Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 7:27:43 PM EDT
Damn it...the name is on the tip of my tounge.
What was the CAS plane used in Viet Nam that resembled a WWII fighter plane?
Good footage of it in the movies FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER, and WE WERE SOLDIERS.

([b]not[/b] the OV10 Bronco)...I mean the prop driven planes that strafe the enemy in the scene where the Intruders are downed in the rice paddy toward the end of FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDERS.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
A-1 Skyraider, I work next door to a guy that flew them.

[url]http://www.warbirdalley.com/a1.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Skyraider
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Douglas Skyraider

[url]http://skyraider.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh...A1 Sky Raider.
Thats it, Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://dautremont.chez.tiscali.fr/Skyraider.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
So much more satisying a flight than a busted wing aircraft.  And what they're using now.  UNmanned aircraft, makes yah cringe just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The Sky Raider was the first aircraft to carry it's own weight in ordinance.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What a magnificiant plane. Those beasts could hang around for hours dropping ordanance and straffing the battlefield. I think Prop driven aircraft could still serve a purpose on todays modern battlefield.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Some guy in Anchorage owns one, parks it at the international airport.  They're pretty damn big for a single engine plane.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
AKA the 'Spad'
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the AF guys called them Sandies too. They are big aircraft and several are active on the Warbird circuit. They could carry a bigger load than a B-17. Cool bird.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:15:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Number Built: 3,180

Number Still Airworthy: Approx. 19
View Quote

When I read stuff like that, it depresses me.

A fine, hard working aircraft.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Gopher beat me to it.  I also understood the Skyraider could carry more ordinance than a B17.  A natural successor to this plane I think is the A-10 Thunderbolt II.  Both planes proved their worth way after the plans were made to scrap them.  Low and slow has it's time and place.

I also find it funy that after they discontinue the F8 Crusader, a dogfighter by design, in favor of planes that carry missles only, they realize dogfighting is a skill pilots still must have.  IIRC, the pre-Top Gun era F4's didn't have guns mounted on them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#16]
If I ever make enough money to start buying real toys, This will be the 1st toy I buy.  Fuck the Ferrari.  Give me an Old A-1!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Regarding the size of the Spad...there are several variants of the type.  There's a single seater, there's a version that seats two side by side,  and some of them (maybe all of them, I don't know) have a door on the right side of the fuselage that leads to the radio operator's station.   So it's really as much as a 3 man plane.  

You just don't quite get how big it is until you see someone standing next to it for reference.  That's a hell of a big single engined plane.   In fact, I think that I've heard it's the largest single engine plane ever put into production.
The engine is in the 3000 horsepower class.

I saw one perform recently at an airshow that hosted a group of Vietnam war reenactors.  They had two Cobras, two Hueys,  the A-1, a Caribou, and a Mohawk all flying at once.   A VERY cool show.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Too bad theres no sound.

[url]http://skyraider.org/hook/movies.htm[/url]

A truly versatile aircraft.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess the OV-1 Mohawk will be the forgotten plane of that era. (Three tails are better than one).
View Quote

Au contraire, mon frer.

[url]http://www.ov-1mohawk.org[/url]

[url]http://www.ov-1.com[/url]

My uncle was a fixed-wing Army aviator and flew one of these for a tour out of Vung Tau, I think (he did three tours flying Caribou and Birddogs, hard to keep the different places straight).

[img]http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/ov-1dmo.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
WE called them "Spads"
The ARVNS flew them ..and so did some USAF
We loved them for CAS because they could stay on station for a long time..and had low stall speed...they could really get on target as they had more time to spot it...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#21]
My favorite Vietnam era prop plane: the OV-10: Bronco.  The Marine's kept them in service until 1994!  Just recently OV-10's have seen combat action (firing rockets on a rebel base) in Indonesia.  Their Vietnam duties ran the gamut between forward air control to dropping 5-6 paratroopers.  All this from a circa 1960 airplane.

[img]http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/ov-10-dvic253.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Nothing beats the sound of a big recip engine with a big prop at full pitch.  Turboprops and turbofans may be more efficient, but 'hhhmmmmmmmm'  instead of a Doppler-effect ROAR just doesnt inspire the same response.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#23]
yeah if someone donated a skyraider to me, i'd be more than happy to fly it.  :)
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Believe it or not...the damn SPAD was nuclear capable!  If the balloon had ever gone up, they were expected to take their nuclear ordnance downtown into the USSR and other Communist countries.

