Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2003 2:56:03 PM EDT
OK, the thread topic sums it up.  What's your favorite cheap beer?

For my day-to-day beer, I only drink the cheap stuff.  I also make my own beer, so if I want to have some good beer, I'll drink what I made.  There are also a couple microbrewed beers I really like.

I consider Budweiser mid-priced beer, just so you understand.  By "cheap beer" I'm talking $7-8/case.

I used to drink Schlitz, but I don't like it so much any more.  One beer, called Meister Brau is pretty good and really cheap.  It tastes like MGD, and probably is MGD, but in a different label.

But these days I drink Stroh's.  There's no sweetness to it, and it has a bit of a "grain" flavor to it, for lack of a better word.  So Stroh's is my current favorite cheap beer.

What is your favorite and why?

-Nick Viejo.

P.S. I've also had friends who would refuse to drink any beer unless it came from a union shop.  I think all Miller's brands are union beers.  Any of you guys the same way?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite cheap beer is hands down Bud Light, but like you said I guess that is more of a mid priced beer.

So I would have to say Keystone light.. Its a little skunkier than the Bud, but alot better than most other cheap beers. I used to drink Natty Ice in high school, and the Beast, (Milwakies Best)

PBR is drinkable, but not great.

American brand beer is gross, and so is the brand with the Mt lion on it, forget the name.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Icehouse is a great cheap beer. Its got alot of flavor. Killians is an awesome mid-priced beer. Its got a one of kind taste.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
lone star light (unique)
keystone light (poor mans coors light)
milwaukees best light (the beast)
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I could give a fuck if the beer I drink was made by unions or it was brewed in sweatshops by gnomes. The best beers I've ever had were made locally by entrepreneurs or by Belgian monks.

Beer is expensive up here. Busch seems like a decent inoffensive lager for $8 a half-rack. Doesn't taste great but it doesn't have any nasty skunk bitter aftertaste to it either. The foul Natural Ice which is the cheapest beer I can think of sometimes goes for $6-$7 a half-rack here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no beer other than Blue Moon.

None.

If there is no Blue Moon, there is no beer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Bud light
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on....somebody from Wisconsin say "Old Style"....I know you're out there...I lived there for four years....
Miller Lite is about all I drink. Lone Star Lite isn't too bad as far as cheap beers go, but it's a Texas only thing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is no beer other than Blue Moon.

None.

If there is no Blue Moon, there is no beer.
View Quote

Oh yeah there are better beers than Blue Moon.  Their Belgian White is a pretty good attempt at the european original, and it's one of my favorites. But I am sorry, no one makes beer like the Belgians do. I love their style the most.

But Blue Moon isn't a cheap-o beer.  When I was working on my friend's farmhouse in Washington state, the local store was selling that stuff for $5 a sixer.  I was in bloody heaven.  Usually it's $9 here.  Which I visited the Benelux countries, they had of course all these awesome Belgian ales on tap at US microbrew prices, which was relatively cheap.  Usually have to buy it by the 750ml bottle here, starting at $9 in bars.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow!  Lots of you people drink light beers.  I don't touch them; it's against my religion.  I'm not picky about what I drink, but if someone asks me, "What kind of beer should I go buy?"  I tell them, "Anything that's not Budweiser or light beer!"

I can't take Budweiser.  There's some sort of sticky sweetness to it I just don't like.

Lowenbrau used to be a damn good cheap beer, but then the company got bought out and they did some weird-ass marketing shit and jacked the price on a case by several dollars so I no longer drink that stuff.

Keep 'em comin!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Lone Star
KEYSTONE LIGHT - poor high schoolers drink of choice [:)]
Bud Light
Coors Light
Miller Lite

and then when were in poverty:

Mickeys or Olde English 800s FOTAYSSSS
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.leinie.com/art/taproom/Original/original_bottle_glass.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Labatts  -  7.99$ for a 12 pack of bottles
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
When I used to live in portland you could pick up a 6 pack of Henry Weinhardts for $4-$5 I used to drink the shit out of it, down here it is more like $7 or $8
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#14]
PBR me, ASAP.
Lucky Lager.
Raaaiin-eaaar Beeeer.

Homer: Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?
Apu: Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.
Homer: Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
FREE.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Wterford Pale Ale.

I give you.....  

The Waterford Brewery!

