Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 7:23:22 AM EDT
Sig P220 .45

I was shooting a IPSC match at Black Creek right outside of Richmond VA and it had rained on and off for a few days before. The range has a dirt/clay base with grass growing were it can.

It was the first stage of the match and I was the 3rd shooter. The course was tough on your footing because you had to sprint to at least 3 shooting positions. Two of them required you to shoot through 55 gal. drums about 16" off the ground and get back up and run 25ft to the next drum and then run 30ft to 2 laying down target behind cover make a 90 deg turn and shoot 2 more laying down target behind hard cover.

Before I fell I had all A or B hits on paper and a good time. I was going my normal speed to engage the lay down targets behind a wall of 26" of hard cover. You have to get right up and lean over the cover to shoot them. I was almost at the target and was already aiming at the targets, so my finger should have been on the trigger. I then put my heel down to stop and it SLIPPED out, I tried to dig my other foot in and it slipped too. Both feet out straight out at a 90 deg. angle or more , like falling on ice, Slam on the ground hard. I looked at the pistol and its pointed in a good direction and finger is up on the frame [:D] I just lay there thinking oK everybody else must be freaked out ( I would be if it happened to someone else) The RO said STOP I did.Then I hear people shouting dont stop !!! get up SHOOT SHOOT!!!. I looked at the RO and he said OK. I got up and start engaging targets two sets of two and then run to the next set behind cover and engage those too. At the end I had lost my hat, ear muff( I was glad I double up with foam ear plugs) all my extra mags and part of my belt. I never hit my head but I had mud from back of my knee's to right below my shoulder blades.

I though I would catch some grief about being unsafe. Nope, any comments I got were good job keeping control of the weapon and was I OK . Nobody gave me any shit at all ? The match director was in our squad and said the weapon was never out of control and said it looked good ? He asked if I wanted a reshoot because the RO had told me to stop. I took the reshoot and I dont think I did as well the 2nd time. Shots were wide and I went real slow. I was a little shaken.

It started to rain again and it washed the mud off my ass so the rain was good for something. The next stage the sun came out and it turned out to be a great day. [:D]

Back hurts, a little today and stomach muscles feel like I did 1000 sit ups.

Running and gunning you gotta love it. I am going to go out and buy some cleats.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Great. Another gun related accident.

[:D]

Glad your OK.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
 Sounds like a good training day. Sometimes you get tripped up. I switched to holding my trigger finger under the trigger guard so if I fall and convulsivley grip the gun, I don't crank off a round. It works well. Too bad you didn't fall gun first in the mud and finish the course with your gun slinging mud on every shot. It makes you feel happy to shoot well when your gun is caked in mud, your hands are wet, and you have been forced out of your mental "zone". If you drop any of your full mags and run out of ammo before the course is done, you can still get points by producing a back up gun and continuing or get double pionts by pulling a knife and stabbing the shit out of the target.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad you're ok and had the presence of mind to safely control the weapon when all other means of control had been lost over your body! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Of course they were supportive and nice. Only a real friend would have the conviction to walk up to a person and say dude that was really retarded and laugh.
View Quote

Your right, I shoot with a few of these guys all the time but none of them are beer drinking buddies.

Rustygun
Sounds like a good training day. Sometimes you get tripped up. I switched to holding my trigger finger under the trigger guard so if I fall and convulsivley grip the gun, I don't crank off a round. It works well. Too bad you didn't fall gun first in the mud and finish the course with your gun slinging mud on every shot. It makes you feel happy to shoot well when your gun is caked in mud, your hands are wet, and you have been forced out of your mental "zone". If you drop any of your full mags and run out of ammo before the course is done, you can still get points by producing a back up gun and continuing or get double pionts by pulling a knife and stabbing the shit out of the target.
View Quote

NOPE no points for a back up gun. I checked the rules. The knife ?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
 I was just kidding about the back up gun and the knife, but hey, if a target is still there, you've got to engage it somehow. I did see a guy whip out a Chief Special one time at an informal match when his main gun jammed and it was funny as hell. It's good to be able to shoot well from whatever position you find yourself in, with whatever gun you've got, light or dark, drunk or sober. Sounds like if you hadn't been told to stop you would have still been pretty damn competitive.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing to be embarrassed about. So you slipped and fell. You kept control of your weapon and finished the course. I've seen it happen. In fact, it happened to a good friend of mine. Yes, I goof on him unmercifully. I have to. It's in the IPSC rule book somewhere, I'm sure. It's funny as hell to watch. I suppose it's not as funny when it's you though. Remember, the pain only lasts for a little while, the legend lives on.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn neck hurts today. whip lash, can I sue myself ?

I got the results in from the match

Overall score including all classes 24th out of 55 total shooters.

I took 5th in my class (limited 10) out of 12 shooters.

The stage I took the spill and then reshot was my worst one, 38th place screwed up the average. The second time I shot it was a lower point score and higher time, I am glad I reshot I would hate to have that mental image of being on my ass stuck in my mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top