Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 11:33:40 PM EDT
 Long movie.  Lots of knife violence.  Was there an anti-gun or pro-gun message?

Anti-gun point: Captain Butthole (forget name, William Whathisface) says he would shoot every immigrant coming off the boats if he had the guns to do it.  Could possibly be hinting at successful gun control, but most likely a lack of arms due to the money needed and wartime urgency.

Pro-gun points: Armed immigrants were able to protect themselves from mentioned Captain Butthole at the church face off when the mobs first meet.  Later, Cameron Diaz' character shoots and kills an attacker armed with a knife as she is fleeing the riots.

Like I said, long movie, but I found it entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh, do you look at every movie this way [>:/] ?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
 I don't look at all movies that way.  When certain issues jump out at me my mind addresses it.  I may be overanalyzing, and I may be paranoid (it is Hollywood after all), but I just want to know what others got out of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I liked it. I had forgotten that America has had anti-immigrant factions forever. I also thought it did a great job dramatizing the draft riots during the Civil War.

Can you imagine US Destroyers shelling G8 protestors these days?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

[cue music]

DREEEEEEEEEEAM. DREAM, DREAM, DREEEEAM....
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[cue music]

DREEEEEEEEEEAM. DREAM, DREAM, DREEEEAM....
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top