[img]http://home.nc.rr.com/juanpiedra/brewset.jpg[/img]

Sorry if it's a little large!

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Bud Light.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Keystone but in my younger days it was BEAST bottles(Milwaukees Best in bar bottels)  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I like to support my local brewers.
So for cheap: Olympia or Rainier
Not-so cheap: Red Hook or Mac & Jack

But, honestly it's all pretty good to me!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Falls City, $10 a cold case here in my area.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Milyuckies-Worst, what you guys call the Beast.
Schafer
Busch
Colt 45 40's
The Bull

TS
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
PBR, High Life and Hudy Delight.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
PBR
View Quote

[url]http://tsbolton.com/booth/beertalk.wav[/url]

Warning... naughty language. Turn your speakers down.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Schaefer, when I was in college in the late '80s you could get a case of bar bottles for $5. It also has the best beer slogan. It's the beer to have when you're having more than one. best served extremely cold.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#25]
What ever happened to Black Label?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't drink, but as long as I can remember, my Dad always bought what I affectionately refer to as "Death in a tall green bottle"

Rolling Rock.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Hamms the Beer refreshing,Hamms the Beer refreshing,Hamms.Sure do miss the commercials they were works of art!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
In College, we drank alot of Olympia.   It says "GOOD LUCK," with a guy winking on the can....How low budget can one get!?!?!

Needless to say, it's been 10 years since I've consumed Olympia...Gee, I grauduated 10 years ago, coincidence.

IIRC, it was like $5-$6 a case.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Since I don't have a favorite cheap beer (can't stand the stuff), I'll give you my LEAST favorite cheap beer:  CAMO......the 40-ounce if you can get it.  It tastes like syrup and motor oil.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Old Style in bottles was what we used to drink in college in Omaha. I think a 12 pack went for about $3.50.

I can't find it in Colorado, so I drink Miller instead, the champagne of ales, what I drank in high school.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Honestly if I can't get a beer that tastes good, I'd rather drink water. My go to beer is Pilsner Urquell. It's a good daily drinker. $10.00 a twelve pack with my discount card at Safeway right now. I just can't drink shitty beer. Home brew is a good cheap way to drink fresh beer that tastes good. Can't rationalize drinking Bud light. I just don't want to get drunk that bad. Oh, and if some of you guys like Blue Moon(brewed by Coors), you'll really like a real Belgian Whit like Hoegarden(sp). If you're talking bang for the buck with good taste, most micro breweries have good deals on growlers. My nearest brewery has a 6.5%abv. pale ale that I get half a gallon for $6.00. That'll usually do the job. There is a beer store down the road selling Delirium Nocturnum 8.5% abv. in 750cc bottles for $4.99. Never seen it that cheap. Bought a whole bunch of em. Excellent beer.
Skoal!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Bud Light
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I got some stuff steele reserve in Montana, cheap, decent if cold, and 8.something%
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Honestly if I can't get a beer that tastes good, I'd rather drink water. My go to beer is Pilsner Urquell. It's a good daily drinker. $10.00 a twelve pack with my discount card at Safeway right now. I just can't drink shitty beer. Home brew is a good cheap way to drink fresh beer that tastes good. Can't rationalize drinking Bud light. I just don't want to get drunk that bad. Oh, and if some of you guys like Blue Moon(brewed by Coors), you'll really like a real Belgian Whit like Hoegarden(sp). If you're talking bang for the buck with good taste, most micro breweries have good deals on growlers. My nearest brewery has a 6.5%abv. pale ale that I get half a gallon for $6.00. That'll usually do the job. There is a beer store down the road selling Delirium Nocturnum 8.5% abv. in 750cc bottles for $4.99. Never seen it that cheap. Bought a whole bunch of em. Excellent beer.
Skoal!  
View Quote

I lived in MD (Frederick and Montgomery Village) for a couple of years (May '99 thru May '01) and I used to LOVE Brewer's Alley.  Ever heard of it?  Man, I miss that place.  Barley and Hops ain't too bad, either.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#35]
The Beast! (Milwaukees Best)

Satisfying after a long work day and cheap enough to chug and not feel guilty! Pretty good shit, IMO.   [booze][smoke]

-T.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Old Milwaukee
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I got some stuff steele reserve in Montana, cheap, decent if cold, and 8.something%
View Quote

Steel Reserve 211!!  Hell yeah!  I had that once during my cross country travels when I was in Maryland.  But that was just whgen they were getting off the ground and hadn't set up many distributors.  I couldn't find it anywhere!  Not in Texas, not in Pennsylvania, not in New York State!  What a pain in the ass!