The pilots had a tactic where they approached the target at medium altitude, dove to gather speed, pulled up under full power into a loop a few miles from the target, releasing the bomb go as the plane passed the vertical, continuing the loop over the top while rolling out and diving again at max possible speed for the deck...and the hoped for safety margin.  The bomb would continue to climb for a couple of thousand feet into a big arc...then hopefully drop on the target and detonate after our intrepid aviator was safely away.  In truth...the pilots pretty much agreed that it was a one way mission, cause the SPAD just wasn't that fast...even clean.

One of the finest warbirds of all time...and another masterpiece from the fertile mind of Ed Heineman and his crew at Douglas Aircraft in El Segundo, CA.

My dad built these beasts in the '50s, and we had some in our air group on the carrier I served in during the '60s.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think the Mohawks were allowed to carry weapons afer about 1965, and no SEMAs have been allowed to mount weapns since. They were still in srvice until the 1990s.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Was the OV-2 the push/pull prop plane used in BAT-21?  I still see them around.  I don't know if they are privately owned or if they are looking for pot plants.  

Before I was able to understand why, I had an uncle that used to start rambling on when one of those flew over.  He'd start muttering about "bird dog" and "charlie," and being 7 years old at the time, I had no idea what the heck he was talking about.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen the Bureau of Land Management OV-10 "Bronco Billy" parked in Phoenix. They use it as the control plane for slurry ops. It's painted white with green stripes and BLM on the tails.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was the OV-2 the push/pull prop plane used in BAT-21?  I still see them around.  I don't know if they are privately owned or if they are looking for pot plants.  

Before I was able to understand why, I had an uncle that used to start rambling on when one of those flew over.  He'd start muttering about "bird dog" and "charlie," and being 7 years old at the time, I had no idea what the heck he was talking about.
View Quote

I don't think so.  I believe the plane you are thinking about is the Cessna O-2A/B Skymaster.   [url]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap51.htm[/url]

This plane has a very distinct sound because the front engine stirs up the airflow for the second engine in the rear.  The loud buzzing is unmistakable.  When I was young I used to fly Cessnas and this bird was really different.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think the Mohawks were allowed to carry weapons afer about 1965
View Quote

My uncle spoke of them being armed when he was flying them and that was in 1969 to 1970.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]
LWilde - Thanks!  That's it!  Like you said, the sound would get our attention.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't think the Mohawks were allowed to carry weapons afer about 1965
View Quote

My uncle spoke of them being armed when he was flying them and that was in 1969 to 1970.
View Quote

They weren’t supposed to be!!

It was an Army fixed wing aircraft and the Air Force objected to them being armed.

Of course, what the Air Force didn’t know wasn’t going to hurt them!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
... there was an F-102 sitting derelict off to the side. (my god, what a thick windshield!)...
View Quote

One of these two, perhaps?  [:D]

[image]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13267[/image]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#33]
"... I can fix that..."

The mechanic from "Doc Hollywood", with Michael J. Fox

CJ
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I loved watching them scoot off the flight deck loaded with bombs, zuni's etc., then dropping out of sight for a brief time below the bow before reappearing to climb out.

Not sure, but I think the Spad pilots were counting on the ground effect, or whatever the marine equivalent is called.  

There was at least one report of an A-1 downing a Mig - with a rocket, in the version I heard.  And the story DIDN'T start off with, "Now this is no shit...."

The sound of that engine was a joy to my heart, more memorable than some of those bar-flies I had a chance to -- wait, that's another story.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Where's the pic of the Skyraider hooked to the cat with a toilet hung under the wing?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#36]
How about a pic of a Thud sticking nose first into the ground? [shock]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#37]
..Another skyraider site.......www.abledogs.com...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Sky Raiders are one badass airplane!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#39]
A-1 Skyraider air-to-air kills:

20 Jun 65 Mig-17
09 Oct 66 Mig-17

The rocket incident mentioned above was actually by a A-4 on 1 May 67 on a Mig-17 with a Zuni.  The Mig was taken while in the traffic pattern at Kep.

The only non-fighter USAF aircraft to down Migs were to two separate shootdowns by B52 tail gunners, both in Dec of 1972, both on Mig-21s, and both the only enlisted kills of Migs in the air war.

I've heard of the OV-1's being armed with WP rockets to mark targets for both helicopter gunships and fixed wing.  Don't know the time frame though.  

A-10's habitually go armed with a sidewinder nowdays, after some of them managed to run across Iraqi helicopters that were dumb enough to get in front of them in the Gulf War.  That musta made a mess.  I know of one Mi-4 for sure, and it may be two.  So the A-10 is carrying on a good tradition of not only shooting things on the ground, but making minced meat of anything stupid enough to get slow in front of it.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top