Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 7:07:22 PM EDT
Ok, what is the best quake-like game out there right now.

I liked doom and quake, but not into tournament stuff.  Just first person stuff against the machine.  Is unreal this way?

Thanks

BTW, computer power is not a problem.

TXL
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Its not out yet but DOOM III looks to be like the king to be
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Operation Flashpoint!  Great single-splayer campaigns, two expansions.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
if you want something semi-realistic but still fast paced try BF1942, if you want a real military sim, try Americas Army(its  free)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
OPFLASH isn't exactly 'quake-like'. Actually, it's on the opposite end of the shooter spectrum; It's the best in tactical shooters (IE: control your squad, have someone snipe their landed helicopter's pilot, capture heli, empty out enemy base with said heli).

Unreal 2 is a great quake-style game (several unreal 2's, I think :tournament is the other).

Edit: Battlefield 1942 and Red Faction 2 are another good pair to check out.

Edit#2: America's army may be free, but it sure as hell ain't a military simulator.

Operation Flashpoint actually is one(military sim) (theres even an LEO-type version that's a little more expensive and can only be ordered from the dev's website- I think its re-tooled for Virtual Reality play)
Hell, in what other game can you drive a tank, fly a helicopter, steal an enemy truck, and hijack a bunch of enemy supplies all in the same mission?

[url]www.americasarmy.com[/url]
Worth a try- hell, its free (albeit 300 megs)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Half-Life 2 comes out soon. I just watched the trailer video and I think thats going to be the game to beat.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is really good

the US Army makes a game called "America's Army" That you can download and play for free (Your taxes already paid for it)  The graphics are good and it is extremly realistic (You get shot, you'll probably die)

Or any of the Tom Clancy Rainbow 6 titles
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Get Vietcong it was good, postal 2 was also good.  only problem they both are short.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, yes, postal 2... hehehe, no other game where you can walk around a city block setting people on fire then pee yourself out after you get careless.
If I recall, There's a demo of it available on [url]www.gigex.com[/url]

Vietcong was nice... Gets boring fast though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I rented "return to castle wolfenstein" today for Xbox. ITs kinda slow at first until dead mummies start popping up. It gets pretty creepy because of the theme music and sound affects.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
America's Army is being used in a few places in the military. As I recall they've got it at West Point. It's been used in a couple other places as well, for example shooting instruction. The students seem to pick up the basics pretty quick after both playing the game and receiving instructor input. The game exaggerates certain aspects of shooting that the students pick up on and carry back to the range.

Some other people, not in the military, are interested in it too.

The commercial gaming world has made quite an impression on the military simulation community. I think we're in the early stages of that, and we'll see a lot more. The commercial games can't do some things--you're not going to do a brigade-level simulation--but you can get some surprisingly good results in certain problem domains fast compared to the other options.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Unreal 2 is out now and it kicks ass, at least the demo was.  Sweet graphics, sweet weapons and it's fairly intense.  Looks like a great game.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]
so unreal 2 is very similar to quake?

TXL
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with Operational Flashpoint, I spent countless hours playing this game. A sequel is in the works also!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
No vote for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault?

It's a good WWII based FPS.  Decent realism, good graphics and music.  Single player action is fun, multiplayer is pretty fun, too!

Then get Spearhead to add on to it.  Looking forward to future installments.  As far as I know, there might be a Pacific theatre rendition out in the next year or so.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree with Operational Flashpoint, I spent countless hours playing this game. A sequel is in the works also!
View Quote

Ahem brother!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top