Then when my brother moved to Ohio, he said it was everywhere.  So I made him bring me a case everytime he came to visit.

Then, just recently, the convenience store next to me started carrying it. [banana] When I walked into that store, and saw Steel Reserve in the cooler, I knew my life would never again be the same.

Steel Reserve is GREAT SHIT!  But when you open a can of that stuff, understand you're making a [u]commitment[/u].  You can't just drink a can of it and walk away without a serious buzz going.
[booze] [booze] [banana]

-Nick Viejo [booze]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I get 18packs of longneck Coors at the local market for $9.00 on sale.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#39]
White can, black lettering saying BEER.

In Jr high, we used to save our pennies(rob dad's change tin) and have someone buy us PEARL by the case. What was it, about $5.00 a case? Nasty shit, but a Jr high favorite!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Steel Reserve 211!!  Hell yeah!  I had that once during my cross country travels when I was in Maryland.  But that was just whgen they were getting off the ground and hadn't set up many distributors.  I couldn't find it anywhere!  Not in Texas, not in Pennsylvania, not in New York State!  What a pain in the ass!

Then when my brother moved to Ohio, he said it was everywhere.  So I made him bring me a case everytime he came to visit.

Then, just recently, the convenience store next to me started carrying it. [banana] When I walked into that store, and saw Steel Reserve in the cooler, I knew my life would never again be the same.

Steel Reserve is GREAT SHIT!  But when you open a can of that stuff, understand you're making a [u]commitment[/u].  You can't just drink a can of it and walk away without a serious buzz going.
[booze] [booze] [banana]

-Nick Viejo [booze]
View Quote

Also I can get a 40 of that for like $2, if I got my glock and sit in my 95 black SS Impala I feel like a true thug.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
White can, black lettering saying BEER.

In Jr high, we used to save our pennies(rob dad's change tin) and have someone buy us PEARL by the case. What was it, about $5.00 a case? Nasty shit, but a Jr high favorite!
View Quote

I remember the generic beer.  We used to get it for 4 bucks a case in the late 70's.  Schaffer was right behind it, closely followed by Old Milwaukee and Olympia.  Don't forget Carling Black label.  What about Hamms?
[beer]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#42]
cheapest I've gone is bud, possibly bud light
light beer sucks
I usually drink Labatt Blue
if I'm going to go cheap I'll drink pop iced tea or water
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#43]
As far as I am Concerned the only decent beer is Miller High Life, It also happens to be cheap." The CHAM-PAG-NE of beers" says so right on the label
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What ever happened to Black Label?
View Quote

I think my friends and I drank it all.

TS
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone remember 'Billy Beer'?

[img]http://www.rustycans.com/Billy.GIF[/img]

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]
This right here.

[img]http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/images/l_spottedcow2.gif[/img]

(can I get a Dane County "hell yeah!"?)
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Miller High Life is great!

I love the commercials, especially the one poking fun at opec.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Chuckhammer,
I've heard good things about brewers alley. Now you've inspired me to go check it out. Brewer's Art in Baltimore is still my favorite. They have good strong Belgian beer on tap for a reasonable price. Just don't eat at a table unless you want to spend some dough. The bar food is good enough for me. There are a lot of good micros around MD. My next trip will be to Victory brewery in Penn. They have an Imperial Stout that alone makes the trip worthwhile.
Prost!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Keystone Light.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Cheapest my household sees is Bud-Light.

You can get the stuff for 9 bucks a 20 pack at HEB here in Austin when they have sales.

I bought 10 of them at the last sale. I beleive we are down to our last 20 thought.

Since I grew up in STL and only drank AB products my whole life, Bud or Mich light is the only beer I drink, (along with XX lager since I moved to Texas 9 years ago, but don't tell any of my friend from STL).

Just personal preference I guess.

James
Austin Texas

BTY, I will agree with the post above that Camo 20oz's is the worst beer of all time. I had a friend buy me a 20oz on a road-trip through the Ozarks in MO. After the first sip the only person who got to drink the rest of it was the sleek grill of "Mr. Rental Car #2" behind me with my asshole friend whom bought me the CAMO behind the wheel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top