Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 9:33:56 PM EDT
I just saw this on TV, Shaq went through the academy & everything & works as a cop during his non-basketball time! Anyone else heard this?

If this is a duplicate thread the my apologies.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]

SHAQ: I WANNA BE A COP
"I will be giving up (basketball) when I'm 32," 29-year-old LA Lakers superstar Shaquille O'Neal revealed last week during a taping of a cable cooking show, where he demonstrated his recipe for sausage omelettes. He added: "I want to go into law enforcement after basketball." Do they make cop shoes that big?
View Quote

[url]http://www.laexaminer.com/old/2001_07_22_archive.html[/url]

and

[url]http://www.nationalenquirer.com/stories/feature.cfm?instanceid=45019[/url]
'SHERIFF SHAQ' SLAM-DUNKS PUNK

After making millions on the court, Shaquille O'Neal plans to pound a beat

Basketball superstar Shaquille O'Neal, one of the richest athletes in the world, works as a cop in his spare time -- and he recently nabbed a suspected rapist!

RESERVE officer O'Neal will go from shooting hoops to shackling hoods when his NBA career is over.
"I grabbed him with one hand by the scruff of his neck," the 7-foot-1, 310-pound Los Angeles Laker told a reporter. "There was no way he could get away. And you know what -- he didn't even recognize me!"

That's not surprising -- who would expect the reigning king of the NBA to be working as beat cop for the Port of Los Angeles Police?

Shaq has $249 million in lifetime contracts plus hundreds of millions in product endorsements. Yet his ambition is to be a cop -- a county sheriff, a town police chief, may-be a police commissioner -- when his basketball career is over.

"I just have a love for policemen because they've always been the real heroes in my life," he said. "I would like to have a leadership role."

Shaq's father Philip Harrison was a career soldier and strict disciplinarian. His uncle and business manager Mike Parris is a former homicide detective in New Jersey.

"Coming from a military family, I believe that whatever is written should be enforced," Shaq said.

O'Neal has completed 400 hours of instruction with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's reserve training program, allowing him to wear a uniform and act as a reserve officer with the port police.

"He's a tremendous learner and a fine human being," said Lieut. Ron Dayhoff, one of his teachers. "He's humble, polite and eager to learn everything about police work.

"He's not about making money from police work -- he genuinely wants to help people."

As a reserve officer Shaq has a $200 police uniform, custom-fitted, and size 22EEE policeman's boots.

He was on patrol recently when his unit was dispatched to answer a rape call.

"The rape victim told us she had been raped by a guy who told her he was a movie producer and lured her to his apartment," Shaq told a source.

"Then he raped her. She managed to escape later and gave us the address of the apartment where the rape took place. We busted through the door of the apartment, but it was empty.

"Then, glancing out the window, I saw a guy answering the rapist's description peering nervously out another apartment window. "I told the sergeant, 'There's your man up there.'

"I told them, 'I'll go out back and wait in the alley near the window while you guys go in the door. If he jumps out the window and runs, I'll be waiting.'

"Sure enough, the guy jumped and started running real fast. I caught him as he passed -- grabbing him one-handed by the scruff of his neck. I jerked him to a stop. He couldn't get away!"

Shaq is also an honorary deputy with the sheriff's department in Orange County, Fla., where he has a home.

"I've seen him several times on patrol," said spokesman Jim Solomons. "He's a great cop and we're proud to have him work with us."

Published on: August 28, 2002
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a news story here one night where they interviewed Shaq whereas, after a game one night, he went  on duty and arrested these drunk rowdy guys next to the staples center.

One of the guys being arrested was like "Shaq!! dude I just saw you and hour ago playing!! What the hell???"
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
he'll end up doing somthing wrong and some family will sue him because they know he has money.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw a 1 minute sound bite on L.A. Fox affiliate KTTV the other day, yep its true. Shaq was all decked out in a blue policeman's uniform.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw an article that said that he got into LE after 9-11. It made him think that he had to personally do something to get involved with Homeland Security, which is why he became a reserve with the Port Police. Good for him. More of the self-centered athletes could learn from his example.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
He could work for my Department. I wonder if he would join our FOP Basketball team?.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish I had some big guys like him working with me.  I'd be talking all kinds of shit!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard he joined the force just so he could buy all those cool banned assult rifles.

SGtar15

PS Shaq is Muslim
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Coming from a military family, [red]I believe that whatever is written should be enforced,"[/red] Shaq said.
View Quote

That's scary.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#11]
From the way Shaq looked all season, he's been pounding those donuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top