Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 8:18:37 AM EDT
do you prefer six point or 12 point sockets?
i like the 6 point's because i can loosen most bolts with boogered up heads and most of the time i can beat on a smaller socket to get a messed up nut or bolt off.  the problem is Sears never seems to put their 6 point sockets on sale.  they are having a pre-fathers day sale and there are lots of tool kits with 12 point sockets on sale.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Six-point. Lets you put more torque on a nut or bolt and won't "round-em-off".

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Some bolts require 12-point sockets.  On at least one car engine I've worked on the cylinder head bolts were like that.

For good 6-point sockets, look at discount places like Harbor Freight Tools or even warehouse stores like Costco for sets intended to be used with pneumatic drivers.  They're thicker and much tougher than ones meant for hand tools only.  The downside is that in some situations you need a thin-walled socket.

More tools.  The answer is always more tools.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]

that depends, what did they use in the movie "Heat"?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Makes no difference to me.  
I use Vise-Grips for all my fastener removal needs. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
6 point....more torque.  And as the ladies say it's all about torqueing the sides.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
12 Then you can use them on square bolts.
Which I tend to run into from time to time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]
more commonly, you'll need 6 points, more torque capability.  however, 12 points are indisposable in alot of situations as well.  i've never been to sears and not bought more tools, i'll 2nd it "more tools, the answer is always more tools"

speaking of which, the new rounded off nut extractors work like a friggin charm.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the 6 point and 12 point sockets, but I perfer the 6 point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top