the "trick" is.

They show you a videotaped scenario, using actors. After 1-2 minutes of scenario play out, the screen freezes and you have a minute or two to speak to the TV (awkward as hell) with what your communications-type response would be if you were dealing with that situaion in real life. Common scenarios are suicidal people, dangerously unhinged folks, drunks, angry complainants, severely traumatized crime victims and so on.

Basically, tell the folks that you are there to help them, tell them that EMS and Victim's Services are coming, and keep repeating that you are there to help. Oh, and if the role-player is holding a gun to their head, work in a few "drop the gun" statements.

You might want to try posting this on the Brothers Of The Shield forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top