Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 4:49:50 PM EDT
The Barrett is a documented USMC Desert Storm Issue rifle, there are only 31 in civilian hands and the values keep climbing on the collectors market. The Barrett M82A1 has a certificate of Authenticity issued by Barrett, they replaced the barrel with a new as I wanted to shoot it and I still have the original. It has a rare USMC Leupold M1 Ultra Scope with the green anti laser coating. There are not many of these floating around either.

The M16 is a GM Hydromatic M16. It is US Property marked and has its own history and collectability value. The M16 is set up as a M4 with all Colt parts but with a poor finish on the lower.

The Barretts have been climbing in value pretty fast on the collectors market, or at least the asking prices are high. On the other hand, the RR M16s have been climbing like crazy as well with US Prop marked ones leading the pack...

The Barrett is great, but no where really to shoot it here over 300 yards, not exactly enough... I sold my last M16 a little over a year ago and have been missing it every since...

Any opinions? Thoughts?  What would you do?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
keep the barrett, no question
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep the barret!!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are great guns. Id personally keep the barrett.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't really know about the collector values, but personally, I'd trade for the M16. I would only get to shoot the .50 maybe twice a year. The M16? I'd shoot that mo-fo every weekend.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
keep the barrett, no question
View Quote

What he said!
View Quote

Add a poll, I think most of us will agree here though....
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't really know about the collector values, but personally, I'd trade for the M16. I would only get to shoot the .50 maybe twice a year. The M16? I'd shoot that mo-fo every weekend.
View Quote

^^^What he said...

If your 'gonna own it to shoot it, I'd go M16.
You can throw a different upper on it every week and have a new rifle.
If you're only in it as an investment, then sell the Barret and don't buy anything.
Leave the guns available for those of us that actually shoot them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Does the m16 come with any amnesty papers, proof of FOI request, or other supporting documentation?  

rssc
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#9]
give me the barrett and buy the M16 [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say keep the barrett. An M-16 is an M-16 is an M-16,  but what you have is a peice of history.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the M16.  

The Barrett is just a normal Title I gun despite being uncommon.  They'll make more.  Right now transferrable machineguns are like real estate; they're not making any more.  
It sounds like the history of the Barrett is important to you.  You should think long and hard about trading something with THAT kind of history for something with arguable less military significance.

I'm not an Barrett hater and dig the .50 as much as anyone but the M16 is less of a PITA to enjoy.
If it were me, that Barrett would be gone.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
whats wrong with both?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're only in it as an investment, then sell the Barret and don't buy anything.
View Quote

Yeah, the last M16 I had almost broke me as all my "shootin" buddies like to come over and burn up all my ammo. Hmm, kinda like this Barrett...

That 300 yard range I was referring to is my back yard, I rented a dozer and bingo, a safe range. I love to shoot. I do look at the historical values though. My prize piece is a Harpers Ferry, I don't shoot it though as I figure it would blow up.  BTW, Barrett has two T's.

rssc, its on a form 3, other than that...

Anyhow, its a tough choice to make. I guess I could risk a divorce and just buy the M16 and keep the Barrett too. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
whats wrong with both?
View Quote

i'm with him
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
M16 would be my choice, but only because I find them more versatile.  Personal preference, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, the last M16 I had almost broke me as all my "shootin" buddies like to come over and burn up all my ammo. Hmm, kinda like this Barrett...

That 300 yard range I was referring to is my back yard, I rented a dozer and bingo, a safe range. I love to shoot. I do look at the historical values though. My prize piece is a Harpers Ferry, I don't shoot it though as I figure it would blow up.  BTW, Barrett has two T's.

rssc, its on a form 3, other than that...

Anyhow, its a tough choice to make. I guess I could risk a divorce and just buy the M16 and keep the Barrett too. [:D]
View Quote

JC_

Keep in mind some property marked M16's are in fact mis marked rewelds.  Without supporting documentation it's pretty hard to tell.  Despite this people still pay more for a property marked gun $12.5K give or take a grand.  I don't know what the Barret's worth but keep that in mind when dealing with the M16 if you're looking at at from a value perspective.  Now if you find a property marked M16 that has an established/documented military history you've got a hell of a nice piece!  Setting aside monetary value the M16 would be my pick.  

rssc
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Those Barrett's are cut for SLAP rounds anyways, aren't they? I understood regular "civie" ammo wouldn't perform really well in them w/o some work (hence messing up the collectable value?).

I has my hands on one of the 31rifles about a year ago...nice but I'd rather buy new from the foactory and shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
there may be more barretts being made but theres only 31 documented Desert Storm guns in private hands and when 50 BMG's get added to the DD list there value will climb even more then a regular barrett.

Id save and get a M16 and keep that Barrett.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The M16 is a GM Hydromatic M16. It is US Property marked and has its own history and collectability value. The M16 is set up as a M4 with all Colt parts but with a poor finish on the lower.

Any opinions? Thoughts?  What would you do?
View Quote

Poor finish on lower? Humm..

Lower receiver a reweld? If you are not sure, probably something you want to verify before hand.

Over the past 20 years, the majority of the GM Hydro's that I have seen for sale were in fact rewelds. Uncut lowers are indeed rare.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep the 50. Everyone and their dog is wanting to ban them now, and if it goes the wrong way, you may mess up your chances of getting another one. Save up, buy an M16 later.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Get both!

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
How tight is that old Marine M82?

I remember when these things were hitting over on Biggerhammer.net and everyone was going crazy over them a few years back.   Some were raising concerns over the condition of the rifles and whether they could stand to benefit from a rebuild.

What's the condition of your M82?   Used and abused or does it look like it's in good shape and could stand to go the distance for several more years?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey uglygun, long time...

The Unit is nice and tight, like I mentioned earlier, Barrett removed the original SLAP barrel and replaced it with a new production one. I do have the original SLAP barrel though.

You guys/gals have been a big help, like the poll I was back and forth but think I should probably stick with the Barrett.

Thanks, JC

on the other hand, a M16 is great fun...  [%|]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey JC-

If you aren't going to trade, I'll swap a Barrett Model 82 (Pre-A1) with documentation that it was a movie gun (Used in the movie Robocop) for the M16.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd take the M-16. You can have the lower refinished by Colt. If the Shrike beltfed upper ever makes it to full production, you can have a cool gun worth even more. Anything f/a is going to be worth the $$$$.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:50:47 AM EDT
[#27]
If it's property-marked, it's probably a reweld.

Not to many original non-rewelded property-marked transferrables available. I've heard something like 50 or so.

If it's original, go for it - it will appreciate at a much higher rate than the Barrett, which is a Title 1 gun and value wise will stay pretty static.

If it's a reweld, it's still going to appreciate faster than the Barrett - it'll catch it in value and keep going.

Tough call!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top