Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 10:23:02 AM EDT
My buddy runs an RV camp in New Mexico. On May the third someone stole his 6 year old border collie. My friend is heartbroken as you can imagine.
 Some one saw a couple trying to get the dog into their trailer about 4PM the day before the dog went missing. These people left at 4AM the next day. My buddy had a PO Box address for them. I looked them up on the net and got a street address and phone number. They are about 6 hours drive away from me. I called the number and got an answering machine. This tends to make me think they are still on the road.
 However, I will still drive down there and see if they have the dog. I have pictures of the dog from last summer and a discription of some special markings etc.
 Any ideas as how to proceede? If I find the dog should I involve the local police? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
shit.  Police, or no police.

What a dilemma.  My 'for public consumption' advice would be to call the police.

My private 'what I'd actually do' thoughts include a pair of pliers, jumper cables, and a couple of saltwater-wet sponges.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I know this dog well. He is the park mascot. He played with everyone. As far as I know my buddy did not know these people. The dog is missing a tooth ( I know which one ) and has some scars. I do not think he is tatooed or chipped. The dog knows me. If he is in their yard maybe I could call him over and take him back.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can get to him, snatch him.

It's not stealing, it's recovery.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
You are one loyal friend and whatever the outcome I'm sure your buddy who is missing his dog is extremely grateful.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
If you believe your pet has been stolen, also take the following action:

Immediately contact your police or sheriff's department. Insist on filing a stolen property report. Law enforcement may not take an interest in your case, but remind them that [b]stolen property[/b] is either a felony or misdemeanor under state law. It is also important that a report be on file to help you identify your pet, if found; and to help prosecute thieves.
Call 1-800-STOLEN PET, a pet theft hotline operated by In Defense of Animals, that may be able to provide assistance.
Under the Freedom of Information Act, you may obtain a listing of Class B dealers in any area, provided by the USDA. Once you are in this website, click through to Animal Welfare, then Animal Care Facilities Information.
Call your local animal welfare organizations to report the theft.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Doublefeed, I don't understand you. I thought I was clear. I am only taking my SIG with me, certainly not enough to shoot down an A10
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You can shoot down an A-10 with a SIG, but only the ones with aux fuel tanks and you must keep your clothes on!

Good luck with finding the dog.  It's hard to say what their intentions were for taking it.  Hopefully getting him back won't be too difficult.  You are a good person to to this for your friend![beer]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It's OK folks. The A10 came down in a military reservation.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#13]
If the dog was roaming about the camp, is there a chance that the people thought he was a stray and thought they were doing a good deed by taking him in?  Was he wearing a collar & tag, rabies as well as nametag?
I'm only asking because you may well wind up getting YOURSELF shot.  If these people think they were doing a good deed and see you in the yard trying to take "their" dog, you could wind up setting off a whole shitstorm of touble for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Seek and Recover
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top